DC Takes A Crack At Marvel

.....And I used to think so too. Until I read more DC.

Batman
Superman
Black Adam
Captain Marvel
The Question
Robin
Nightwing
Batgirl II
Supergirl
Deathstroke
Spectre
Zoom
Bizarro
Joker
Green Lantern

I could go on forever.

It is fact that at this moment DC is much much better than Marvel.

You forgot about Seven Soldiers, which is better than anything Marvel could ever dream of publishing.

DC too, for that matter.

civil war is awesome to though 52 is just to damn long. plus i dont think dc is that great i like flash batman and superman but everybody else sucks

Well think of it this way, Civil War 1 came out in May the same month as when 52 started, 52 has had an issue with out delayed every week. So depends on what you mean by "long" Yes 52 is much larger as in issue amount compare to the main civil war title, but through span of time are pretty close

You forgot about Seven Soldiers, which is better than anything Marvel could ever dream of publishing.

DC too, for that matter.

And they have western books that aren't just Brokeback Mountain stunts.

And they have western books that aren't just Brokeback Mountain stunts.

I assume you're talking about Rawhide Kid...the recent Marvel westerns weren't Rawhide Kid.

Of course, none were Jonah Hex, either.

I find it annoying the way there's lots of people with crap names in DC...like in identity crisis there's Dr. Light, Dr. Boomerang and ELongated man...seriously the first time i read that i was like that's gotta be a spoof. Though I think i prefer gruffness of green arrow to hawkeye, and i love batman/superman by jeph loeb, the way it shows how they're opposite in many ways like different ends on the superhero spectrum. I find there's too many characters in DC which seem to be exactly the same....like we've got 3 flashes, and i'm not really sure of the difference between superman/boy/girl/wonder woman/power girls powers...they all seem far too similar. Still there's nothing that beats a good batman story.

I find it annoying the way there's lots of people with crap names in DC...like in identity crisis there's Dr. Light, Dr. Boomerang and ELongated man...seriously the first time i read that i was like that's gotta be a spoof. Though I think i prefer gruffness of green arrow to hawkeye, and i love batman/superman by jeph loeb, the way it shows how they're opposite in many ways like different ends on the superhero spectrum. I find there's too many characters in DC which seem to be exactly the same....like we've got 3 flashes, and i'm not really sure of the difference between superman/boy/girl/wonder woman/power girls powers...they all seem far too similar. Still there's nothing that beats a good batman story.

Except...another batman story. Also, I think it's a matter of opinion on who is better. I mean, i love Marvel, But i won't knock on DC. At the same time at my shop, theres' group of marvel naysayers and DC naysayers that always argue and they usually have valid points. But the dc fanboys usually lose. i feel like i know more than they do. Some are too wrapped in superman or batman though and that is all they read. Even I know about seven soldiers by grant morrison, which i thought was a cool idea the way it was written. Also, I didn't know frankenstein was a character. Crazy stuff. Also, Dibny rocks, animal man rocks as does the question, all of whom i knew nothing about until 52.

Not to mention the whole constantly-changing-multiverse-crap that DC puts us through. The Bat-family, however, is usually pretty reliable.

Civil War is techinally 90something issues long.

And I used to think so too. Until I read more DC.

Batman
Superman
Black Adam
Captain Marvel
The Question
Robin
Nightwing
Batgirl II
Supergirl
Deathstroke
Spectre
Zoom
Bizarro
Joker
Green Lantern

I could go on forever.

It is fact that at this moment DC is much much better than Marvel.
Yes. DC is a much better company. It's just a fact.

And it's Marvel's own damn fault. The next time someone as brilliant as Alan Moore shows up, Marvel needs to know not to sue him the second he gets to America and effectively eliminate themselves entirely from the most important movement in comics history. Now, DC is home to Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, the Vertigo imprint, Promethea, Seven Soldiers and about a hundred other brilliant, medium-transforming books. And Marvel is home to...Nothing that comes close.

Yes. DC is a much better company. It's just a fact.

And it's Marvel's own damn fault. The next time someone as brilliant as Alan Moore shows up, Marvel needs to know not to sue him the second he gets to America and effectively eliminate themselves entirely from the most important movement in comics history. Now, DC is home to Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, the Vertigo imprint, Promethea, Seven Soldiers and about a hundred other brilliant, medium-transforming books. And Marvel is home to...Nothing that comes close.

Marvel as a great book every once and awhile but always find a while to screw it up.

I'll admit that I'm more of a "marvel guy" than a "DC guy" (although I do read both) so it's tough for me to sit here and take all of the bashing.

DC has just as many problems as Marvel.

I'll admit that I'm more of a "marvel guy" than a "DC guy" (although I do read both) so it's tough for me to sit here and take all of the bashing.

No. Marvel's problems overwhelm DC. I'm talking at this point in time.

Name one thing that rivals Mary "Demogoblin" Jane or Doc"Magneto"Ock.

Last edited:

I'm not bashing Marvel. I'm just saying that it's an undeniable fact that Marvel has yet to publish anything as incredible or profound as the Alan Moore/Grant Morrison/Vertigo/Wildstorm stuff that DC has done.

Marvel as a great book every once and awhile but always find a while to screw it up.

Yes. What was the last real epic they've had in a long time? New X-Men. And the second it was finished they started butchering it. It was unbelievable and sad.

I think DC seems to have a lot of the really good stand alone storys like watchmen and most of the vertigo imprint, but i think i prefer the standard marvel universe to the standard DC universe. I think Image also have a few self contained epics that I really like, such as rising stars, Fell and Wanted.

i think one of the reasons i prefer marvel to dc is looking at the main titles and i may be a bit niave here, I haven't read anything post crisis

DC: batman, superman, JLA, JSA, Outsiders, teen titans

there's no real distinguishment between JLA, JSA etc. they're just different teams with different flashes or different green lanterns. i read a bit of JLA but could never be bothered with the others.

Marvel: Daredevil, Spiderman, Avengers, F4 , X-men, Hulk ,Punisher

So the 3 team lines are all different, avengers is a mish mash of whoever each member has a unique origin, and you've got different dynamics, X-men all have the same origin so writers don't have to think up sketchy origin arcs. And F4 is like a Family, again different dynamics between members. Each team i feel is fairly distinct and has something different to say. Daredevil has got that same detectivey feel as batman (and many the same writers).. And where as superman is invincible, spidey isn't at all and he often gets beaten the crap out of....and everyone loves an underdog.....I'm probably being too unjust to superman here, i like his character in JLA and superman/batman I just don't think i'd ever be bothered to read his solo comic.

but punisher and hulk i find more interesting characters than wonder woman/superboy/ everyone in DC who has the same power

Tho nothing beats super pets

DC has great self-contined stories. But I really like how cohesive it is. It feels more like the same universe than Marvel does. It feels more like a mythology.

DC has great self-contined stories. But I really like how cohesive it is. It feels more like the same universe than Marvel does. It feels more like a mythology.

Really?

To me it feels like they are back in the 70's.

While Marvel is chilling in the 90's still, with the stupid varients and big guns stories...

Eh, I'm mad all around, but DC is doing nothing but rehashing silver gae nostaligia right now, ever since Inifinite Crisis basically.

ok id rather have 7 quality issues in a year than 52 less than stelar issues in a year

52 is so much more than you could handle.

52 is a whole different beast than your standard comic series. You're talking about a whole year's worth of storytelling...compared to a selfcontained arc. Plus they're balancing more than 20 different characters.

I haven't been following 52 because it's too long to hold my attention. I'll be reading it once it's fully collected.

Latest posts

Back