DC Universe Online

New preview

"Gameplay-wise, DCUO is all about physics-based action combat," Yanagi explained. "When you pick up the controls, the game feels much closer to a console action game rather than a traditional MMO. If you push a button, you punch. If you push it multiple times, you chain your attacks into a combo. If you throw a bus at your enemy, he'll get knocked back. Our goal is to deliver on the superhero power fantasy and this action/reaction feedback loop is critical to achieve this."

During the customisation process, the player chooses a city of origin. "Gotham City and Metropolis are definitely the main cities where a lot of the action takes place and they are both huge," the producer elaborated. "Metropolis is the size of New York but with a very art deco look. Gotham City is just as huge but it has a much darker Gothic aesthetic. Then we have some famous landmarks within each of those cities like the Daily Planet, Arkham Asylum, S.T.A.R. Labs, Ace Chemicals, Iceberg Lounge, Stryker's Island, and more. In addition, players can eventually work their way to the JLA Watchtower and the Hall of Doom."

No doubt the diehards will be delighted to hear that several high profile comic book creators were heavily involved in the project. Character models and backdrops were designed by renowned artist Jim Lee and the overarching storyline was penned by Geoff Johns, best known for his work on Green Lantern. Award-winning comic scribe and avid gamer Marv Wolfman will also contribute story arcs.

DCUO will be released for PlayStation 3 and PC. Although the MMO is well-trodden ground for the latter format, the console MMO is still in relative infancy. The studio's goal is to allow players on either platform to exist on the same server. According to Yanagi, optimising the title for both systems has proved the biggest challenge during production.

read more here : http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a200589/preview-dc-universe-online.html

Finally, a release date!

DCU ONLINE: Coming to PS3 and PC November 2010

tumblr_l3cpd8y4MW1qzxbido1_500.jpg

E3 2010: DC Universe Online Hands-On Preview

We've been waiting a long time for Sony Online Entertainment to deliver DC Universe Online. The company has been letting people go hands-on with the superhero MMO at Comic-Con every year, but whenever someone (read: me) asked about a release date, they were met with silence. At some point, you have to wonder if something went wrong. Is it ever coming out? Thankfully, the answer's yes. DC Universe Online is coming this November. (And yes, it's November 2010).

The more I hear about this game, the more I want it. It sounds to me like it's going to give the PS3 a lot of attention as well as set a new standard for MMO's.

I saw that the pre-order was up and went to click because the box art was also on there... Turns out you can sign up for the beta. I signed up for the PS3 beta. Any of you do that too? I'm ready to start playing this with you guys... Lets make a UC Villains group or something.

Reminds me of X-Men legends, only more bad ass. The bat armor is sweet.

Also, when does the beta begin? I know I signed up, but when can I actually start playing?

I respect the need for drama, but "how can we trust him" should never be a question in the JLA Watchtower. It should be replaced by "Diana, could you please use your lasso?"

Still looks cool.

I am buying a PS3 for this game specifically. **** Bluray, I could give a ****ing **** about Bluray. It's this game I want.

My TV is 1080p. Not bragging or anything just saying that I am very familiar with the unbridled awesomeness that is Hi Definition Television. I agree highly, but I get HD movies right now through X-Box in perfect 1080. I'm sure Bluray is great and all, but it can't be that much better than what I have now.

Another question concerning the beta -- will everyone that puts into be a part of it get accepted? I doubt it. And how do they judge who to include in the beta?

All I know is, when this game comes out - Gotham is MINE. Pry it from my cold dead hands.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I'm definitely starting a villain in Gotham, too. I'd ask to team up with you but ultimately, I feel like we'd just betray each other for complete domination.

All I know is, when this game comes out - Gotham is MINE. Pry it from my cold dead hands.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You can have Gotham. I want Metropolis. For one reason, I really want to kill superman. Not because I hate him either but just because he's so powerful that beating him would make me truly powerful!

Latest posts

Back