Devil May Cry and Bayonetta Timelines

Jozaca

Devil May Cry Games
Devil May Cry Novels
Devil May Cry Mangas

Devil May Cry Animated Series

Timeline 1 (Main Timeline) (under construction)
  • Devil May Cry
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
  • Devil May Cry
  • Devil May Cry: The Animated Series
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Devil May Cry 4 / Devil May Cry 4: Deadly Fortune*
  • Devil May Cry 5: Before The Nightmare
  • Devil May Cry 5: Visions of V
  • Devil May Cry 5

Timeline 2 (Reboot Timeline)
  • DmC: Devil May Cry

Last edited:

Jozaca

To be added:
-Dates (Relative to the games, since the games don't offer a date)
-Bayonetta (Wich may or may not be the same universe)
-The reboot doesn't have any adjacent material? Weird, probably it exist, so it would be added later
-Viewtiful Joe (Wich may or may not be the same universe as The Wonderful 101)

Last edited:

Megatron

To be added:
-Dates (Relative to the games, since the games don't offer a date)
-Bayonetta (Wich may or may not be the same universe)
-The reboot doesn't have any adjacent material? Weird, probably it exist, so it would be added later
-Viewtiful Joe (Wich may or may not be the same universe as The Wonderful 101)
1) I saw recently a series of 4 videos by the fouth snake, that gives an insight about the timeframe between each games (and spin off) calculating Dante's age. He didn't give a date but since I played a lot of capcom games, and I know that in every capcom series that the first game is set in the same year that is published. So I suggest you to use 2001 as the year where DMC 1 is set. If this is true then this is the placement: DMC 1 (novel), DMC 3 (manga) are set in 1991; DMC 3 (game) is set in 1992; DMC 1 (game) in 2001; DMC (anime) in 2017; DMC 2 (novel and game) in 2018; DMC 4 (novel and game) in 2021; DMC before the nightmare in 2026; DMC 5 in 2027. Anyway there are some media missing: the 2 DMC stage plays, the 2 CD drama for the anime and the DW comics for the first game.
2) Depends on which one you adress as more important. Capcom says that they aren't, Kamiya (creator of DMC) says that they are in the same universe.
3)There are two. A comic called "the chronicles of Vergil" and a DLC when you play as Vergil after the game. Always thx with the fourth snake and the date assumption everything in the reboot is set in 2013.
4) IDK.

Good luck with your work.

Jozaca

1) I saw recently a series of 4 videos by the fouth snake, that gives an insight about the timeframe between each games (and spin off) calculating Dante's age. He didn't give a date but since I played a lot of capcom games, and I know that in every capcom series that the first game is set in the same year that is published. So I suggest you to use 2001 as the year where DMC 1 is set. If this is true then this is the placement: DMC 1 (novel), DMC 3 (manga) are set in 1991; DMC 3 (game) is set in 1992; DMC 1 (game) in 2001; DMC (anime) in 2017; DMC 2 (novel and game) in 2018; DMC 4 (novel and game) in 2021; DMC before the nightmare in 2026; DMC 5 in 2027. Anyway there are some media missing: the 2 DMC stage plays, the 2 CD drama for the anime and the DW comics for the first game.
2) Depends on which one you adress as more important. Capcom says that they aren't, Kamiya (creator of DMC) says that they are in the same universe.
3)There are two. A comic called "the chronicles of Vergil" and a DLC when you play as Vergil after the game. Always thx with the fourth snake and the date assumption everything in the reboot is set in 2013.
4) IDK.

Good luck with your work.
1) I also saw the videos, but I am not sure if I am going to follow them since I think he made the majority of the timeline before DMC5 retconned the placement of 2, so I am not totlly sure if He updated the reasoning for them, but I don't know, if I don't have anything better I guess I would use his timeline. About the game being set in the year it is released, yes the logical asumption is that a game is set when it is released, because why wouldn't? But I am not going to put a date until I have watched/readed/played everything.
2) Yes I know. Does Capcom just not care or are they somehow triying to separate their universe from the Bayonnetta one? I mean the novel or the comic, I don't remember wich one, that acted as a prequel of DMC5 showed a reference to the DMC1 novel that confirmed its canonicity, so, someone at the writting team cares about the continuity, but in fact DMC5 contains also a detail that slightly contradicts Bayonetta: The hometown of Dante and Vergil is called Redgrave, that is also Dante's allias, that implies that Dante got the name from there and not from Tony Redgrave from Bayonetta.
3) I know about the DLC, I just forgot it. I didn't know about the comic. I guess I could also add PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale or whatever is called but I don't know if the game has any hint of it happening in the "main reboot universe" or if it is set in a composed world of the various franchises that it represents, like Super Smash Bros., and if it is a game that could be canon and the characters are dimension-hopping from their respective universes, then I would have to add God of War, Bioshock, Jak and Daxter, etc, so, I would leave that for later.
4) I thing there is some hint but I would get there later.
Thank you! I am glad to see that someone else is interested in this!

Megatron

1) I also saw the videos, but I am not sure if I am going to follow them since I think he made the majority of the timeline before DMC5 retconned the placement of 2, so I am not totlly sure if He updated the reasoning for them, but I don't know, if I don't have anything better I guess I would use his timeline. About the game being set in the year it is released, yes the logical asumption is that a game is set when it is released, because why wouldn't? But I am not going to put a date until I have watched/readed/played everything.
2) Yes I know. Does Capcom just not care or are they somehow triying to separate their universe from the Bayonnetta one? I mean the novel or the comic, I don't remember wich one, that acted as a prequel of DMC5 showed a reference to the DMC1 novel that confirmed its canonicity, so, someone at the writting team cares about the continuity, but in fact DMC5 contains also a detail that slightly contradicts Bayonetta: The hometown of Dante and Vergil is called Redgrave, that is also Dante's allias, that implies that Dante got the name from there and not from Tony Redgrave from Bayonetta.
3) I know about the DLC, I just forgot it. I didn't know about the comic. I guess I could also add PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale or whatever is called but I don't know if the game has any hint of it happening in the "main reboot universe" or if it is set in a composed world of the various franchises that it represents, like Super Smash Bros., and if it is a game that could be canon and the characters are dimension-hopping from their respective universes, then I would have to add God of War, Bioshock, Jak and Daxter, etc, so, I would leave that for later.
4) I thing there is some hint but I would get there later.
Thank you! I am glad to see that someone else is interested in this!
1) he did a video with DMC 5, I will link it to you.
2) If You want an opinion, I personally adress the creator of something more important than the producing company, so for me are both in the same universe.
3) Paystation All-Star is a mess I can't help you with every franchaise in it, I Know only for God of War and Bioschock. For GoW it's set between Gow 2 and Gow 3; for Bioschock is in an alternate Rapture Universe after Bioschock 1.
4) Like I sayed before IDK.