Dissapointment Theatre

Planet-man

Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
Have you ever seen a movie, either because of great reviews, your friends' talk about how good it is, Acadamy awards, or because it's considered a 'classic', only to discover it's a bunch of over-rated garbage?

I'll probably get a lot of guff for starting the thread with this one, but it's honestly the best example I can think of.

Fight Club

This movie is Mediocraty Incarnate. A wimpy guy living in a dank house listening to his roomate, who he hates, constantly doing it with a trampy girl who he hates even more.

It started out okay, but just got worse and worse.

Helana Bonham-Carter's performance was like watching someone do a bad impression of Allison from The Breakfast Club, only much more annoying because of her raspy, grating voice. Brad Pitt's was even worse. It was just him doing his patented "Smoldering Stare" for two hours.

The "Fight Club" scenes were boring and stupid and I even figured out the "suprise" ending about halfway through.

Anyway, it had a few saving graces, but not too many. Edward Norton gave a decent perfomance.

I'd give it a 4/10. It probably would've gotten a 6 if I hadn't spent the last few years listening to people rave about it.

So what about you? Have you ever had a similar experience while watching a movie?

Napolean Dynamite.

That movie was stupid on levels you can't even begin to understand. I am forever shamed that I payed money to see it cause everyone said how funny it was. It was garbage.

icemastertron said:
The hell is that? I never heard of it.

Some kid (Jake Gyllenhaal) sleepwalks out of his room late one night, and when he returns in the morning, he sees that where he would've slept has now been crushed by a plane turbine. Aided by Frank, the man from someplace else in the giant bunny suit, he learns that he is soon doomed to die.

Then there is all this crap about manipulated living and dead people, the past and the future, supernatural powers, time travel... it honestly doesn't make sense. It isn't a bad movie, I just think that the writer/director tried too hard to make a movie that would be a "cult classic." Granted, it now is a cult classic, so maybe I'm just talking out my ***.

You're probably really confused now, so here's a picture of the sexy Eliza Dushku to take your mind off things:

eliza_dushku010.jpg

Yeah... that's nice.

Last edited:
I have changed my mind.

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
The hell is that? I never heard of it.

Its really good, don't listen to that bum, and go make a decision about it yourself...

For me it was "Chicago"

Planet-man said:
Fight Club

This movie is Mediocraty Incarnate. A wimpy guy living in a dank house listening to his roomate, who he hates, constantly doing it with a trampy girl who he hates even more.

It started out okay, but just got worse and worse.

Helana Bonham-Carter's performance was like watching someone do a bad impression of Allison from The Breakfast Club, only much more annoying because of her raspy, grating voice. Brad Pitt's was even worse. It was just him doing his patented "Smoldering Stare" for two hours.

The "Fight Club" scenes were boring and stupid and I even figured out the "suprise" ending about halfway through.

Anyway, it had a few saving graces, but not too many. Edward Norton gave a decent perfomance.

I'd give it a 4/10. It probably would've gotten a 6 if I hadn't spent the last few years listening to people rave about it.

So what about you? Have you ever had a similar experience while watching a movie?

Finally someone that understand the mediocracy of this movie!!!
And who the hell would put a guy the beat himself as a leader of something? He's not the stupidiest, the others are.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Finally someone that understand the mediocracy of this movie!!!

I thought I was the only one! So this is what it feels like....*sob*...when doves cry!:cry::lol:

I am also one of the diminishing number of people who haven't seen Napolean Dynamite. I just haven't had the chance.

Another big disapointment was A History of Violence. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be the best reviewed movie of this year. I went in expecting another Sin City, and I tell you, it wudn't no Sin City.

Pirates of the Carribbean...........for so many reasons.

1. Despise Orlando Bloom......except as Legolas. He should only be allowed to play Legolas. Sorry Bloom...I know America loves you but LotR or STFU!!!

2. Hate Johhny Depp.......except as Edward Scissorhands and Cry-Baby (yeah---I don't know about that one either)

3. Pirates are boring......

I could go on....but I'll just close by saying that it was crap. I know it's a campy popcprn flick...but I hate it. I would rather watch Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor" 10 times in a row than see Pirates.

Citizen Kane. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and it's considered by a lot of elitist snobs to be a classic.

icemastertron said:
You're outta your mind. That was a good movie. You're just jealous.

How dare you persecute my beliefs in a thread designed to talk about overrated movies?!?!?! :shock:

Maybe you should change your name to IceBIGOTtron!!! :p Let go of the hate.......

:D

Pirates Of The Caribean was one of the best masterpieces ever.

Fight Club and Donny Darko were better than most movies. I highly enjoyed them both, but not as some of my higher favorites.

Latest posts

Back