Dreamcasting # 9 - The New Avengers

Okay, continuing my same thoughts as before, I've not gone for any huge stars, and I'm trying to be holisitic in the casting - i.e., treating the cast as a whole, not a sum of individuals - which made it hard to suddenly add four characters. So...

Jarvis - Jeffrey Jones
So... what the hell does Jarvis do in this film? What do we need him for? ****, I don't know. All I know is that the guy has to be recognizably distinctive, pleasant to watch, immediately friendly, but not dominating so we can forget about him without him being invisible. Jeffrey Jones I feel is a good fit, as he's never dominating (even when playing an emperor) but is wonderful every time you see him. Also, he's a big fellow, which won't make him disappear in this cast of heroes. I thought about Efram Zimbalist Jr, Jerry Orbach, Michael Moriarty, or even making Jarvis a woman, but in the end settled for this guy. He had to feel safe and helpful, and his role would be the 'father' figure for the group. He had to be paternal, but not dominating. Jarvis has to be something of a social chameleon, changing to fit each character. A war buddy for Cap, a sharp-witted maid for Iron Man, a caregiver for the Sentry, and so on. The idea of Jarvis would be to be a lot of small bit-parts collated into one character and one actor. Jeffrey Jones could do all this and more, I'm sure.
41874_2.jpg

Iron Fist - Ray Park
I thought about making him a woman. Iron Fist sucks. Basically, he's a hand-to-hand fighter. But he has no showy special powers like Iron Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman or whoever. He's like Luke Cage, appropriately, in that he's got nothing visual to work with, and is kinda eclipsed by the rest of the team. The trick then would be to make him and Luke Cage very much, partners as they are in the comic, and allow their stark contrast to make them, as a duo, more exciting. I imagine the two really working well together. Since we've got a big black guy for Luke Cage with a very friendly smile, I went for a more wiry, darker, sinister path for Iron Fist. Iron Fist would definately have more fun than the Van Damme's of this world, but he'd be the more sinister of the duo. I see him as the (if you can get your head round this) bombastic spy. Kind of James Bond Kung fu. Ray Park's british accent would also help make him more unique against the rest of the group, especially Hawkeye and Captain America, to more blonde, white boys in the group with no powers. And then we've got Spidey's flipping putting Iron Fist to shame too. Iron Fist's only way to not disappear is to really link him to Luke Cage (visually as well as story telling) and to make him of a different ethnicity to the other blonde white boys (Ray Park will not get confused for Nathan Fillion, and Nathan Fillion will not step on Ray Park's ability to be ominous). So, Iron Fist needs to be a kung fu killer, look unlike the other white boys, yet have different body movements to Spider-Man, and be able to have a lot of stylistic fun with Luke Cage. Ray Park it is.
4F1000014hw.JPG

Scarlet Witch - Neve Campbell
Scarlet Witch sucks. She's just like Invisible Woman and Phoenix. A good-looking woman who stands behind all the other characters, points at enemies to hurt them, have CGI special effects do her bidding, and then has a cliched' nose bleed. Yay. So **** that noise I say. Scarlet Witch in this creates her powers through dance (and it'll be hard to find a coreographer that won't make her look like a damn stripper). Instead of pointing, grimacing, and gesticulating, Scarlet Witch will pirrouette, stride, jump, and tumble to create her effects with a graceful beauty and effortless fluidity. Plus, as the only other woman on the team, she has to somehow not disappear against Spider-Woman. Who also does lots of agile movements. In a red costume. *sigh* Basically, I'd drop Spider-Woman because we have Spider-Man. And I'd cast Krista Allen as Mary Jane. But yes, this just makes me think how pointless Scarlet Witch and Spider-Woman are. I'd prefer to make a male hero a woman instead. But Neve Campbell has the sultry, dark mysterious thing going on, plus she can dance, so she's my Scarlet Witch.
neve_campbell1.jpg

Hawkeye - Timothy Olyphant
So, Hawkeye, essentially, does nothing. He's Robin Hood. He just shoots his arrows. The most common shot? A close-up of his face. So I want someone who will stick out against Nathan Fillion and Ray Park. I decided that Hawkeye would have a kind of dark, black sense of humour. He's a thrill-seeker, and hedonistic adventurer. He lacks the discipline of Iron Fist, and the burdened loss of Captain America. He's free, and he's a damn womanizer. He and Iron Man party all night. I'd see him as a bit more self-centered, and very much a rebel - yet, he has a very strong sense of morals, and does what's right. His mentor was a supervillain though, and despite his truly heroic nature, his brash heroism, there's a part of him that's forged by villainy. So that's all got to be conveyed in just how he smiles, and in his eyes. Timothy Olyphant can play a sherriff in Deadwood, and yet, be more sinister than the villain of the show, as Die Hard 4.0 will prove.
71141942qa4.jpg

Put a fork in me. I'm done.

Since that's pretty much all she wrote...

LET THE VOTING BEGIN!!!

Remember, we're just voting on these final four casting choices...

Jarvis - Jeffrey Jones
So... what the hell does Jarvis do in this film? What do we need him for? ****, I don't know. All I know is that the guy has to be recognizably distinctive, pleasant to watch, immediately friendly, but not dominating so we can forget about him without him being invisible. Jeffrey Jones I feel is a good fit, as he's never dominating (even when playing an emperor) but is wonderful every time you see him. Also, he's a big fellow, which won't make him disappear in this cast of heroes. I thought about Efram Zimbalist Jr, Jerry Orbach, Michael Moriarty, or even making Jarvis a woman, but in the end settled for this guy. He had to feel safe and helpful, and his role would be the 'father' figure for the group. He had to be paternal, but not dominating. Jarvis has to be something of a social chameleon, changing to fit each character. A war buddy for Cap, a sharp-witted maid for Iron Man, a caregiver for the Sentry, and so on. The idea of Jarvis would be to be a lot of small bit-parts collated into one character and one actor. Jeffrey Jones could do all this and more, I'm sure.
41874_2.jpg
I completely absolutely totalgasmically approve. BEST. JARVIS. EVER.

I also wouldn't mind Jones channeling some of his patented condescending smartmouth attitude that is more American than British into the Jarvis character effectively knocking off any of the "British snobby" demeanor that is stereotypically attributed to butlers.

Cheers 'chair. I didn't want Jarvis to be a British butler. I don't see the point. That's Alfred. I like to imagine Jarvis staying up till 3am drinking with Cap reminiscing about the 40s.

wasn't ray park cast as iron fist before?

...i smell a disqualification...:lol:

dont really though. he liked my cast list.

Last edited:
Yay! Thank you! I'd like to thank ME because I did it without any help, *******s.

What's my prize? :D

Latest posts

Back