Dredd 2 - Will it ever happen?

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So I love the Dredd film. Karl Urban did a fantastic job, and the approach to making it an R-rated film kept it in line with the source material, as well as the insistence by Urban that Dredd never remove his helmet (also in line with the comics).

Of course, the fact it was an R-rated, independently financed film may have led to it not quite making back it's budget at the box office (though I'm sure DVD sales have pushed it back into being profitable over all, however slightly). That in large part kind of killed any hope of seeing a sequel. However, Urban still hopes a sequel will happen, and their are a number of online petitions to urge the studio to do it. Of course, since it was an independent feature with different distributors in each country, all of those distributors would need to sign off to make a sequel happen, which is another hurdle.

I know I'd love to see it, though. At the very least, the Dredd film universe has been expanded through several comics: Top of the World, Ma-Ma (a prequel to the film) and Underbelly and Uprise (two sequels to the film published in the Judge Dredd Megazine, Uprise coming later this year).

But a sequel would reportedly focus on Dredd's fascist attitude, as well as a couple of classic stories from the comic. A potential third film would focus on the Dark Judges.

I wonder if the studio making it could use Kickstarter to get crowd funding from fans as a supplement to the studio's investment, thereby alleviating them of some risk.

Latest posts

Back