'DVD-Style Extras'? What's Up With That?

ourchair

Hey, I've got a short question. I've been collecting Daredevil since the start of Bendis' run, having found his work on Sam & Twitch most excellent. With the next hardcover coming out, I have to ask, what the hell does "DVD-style extras" mean?

Okay, hold on. I know what a DVD is. I have my fair share of special edition DVDs with fifteen billion hours of material in which the director, producer and actor wank each other to death over how brilliant they all are.

But see, the last time I bought a hardcover was with the first six arcs of Ultimate Spider-Man, and frankly they were really short of extras. Not that they were my reason for picking them up, but I just wanted to know especially because it's only been recently that Marvel has started to adopt this annoying by-line.

It's like they've been putting out hardcovers for a few years, then suddenly at around the time of the hardcover release of the first "season" of The Ultimates, they came up with that new catch-phrase: "With a hefty helping of DVD-style extras!!!"

And now they use that line for just about all their hardcovers, and it's beginning to make me wonder to what extent this statement holds true. Are these editions really as "deluxe" as they seem, or are they just like say, the regular paperback editions of Ultimate books, with only a short interview or a 3 page behind the scenes look?

So, to the point? What the hell does that phrase mean, and how much weight does it hold?

Basically, I think they refer to the half a dozen pages at the end where the writer and illustrator talk about the comic.

I think it's a bit stupid to use terms like "DVD extras" when its not a dvd, but a comic. But then I'm one of those guys who thinks its hard to break the conception that comics are just storyboards when everyone in the business talks bout doing widescreen comics and dvd extras.

Bass said:
Basically, I think they refer to the half a dozen pages at the end where the writer and illustrator talk about the comic.

I think it's a bit stupid to use terms like "DVD extras" when its not a dvd, but a comic. But then I'm one of those guys who thinks its hard to break the conception that comics are just storyboards when everyone in the business talks bout doing widescreen comics and dvd extras.
Half a dozen pages is NOT a hefty helping. If it were a hefty helping, you'd think those extras would eat up more than 2.5% of the page count.

But I agree, DVD extras is a stupid term. It's right there next to "second season" in place of relaunch. Absolute balderdash, they could just call it "special features" and "extra content". I think it's sad when the comics industry has to use the terminology of other media and entertainment industries in a thinly veiled attempt to legitimize itself.

ourchair said:
But I agree, DVD extras is a stupid term. It's right there next to "second season" in place of relaunch. Absolute balderdash, they could just call it "special features" and "extra content". I think it's sad when the comics industry has to use the terminology of other media and entertainment industries in a thinly veiled attempt to legitimize itself.

Because it's ultimately self-defeating.

Bass said:
Because it's ultimately self-defeating.

You get bonus points on this board for using "ultimate" like that.

That's a term i never understand for comics "Director's Cut" How do you direct a comic? Shouldn't it be called "writers cut" or "Special edition" or "The complete Edition" or something?

I'm nit picking or what ever but still it confuzzles me

That's a term i never understand for comics "Director's Cut" How do you direct a comic? Shouldn't it be called "writers cut" or "Special edition" or "The complete Edition" or something?
If it was called 'writer's cut' then the artists would quit. And they very well can't call it Editor's Cut, could they?

'Director's Cut' is basically not bowing to the ego of ANYBODY. Stupid, innit?

SSJmole said:
I'm nit picking or what ever but still it confuzzles me
Worry not, for this thread is exactly about picking nits over it.

Latest posts

Back