Greg Lantern the Movie

So yes, I'm sure it's possible to make Green Lantern awesome. Either because he's awesome and no one has done him right, or because someone looked at it sideways and redesigned it.

Geoff Johns has done nothing but right by the him.

And I can't wait to see it. I can't believe that it will be as bad as Fantastic Four.

You are quite right that someone can take a rubbish property and transform it into something incredible, but to do that they often fundamentally change it in some way. Hickman added the Future Foundation to FANTASTIC FOUR

Sorry, you lose me right there.

Re: Green Lantern-the Movie

In that FANTASTIC FOUR wasn't particularly good until Hickman started writing it.

In that FANTASTIC FOUR wasn't particularly good until Hickman started writing it.

Not being particularly good before he came aboard and being a rubbish property are two different things.

****. I hope this isn't as bad as some of the reviews make it seem. If it is it would be a shame, since there are quite a few talented individuals involved. If this doesn't do well I wonder what that will mean for future DC movies. All I want is a sequel with Hal vs. Sinestro.

I've read a lot of JLA and other DCU stuff, saw JUSTICE LEAGUE and what not. You can't get into DC without reading Green Lantern and I think he is a rubbish character.

So you have never read his solo title? It is somewhat unfair to say GL sucks a character, when you have only seen in series where he in a supporting role, rather then the main protagonist. If you want to be fair, you should read some of the recent GL solo series before saying he is a bad character.

You are quite right that someone can take a rubbish property and transform it into something incredible, but to do that they often fundamentally change it in some way. Hickman added the Future Foundation to FANTASTIC FOUR, Miller added Elektra, Bullseye and Kingpin to DAREDEVIL and turned it into a hard-boiled film noir, Moore changed the entire backstory of SWAMP THING and MARVELMAN to make them work, Wein and Cockram essentially created the X-MEN by adding Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus to the team, and on and on it goes. I think maybe Spidey is the only one who, out of the gate, worked well. Batman and Superman both needed retooling in their early years.ore

First there have good FF stories before Hickman came along. Second updating characters to fit more modern times makes sense and sometimes a character isn't going to find the right footing at first, like Daredevil.

And then you get things like IRON MAN or Ennis' PUNISHER which just did what everyone has been trying to do for 40 years and just do it properly. And certainly, adding stuff to a character can ruin them; Punisher killing for Heaven for example, or Spidey being a clone, and so on.

That's the nature of the beast, if you going to have different writers handle the same character over the period of decades, he is going to get some arcs here and there. You have to read strictly Vertigo or Manga to avoid that.

So yes, I'm sure it's possible to make Green Lantern awesome. Either because he's awesome and no one has done him right, or because someone looked at it sideways and redesigned it.

But I'm not surprised that the movie supposedly hasn't done either.

That said, I think what's unnecessarily harsh about my statement earlier, and what you're reacting to is that I said it was "good" that the movie sucked as if to say, "I don't want Green Lantern to exist anymore in any medium", which is not only what I meant, but stupid. I shouldn't take that much pleasure in his failing when I know I would prefer it if he were awesome.

So; I think Green Lantern is rubbish but I retract my earlier sentiment that it's a good thing his movie is apparently a failure.

Well if the movie is as bad as people are saying, then I hope it does do badly at the box office. Rewarding studios for making bad movies always sends the wrong message.

Last edited:

Not being particularly good before he came aboard and being a rubbish property are two different things.

I think the F4 are a pretty poopy property.

So you have never read his solo title? It is somewhat unfair to say GL sucks a character, when you have only seen in series where he in a supporting role, rather then the main protagonist. If you want to be fair, you should read some of the recent GL solo series before saying he is a bad character.

I'm read a little of the Geoff Johns stuff, and I've seen him in a lot of JLA stuff and none of it piqued my interest to get further into him. I think he is a poor character. But I was wrong to suggest that he should be dumped forever.

First there have good FF stories before Hickman came along. Second updating characters to fit more modern times makes sense and sometimes a character isn't going to find the right footing at first, like Daredevil.

The only good F4 story I can think of are Ellis' 12-issues in ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR and the EARTH X trilogy. I really didn't think Waid's run was any good, nor Straczynski's, nor Millar's, nor Byrne's. I never cared for them. Like Green Lantern, they were just there and I tolerated them because they had pedigree. But I don't think they were any good. I'm certain other people will disagree with me.

Why, oh why, isn't the Onion on 24/7 on every channel everywhere? The little bits at the end which were unrelated made me laugh so hard. Every time I see stuff from the Onion I crack up.

In other news: GREG LANTERN is down to 20% on Rotten Tomatoes. Yeesh. It's starting to sound like THE LAST AIRBENDER bad. Guess we can kiss Ryan Reynolds' DEADPOOL goodbye too.

Guess we can kiss Ryan Reynolds' DEADPOOL goodbye too.

I don't see why that would be. Even the negative reviews I have read seem to say that Reynolds has done a good job. This movie may very well be crap, but if it is I doubt it's due to Reynolds.

When a movie bombs, when it's this expensive, someone is going to get blamed for it. And I think the idea of Ryan Reynolds as a superhero called DEADPOOL will not be very sellable because execs would go, "Wasn't he already a superhero? And didn't that movie tank?" :/

When a movie bombs, when it's this expensive, someone is going to get blamed for it. And I think the idea of Ryan Reynolds as a superhero called DEADPOOL will not be very sellable because execs would go, "Wasn't he already a superhero? And didn't that movie tank?" :/

I don't know about that. After all, he already played the character in a movie that was at least somewhat successful (commercially). And you're assuming that because this movie looks like it might be bad it will bomb. I'm not sure that's the case, as I can see a lot of parents taking their kids to see this movie due to the lighter tone. I'm going to be really interested to see the Box Office come Monday.

Seeing this tomorrow night. I'll write about how it is. Hopefully not too painful. :/

This sounds as if he was still going for the part. He already has it. Besides, Donner & crew are still prepping the Deadpool movie with Reynolds so they won't be concerned too much with how this movie does. As far they could be thinking, they could say the story wasn't good enough and blah, blah, blah, and not be Reynolds fault, giving him a "better" chance with DP.

I read the IGN review just now (2 out of 5 stars. and if IGN doesn't like it...yeesh) apparently the main problem is
like 20 minutes of screentime is actually given to Oa and the rest is based on Earth.
which is a horrible decision for a movie like this. And they said Reynolds actually made a pretty good Green Lantern.

I'm with you. I know I'm not in the business or an actor but if I was I would stick to one role. And Reynolds was Deadpool. Sure, he showed himself in Blade III but I don't understand why he took this and actually thought it would work. Again, this is me talking as if I was offered "The Green Lantern" franchise. I would have told them absolutely not. Reboot Deadpool and carry it. This is going to kill a good shot at a Deadpool movie. Some of you guys want to see Green Lantern thrive. I would rather, especially, see Reynolds do Deadpool justice.

I am genuinely surprised at the reviews because from day one I've honestly believed that no matter what, it's still a Martin Campbell film. And I just have so much trouble imagining Martin Campbell making a film like what they're describing on RottenTomatoes that I'm still hoping it'll just click with me and my dad in some way on Friday night and we'll really enjoy it, at least, at least as a satisfying GL action movie. Staying out of this thread and away from the buzz until then....

Last edited:
I am genuinely surprised at the reviews because from day one I've honestly believed that no matter what, it's still a Martin Campbell film. And I just have so much trouble imagining Martin Campbell making a film like what they're describing on RottenTomatoes that I'm still hoping it'll just click with me and my dad in some way on Friday night and we'll really enjoy it, at least, at least as a satisfying GL action movie. Staying out of this thread and away from the buzz until then....

I'm with you. From what I've read the vast majority of the criticism has been aimed at the script. It would be a shame if this failed and killed future GL movies or movies involving DC characters besides the big 2. I'm hoping that if a sequel is made they go the quasi-reboot route ala the Hulk and Wolverine.

I'm with you. From what I've read the vast majority of the criticism has been aimed at the script.

Agreed. I just read a review from someone who rips the script/story. It is obvious this person is not a fan of the character or any of he story behind he character. I take all the bad reviews from people who don't know what they are talking about as a good thing since it seems this movie is more directed at actual fans of the comic.

I can deal with people criticizing the script because they don't like the Greg Lantern story. But I don't know if it's that or if it's like Fantastic Four and just....bad.

Latest posts

Back