Hellboy / B.P.R.D. (Mignola-verse)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So I've read the occasional Hellboy issue from time to time over my comics reading years, but never really paid much attention or made an effort to get into the books.

A few weeks ago I read an article about Mignola's plans to finally end the Hellboy universe, and I started looking into the universe and its various titles, and decided I'd dive in... from the beginning.

Thus, I started with the Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder stories (set in the late 1800's), then moved onto the Lobster Johnson tales set in the 1930's, and just finished reading Sledgehammer 44 and the BPRD tales set in the 1940's (1946, 1947, 1948, Vampire), before moving onto the later tales focusing on Hellboy, the BPRD, and Abe Sapien (and Frankenstein Underground) throughout the 1950's to present day.

I'm really enjoying it, overall. I'm not a big fan of horror in general, but Mignola's Hellboy universe appeals to me. It's a great blend of pulpy action, classic horror, and interesting themes of causality and escaping destiny/one's nature, all with a carefully planned and executed overall continuity that appeals to my inner comic continuity-nut.

And of course, I'm timelining it, so will get that posted over on thetimelinesite.com when it's done (which may be a few months to get through all the various Hellboy related tales).

Anyway, anyone else a fan of the Hellboy character/universe?

Hell yeah I am! Bruce Campbell Lobster Johnson movie when!!?

Oh yeah, I love Hellboy. Horror + Nazis + a lot of weird stuff. I may have well written it myself. They were really smart getting del Toro to do the films. Hopefully they'll make a third. I'm actually just about to start re-reading everything since it's coming to a supposed close. I'll pop in here and there so we can discuss in full if you want.

Oh yeah, I love Hellboy. Horror + Nazis + a lot of weird stuff. I may have well written it myself. They were really smart getting del Toro to do the films. Hopefully they'll make a third. I'm actually just about to start re-reading everything since it's coming to a supposed close. I'll pop in here and there so we can discuss in full if you want.

Yes! It's right up my alley for similar reasons.

And you're right, Del Toro was the perfect choice to direct the films (much as I enjoy them I prefer the comics, they just have more charm, somehow). Really hope they do the third one as well, dying to see how they address the "Liz pregnant with Hellboy's kid(s)" plot line, not to mention Hellboy fulfilling (or not fulfilling, preferably) his destiny.

Before you start re-reading everything, PM me, I'll direct you to a chronological something or other I put together.

But yeah, definitely let me know what you think as you go. I'm reading it chronologically and have gotten up to the 1960's era tales (after reading all the Witchfinder tales set in the late 1800's, all the Lobster Johnson tales set in the 1930's, and the Sledgehammer and BPRD tales set in the 1940's, and finally all the Hellboy and the BPRD and the various Hellboy tales set throughout the 1950's and 1960's).

I'll probably get into the 1970's and 1980's era stuff this week, and be well into the original Hellboy tales set in the 1990's by next week.

From there it'll be slow going since the bulk of all the BPRD issues occur during the 2000s and 2010s, and that's well over 100 issues, plus the various Hellboy tales set during that period.

I'm impressed with how it works reading it chronologically (including all the various short comic tales done in DHP, or exclusively done for the trades, etc). The continuity is very tight, and it's cool seeing characters resurface (like Von Klempt), and I'm really looking forward to figuring out what the deal is with Edward Grey (Witchfinder), who is either still alive or a spirit during the '90's/00's era when he starts popping up in Hellboy.

Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back