Help identifying an old story

maxnutter

This has been doing my head in for many a year, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, I apologise.

I remember reading this in the late 70s / early 80s (UK) and wondered if anyone recognised it.

I think it was in a reprint of one of those Tales from the crypt, EC horror comics or Uncanny Tales:

A newlywed couple takes their honeymoon on an ocean liner, but their voyage takes a horrific turn when the ship rescues a survivor from a small boat. This survivor carries a contagious disease that transforms anyone who touches them into a monster. As the disease rapidly spreads throughout the ship, the couple finds themselves trapped among the infected passengers and crew. Desperate to escape, they make their way to a window with the hope of reaching safety. The husband manages to climb out and into a lifeboat, but as his wife is about to follow, she is touched by one of the infected individuals. Realizing that she is now transformed into a monster, the husband, fearing for his life, leaves her behind and escapes in the lifeboat alone.

The monsters looked a bit like Ben Grimm or the Hulk, bulky, broad foreheads, deep set eyes, but that's all I remember!
Please help!

Latest posts

Back