Interesting Maybe?

-beardoms-

DC and Marvel are probably the two biggest comic book publishers. They both share similar story types (super hereos in a shared universe). Since DC began it has gone throuhg numerous re-inventions, time and time again, trying to bring new readers in. Marvel has done it, but not in the same vein as DC have. Marvel has done it once and after a while it reverted back to it's original continuity.

One thing that marvel has introduced is the Ultimate line, this line of comics has fans and haters. But hs been very popular (until recently it's gone down hill)

I propose that DC look into doing an alternate universe series, in the same vein as the ultimate series with just their major characters. DC has such a convulted back story, it has never appealed to me as much as Marvel does. I would definatley read an ultimate universe style of DC comics, focusing on Batman and Superman etc. Would you guys read it?

I would name it DC 101 and it would probably be just two ongoing series of DC 101: Superman and DC 101: Batman. Then we could get a few mini-series maybe a DC 101: Justice League which wold introduce new characters in to the comics line.

Last edited:
Like J said, All-Star is essentially DC's answer to the Ultimate Universe.

Years ago Wizard Magazine pitched some ideas for a regular Ultimate DC line. Here are the pictures of their Ultimate Superman and Batman.

superman.jpg

batman.jpg

Years ago Wizard Magazine pitched some ideas for a regular Ultimate DC line. Here are the pictures of their Ultimate Superman and Batman.

superman.jpg

batman.jpg

i remember seeing that picture of Superman...that must have been around 1995-96, eh?

all star batman and all star superman are pretty much those titles.

See, I disagree. The All-Star line is not the same as the Ultimate line. The only similarities are they are both free from the continuity of the main universes. However, the All-Star line were independant titles, not sharing a universe, characters, or plots. The Ultimate universe did share a universe, characters, and plotlines.

I think what beardoms is saying is he'd like DC to start an imprint of side/pocket-universe that is free from the decades of continuity like the All-Star titles, but one which starts its own internal continuity across titles like an Ultimate Superman, Ultimate Batman, Ultimate Justice League, etc.

And I agree.

Why ruin a good thing? PLus they have 51 other universes to tell those stories with now. We don't know where dc wants to go with those. I'm sure the all star series falls in place in one of those worlds.

I think what beardoms is saying is he'd like DC to start an imprint of side/pocket-universe that is free from the decades of continuity like the All-Star titles, but one which starts its own internal continuity across titles like an Ultimate Superman, Ultimate Batman, Ultimate Justice League, etc.

That's pretty much what i was saying. All Star comics in the DC universe are the same as Marvel age comics in the marvel universe, not the ultimate universe.

if they did this with DC i would seriously get it, i am not a fan of DC, never have been, because of continuity and everything etc. Just lets start the DC universe fresh without actually getting rid of the DC universe.

Also obviously it couldn't be called ultimate superman etc, because that's copywright, but i gave my opinion of what the banner title should be which should be DC 101.

Last edited:
See, I disagree. The All-Star line is not the same as the Ultimate line. The only similarities are they are both free from the continuity of the main universes. However, the All-Star line were independant titles, not sharing a universe, characters, or plots. The Ultimate universe did share a universe, characters, and plotlines.

And I agree.
Neither of us said it was the same thing. I said it was their "answer" to the Ultimate line.

As interesting as it may be I doubt we'll ever see DC do an Ultimate Universe. Especially considering what a disaster the original UU ended up as prior to the recent reboot.

As interesting as it may be I doubt we'll ever see DC do an Ultimate Universe. Especially considering what a disaster the original UU ended up as prior to the recent reboot.

The reboot wasn't the disaster, actually the two new rebooted titles have improves the comic series, it was the last few issues of the pre-rebooted series, all march on ultimatum and ultimatum stuff has been an epic fail.

The reboot wasn't the disaster, actually the two new rebooted titles have improves the comic series, it was the last few issues of the pre-rebooted series, all march on ultimatum and ultimatum stuff has been an epic fail.
I said...
Especially considering what a disaster the original UU ended up as prior to the recent reboot.
So we agree.

I haven't read the rebooted series yet, but I've heard they've been good. Still the fact that they had to reboot their streamlined new Universe already isn't a good sign.

Last edited:
Oh Well. Maybe if they got some decent writers, a DC version might work. Who Knows?? Hopefully it will happen.

Why ruin a good thing? PLus they have 51 other universes to tell those stories with now. We don't know where dc wants to go with those. I'm sure the all star series falls in place in one of those worlds.

But thats the point. All 52 of the DC universes have a huge back-story related to them. It comes down to a completionist view: they'll never get the whole story of the regular DC universes and its multi-verses (due to the decades of history and hundreds of thousands of issues) or even the Marvel universe. However, its possible to do that with the Ultimate Marvel universe, or with the theoretical Ultimate DC universe.

Of course, most comic fans probably don't care as much, but some people (like myself) are weirdo, obsessive fans who want it all. And this theoretical Ultimate DC universe would do that. All-Star didn't (as much as I loved both titles).

Neither of us said it was the same thing. I said it was their "answer" to the Ultimate line.

But its the wrong answer.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea at all. I think the one thing preventing DC from doing it would be fans complaining they copied the Ultimate universe idea.

But the All-Star titles shouldn't even be compared to the Ultimate line considering what I and Beardoms are looking for (and admittedly, probably many other fans of the idea). Sure, they're both free from the major lines continuity, but we're not looking for continuity-free, just a jumping on point. A new universe using some ideas from the old one, and a lot of new ideas, to shape an exciting and interesting take on the DC universe proper. Basically, an Ultimate DC. All-Star is not that, and really isn't even close, so I'm saying comparing the two and saying All-Star is "like" DC's version of the Ultimate comics doesn't make sense. Its not. The All-Star titles are merely Elseworlds stories, self contained (though ASB&R tied in with Frank Miller's TDK mythos). We want the occasional crossover, the occasional "event", etc. Why...? Just cause.

Still the fact that they had to reboot their streamlined new Universe already isn't a good sign.

Turn off the cynic drip, please.

I disagree. I'd say something that started as an experiment, exploded with popularity, and has lasted almost a decade IS a good sign, especially in the notorioulsy tough industry that is comics. Granted, major suckage ensued with Loeb and UXM and UFF's latter arcs, but overall the Ultimate line was a major success, both critically and financially. Why NOT try to repeat that? I'm not saying rip it off down to the Nth degree, but why not do something both similar but inventive and original?

Last edited:
Honestly I'd love an Ultimate style dc with new retelling of class origins and stories. Like an Ultimate Superman could have been awesome using Birthright as the 1st arc then followed up by redoing old stories in new ways.

But and I know people will hate me saying this, I hate Saying this. Smallville is basically an Ultimate Superman as they have redone it and retold the stories in new ways.

But yes I would love and would buy an ultimate DC

But back on topic...so yeah...a DC universe (Ultimate style) of three books would be great. One Superman, one Batman, and one JLA title. Granted, the JLA should only be Supes, Batman, and maybe Wonder Woman. I'd like to see less super-people having a bigger effect on the world than hundreds or thousands of supers having multiple very small effects (ie, basically whats happening in the Marvel and DC main universes).

Last edited by a moderator:
DIrishB you have the same ideas as i do! We should team up and do it together.

Hm.... We have a topic kind of like this somewhere, don't we?

Oh yeah. ;)

But yeah. Looking back, I'm not sure DC needs an Ultimate Universe. The UU over at Marvel was basically about taking the characters back to the roots of the Marvel U. DC, OTOH, is all about a fantasy universe with touches of self-aware meta-narrative. I'm not entirely sure it would work as well.

Joe's right. You're all just wusses.

Last edited:
Like DIrishB said, two or three ongoing series. I would personally pick two ongoing series. Batman and Superman and let the rest of the universe grow out of them.

I would not detail the two characters origin from get go, but it would be explained the fact they are reasonably new at the crime fighting business, probably about a few months in. The origins would be detailed maybe in a few issues after the beginning of the series.

Superman: Clark Kent is a young adult, early 20's, living his life travelling the world. He is looking for purpose in his life. His adoptive parents died when he was 16 killed by an unexplained house fire (really superman's powers manifesting). When staying in Metropolis he saves a young journalist's life and finds his real purpose. The idea of Krypton will be left ambiguous, Clark will not know his adoptive parents are actually his adoptive parents, the series would have a back story of him actually searching for his origins.

Batman: A young intellectual recluse, at the age of five his parents were held at gun point in their manor and were shot as young Bruce Wayne watched. He was taken under by a close friend of the Wayne's Alfred Pennyworth. When old enough Bruce Wayne chose to leave his residence and moved to a secluded house in the rocky mountains. After many years of living in a secluded life, he had built a relationship with a young Selina Kyle, and studied martial arts. One night be was haunted by visions of a bat, telling him to return to Gotham City. A city now plagued by Crime, he vowed to find the reason why his parents were killed, and too clean Gotham's streets.

Kent won't be a journalist from the start, there would be no batcave, Krypton would be a mystery, etc etc. This however would change as the story progress'. Also Superman i plan on basing him of Ultimate Thor un Ultimates 1 and 2, this would last until his origin story is revealed, however what i mean by this is the fact there was doubt whether Ultimate Thor was a god, i would use this concept on Superman and then revela he is an alien from a dead planet.

As the series continues we would see a Superman Vs Batman mini. This would hint to the formation of Justice League, as Superman Vs Batman would involve the origin of Wonder Woman.

Latest posts

Back