Is this possible?

Entropy

I'm looking for someone who can design a font for me. However, I've got a specific want that I'm not sure can be done.

See, I'm currently working on a collection of interlocking short stories, and one of the primary characters of several of them is grapheme synesthete. For those who don't know what that is and don't want to look it up, they are people that perceive letters as being colored. That is to say, to them the letter "A" is red, "Q" is yellow, etc. Now part of my narration involving him is going to involve how he gets caught up in these colors and they lend to him a different level of writing (for instance, he discusses how the word "dour" is a palindrome because the colors are the same backwards and forwards). The trouble is, I'm NOT a grapheme, so writing the text in black, while looking at a key, while trying to picture those letters as I type is not working.

So then, we get to the root of my problem. I need a font where each letter is colored differently and shows up like that as I type? Is this at all possible? I'm not at all picky about what type of font it is (though a ledgible font like Courier or Times Roman would be preferred), but it would have to be Mac compatible, and I'll specify what letters need to be what color. Anyone know where I can get this, or know how to do it and would be willing to help me out? If so, I'll name a character after you ;). Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm a grapheme synesthete(or at least some kind of one), and personally, I don't literally see the letters as being any colour, only think of them that way, mainly with individual letters, and not when reading or writing text. So, yeah... I'm just not sure how a character could derive levels of writing from something like this...

Last edited:
I'm a grapheme synesthete(or at least some kind of one), and personally, I don't literally see the letters as being any colour, only think of them that way, mainly with individual letters, and not when reading or writing text. So, yeah... I'm just not sure how a character could derive levels of writing from something like this...

Obviously the character's a stronger grapheme synesthete than you. You are weak in your graphemic synesthesia.

Really, that's interesting. I've been researching on the subject and I've read some accounts where synesthete's actually see the letters as colored, and have trouble with certain words that are similarly colored. I suppose that there are variations in the condition. My cousin and I are both musical synesthetes and, as near as we can tell anyways, we both experience it the same way (kind of like a phantasmic stream of colors). However, when I learned to read sheet music I actually began to see traces of the matching colors on the notes and scales, but my cousin doesn't.

Anyways, can anyone create the font :)?

I would try but I think my mind would leak out of my ears before I could even start.

Good luck.

Really, that's interesting. I've been researching on the subject and I've read some accounts where synesthete's actually see the letters as colored, and have trouble with certain words that are similarly colored.

That's really fascinating, just like the palindrome thing. I checked out the Wiki article on this and it mentioned an article I remember my mom reading to me quite a few years ago where a little girl remarked upon the strangeness of being able to turn a yellow letter("P") into an orange one("R") with just one extra line. It struck me as amusing back then, because "P" is so obviously a green letter and "R" a purple one.:wink:

There seems to be a fairly widespread consensus that "A" is red, though. Glad to see all of us synesthete's can agree on something.:D

I'm not like that at all, but I still think of A as red nonetheless. No other letters correspond to colors for me, though.

Must be the A is for Apple thing they teach kids growing up.

It struck me as amusing back then, because "P" is so obviously a green letter and "R" a purple one.:wink:

There seems to be a fairly widespread consensus that "A" is red, though. Glad to see all of us synesthete's can agree on something.:D

See, this is the kind of stuff I like to hear, it gives me food for thought. If you don't mind, what color do you perceive each letter being? Are there a whole crayon box full, or are they just relegated to the common rainbow? Are there multiple letters that are the same color? If you visualize a word, do you see the colors of the letters, or is just simply a word? Do you have dislikes or preferences to certain letters based on their color? How would you say that relates to their verbal sound? Do you perceive foreign letters like the cyrillic alphabet as colored?

Sorry for the barrage, I just like when I can actually get info direct from a subject and not through research. You know, on that "A" is red topic; "A" is the first letter of our alphabet and red is the first color of the rainbow. Is there any other connection along those lines for you? Like say, each vowel follows down the ROY G BIV, or some other noticeable pattern? Once again, sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate the info.

Latest posts

Back