Make the Gangsta Gaming Stop

ourchair

Am I the only person who thinks that crime and gangsters and street thugging and all that stuff is overused in games nowadays?

If I see another game that licenses American crime classics like Reservoir Dogs, Scarface, The Godfather or TV shows like The Sopranos I'm going to have to choke someone.

The same goes for titles that try to capitalize on the crime-glorification of GTA by making you an ambitious wannabe mob boss like Made Man and Mafia. No more hip hop fighting whatever like Def Jam Fight for NY either.

The sad thing is that some of these games are actually really good, (though some are atrociously bad). But is it too much to ask that the industry stop oversaturating us with gratuitous Mature Audiences Only material, as if somehow the only way to take violent games seriously is if they were Mature and featured Mature representations of criem?

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

I like alot of these games

-gta (can not wait for gta IV)
- saints row
- godfather

and more hell I even loved simpsons hit and run (the last level most of all)

They are all stupid now. I can understand liking them for a certain aspects (admittedly---I love Vice City but only because I love the 80s)....but their appeal stops there.

None of them are original and liking them is akin to being 10 and liking Yugi-Oh....it's just the in thing to do.

Sheep.

Last edited:
What gets me the most is that almost all of the people playing these types of games think it shows how mature they are. When, quite obviously, to anyone with half a brain, it does the opposite.

What gets me the most is that almost all of the people playing these types of games think it shows how mature they are. When, quite obviously, to anyone with half a brain, it does the opposite.

Battleship!

^^^ I like saying that instead of Yahtzee because I like to be different. :D

i luv hwo in gTa u can bang a hoe an' stel yur monee 4ft3rw4rds!!one11ione1

See.......my point exactly.

If gangsta games can turn a brilliant scientist into a text message typing foo'.......then think of what it's doing to our children's brains.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Un D3J4MFFNewYork, I did stuf wit' C4rm3n.

It waas aw3som3!!!!

GTA was fun. Gofather was cool. Fight for NY was pretty good but too many rappers. I heard in the next installment, there will bve little if any at all featured. good. Other than that, the little bad kids in my class actually play that game and it's annoying to see them grabbing silly putty and throwing it at kids heads and making 'splosion sounds.

Un D3J4MFFNewYork, I did stuf wit' C4rm3n.

It waas aw3som3!!!!

OMG.....it won't stop talking like that! Run!

raymanlm9.gif

Last edited:
I like GTA but I have never bought another similar game.

The thing about Grand Theft Auto is that you can see the love for the subject matter that the creators pour into the games. They went to a lot of trouble to make each of the games really reflect the genre and the period that they were based off of, and that's what made the games so good. Of course, other companies are going to rip them off by making their own gang-banging games, but there's a simple solution to that: just don't pay attention to the games that are crap. I'll keep enjoying GTA because I refuse to let myself get overloaded with all the garbage gangster games out there.

On the other hand, it does suck that other genres like westerns, cyberpunk, and steampunk, with a lot of potential are being ignored, but that's just the nature of the business.

Def Jam was another game that had enough style and depth to stand alone by itself. Plus, it let you throw Fat Joe in front of a train. You can't do much better than that.

I too am sick of the GTA games and that genre in general.

HOWEVER...

The Godfather: The Game is a terrific game that is very faithful and respectful of the film and focuses on the serious aspects like loyalty and family too. Everyone should play it.

See, I dunno.

One of the prime things I look for in a game is the story, and a lot of GTA/Thug type games actually have a decent story combined with excellent gameplay.

The GTA series (Especially Vice City), is, of course, the prime example of this.

The Def Jam games, especially Fight for New York, have an excellent story combined with fun gameplay. I look forward to Icon.

Saint's Row, while taking so much from GTA that they should be sued, is a great game with a decent story.

The Godfather: The Game is one of the best uses of a movie license ever.

After this, though, its gets pretty ridiculous. Mafia wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Scarface, the Sopranos and Reservoir Dogs were all terrible.

I'd be happy with just GTA and the Def Jam games (Although both franchises need a breath of fresh air. Def Jam: Icon seems to be doing this, GTA4 is completely under wraps, though). The Godfather was a surprise, but seeing other badly used crime movie licenses makes me cringe when I hear a classic movie franchise being ruined in order to make a game. Saint's Row was basically GTA 3.5 and completely unnecessary, despite the fact that it is enjoyable.

So, i kind of agree. I'd be perfectly happy if we saw the exit of these types of game from the spotlight. Minus, of course, GTA and Def Jam.

I'm actually not so annoyed with the players as I am with the developers/publishers. I'm probably being unfair here, but the vibe they're giving me is that they make these games in an attempt to alleviate their own insecurities that somehow making videogames is not legitimate to themselves.

It's like they're afraid that on Christmas they'll be asked what they do for a living and they tell their parents that "Yeah, we make videogames, but they're MATURE stuff. Like an HBO Show."

I mean, back in the early to mid-90s videogame developers were trying to be movie directors, and proclaiming themselves the New Hollywood when really they were just creating crapware with television/movie has-beens like Kirk Cameron in them. But at least they were like REAL ARTISTS now.

Hibiki said:
GTA was fun. Gofather was cool. Fight for NY was pretty good but too many rappers. I heard in the next installment, there will bve little if any at all featured. good. Other than that, the little bad kids in my class actually play that game and it's annoying to see them grabbing silly putty and throwing it at kids heads and making 'splosion sounds.
Yeah, I agree with you. Some of these games are actually really good and a blast to play, and make intelligent use of their material. The sad thing is that, as Zombipanda points out, other genres are essentially overlooked.

And let's face it, a market where one contextual flavor (gangsta) crowds out all the others is not an interesting market, no matter how good those games are. Nobody can eat Kobe beef everyday.

Latest posts

Back