Marvel Cartoon Discussion

That episode rocks my socks.:rockon:
Killer Croc: There I was, holed up in this quarry when Batman came nosing around. He was getting closer... closer...
Poison Ivy: And...?
Killer Croc: I threw a rock at him!
(PAUSE)
Poison Ivy: So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?
Killer Croc: It was a big rock...

Great episode.

Batman: TAS is still great. Almost Got 'Em is still one of my favorite episodes of any show ever.

Mine too.

Superman was very good and Justice League and Unlimited were both fantastic. Watch Question Authority, Flashpoint, Devided We Fall, Flash and Substance, Epilogue,or Destroyer just to name a few and you'll see how good superhero cartoons can be. If Marvel ever landed Timm to do their cartoons I might mess my pants, but as it is DC owns Marvel.

I totally agree, especially about Justice League which, in it's 4th season, was almost as good as LOST.

However, I'd like to say that although they were no where near Marvel, the X-Men and especially Spider-Man animated series were absolutely fantastic shows.

Spider-Man: TAS is what really turned me into a huge Spider-Man fan in the first place(I was 5), and all things considered, I'd definitely say it was better than Superman: TAS.

I also think that one's like for a certain show has to do with their age when they first saw the show.

I say this because anyone who's seen the Spider-Man cartoon when it was originaly aired is obviously gonna like it more than say Justice League which they caught on DVD at a later age. It's the nostalgic factor.

Because there is no way that anyone over the age of 13 can sit there and say that Spiderman and X-men is better than classic Timmverse. Better than Teen Titans, Batman Beyond or League of Superheroes? Yeah...I'll agree. But there is no way anyone over the age of 13 in their right mind can say that Marvel's toons were better than DC's Batman, Superman or JL.

I also think that one's like for a certain show has to do with their age when they first saw the show.

I say this because anyone who's seen the Spider-Man cartoon when it was originaly aired is obviously gonna like it more than say Justice League which they caught on DVD at a later age. It's the nostalgic factor.

Because there is no way that anyone over the age of 13 can sit there and say that Spiderman and X-men is better than classic Timmverse. Better than Teen Titans, Batman Beyond or League of Superheroes? Yeah...I'll agree. But there is no way anyone over the age of 13 in their right mind can say that Marvel's toons were better than DC's Batman, Superman or JL.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that although not as good as the Timmverse in general, both Spider-Man and X-Men: TAS were very good shows and Spider-Man specifically was better than S:TAS specifically.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that although not as good as the Timmverse in general, both Spider-Man and X-Men: TAS were very good shows and Spider-Man specifically was better than S:TAS specifically.

Understandable. But I'm still gonna have to disagree on the Spiderman>Superman thing.

I honestly disagree with the idea that Superman: TAS is worse than Spider-Man: TAS... The best episodes of Spidey pale in comparison to the best episodes of Superman.

That being said, Spidey was consistantly decent, while there are some godawful Superman episodes.

The thing that does it for me is that Spidey had ongoing and complex story and character arcs while S:TAS usually just followed a villain-of-the-week formula.

Also, with the exception of episodes like "The Late Mr. Kent", S:TAS barely focused on the characters and their personalities at all, it usually was very plot-driven, and the plots were sometimes not strong enough to carry a whole episode.

Spider-Man made you feel like Peter Parker was a good friend. I cared about his feelings and problems and was always interested in what drove him. It was a much more mature show.

The thing that does it for me is that Spidey had ongoing and complex story and character arcs while S:TAS usually just followed a villain-of-the-week formula.

Also, with the exception of episodes like "The Late Mr. Kent", S:TAS barely focused on the characters and their personalities at all, it usually was very plot-driven, and the plots were sometimes not strong enough to carry a whole episode.

Spider-Man made you feel like Peter Parker was a good friend. I cared about his feelings and problems and was always interested in what drove him. It was a much more mature show.

Superman had a good plot build up for Darksied, I feel if Spider-man had better animation and not the crazy amount of censorship it would of done better than Supes I dont getFox, I mean people actually did die in Superman, One guy blew up in a nuclear explosion, another died in the gas chamber, and one was dissentigrated by Darksied.

Superman had a good plot build up for Darksied, I feel if Spider-man had better animation and not the crazy amount of censorship it would of done better than Supes

I may be biased on this because I never found the Darkseid stories that interesting in the first place.

All that ever happend was he'd send in his armies, which mostly consisted of uninspired, strange-looking flying tanks, Superman would get hit with a lot of electric shocks which would really hurt him, there'd be a standoff, and Darkseid would leave.

And besides, it wasn't a real arc, it was more like a recurring theme, with Apokolips popping up ever few episodes. Spider-Man actually had a flowing story.

And IMHO, Spidey had better animation too.

I dont getFox, I mean people actually did die in Superman, One guy blew up in a nuclear explosion, another died in the gas chamber, and one was dissentigrated by Darksied.

Keep in mind that S:TAS was several years after Spidey, and that makes a difference. Look at JL and to a great extent JLU and you'll see how far violence progresses in these things.

Is anyone forgetting X-Men: Evolution?

I liked that show. Apocalypse kicked far more *** then he did in the comics.

I may be biased on this because I never found the Darkseid stories that interesting in the first place.

All that ever happend was he'd send in his armies, which mostly consisted of uninspired, strange-looking flying tanks, Superman would get hit with a lot of electric shocks which would really hurt him, there'd be a standoff, and Darkseid would leave.

And besides, it wasn't a real arc, it was more like a recurring theme, with Apokolips popping up ever few episodes. Spider-Man actually had a flowing story.

And IMHO, Spidey had better animation too.

Keep in mind that S:TAS was several years after Spidey, and that makes a difference. Look at JL and to a great extent JLU and you'll see how far violence progresses in these things.
Well they had a build up, criminals were getting technology from them and it had a build up to when Darksied set off nuclear reactions and invaded Metropolis. It was a good story arc and it was after that, that he would just show up every once in a while and leave
Is anyone forgetting X-Men: Evolution?

I liked that show. Apocalypse kicked far more *** then he did in the comics.

Eh, it could have been much better

It's interesting how contemporary the Batman and Superman TAS shows still are, in terms of dialogue and storyline compared to the 90's X-Men and Spider-Man. While the Marvel ones were good by themselves, when I recently watched the 90's Spider-Man series, I noticed how hammy and over-dramatic some of these scenes were, and they actually felt kiddy compared to the DC ones. They really felt dated.

They made good reinterpretations of popular Marvel stories, but I didn't like how censored they were. No one ever dies, laser guns are common weapons and the Kingpin felt more like a mad scientist then the crime lord we all know and despise. The reinterpretations are almost way too faithful to the comics themselves, unlike in for example Batman, were they actually reimagined characters that were actually so good that the comics themselves took points from the show. Two-Face and Mr. Freeze were excellent in BTAS.

I completely agree. BTAS would be a great show if it came out today. Spidey is and always was a lot flashier and often very silly, even though it's still great fun.

Jeez, when the heck is the 90s Spidey animated series gonna come out on DVD? I assumed it would be right around now to coincide with the movie.
:(

Nope.

Didn't you notice what they are doing?

Movie one = green goblin - cartoon disk brought out that time = 2 goblin disks

Movie 2 = doc ock - cartoon disk brought out that time = Spider-man vs doc ock

movie 3 = Sandman , new goblin and Venom cartoon disk brought out that time = Venom saga as sandman did not appear in cartoon , harry has been covered in first goblin disks.

best bet for every episode look on ebay for unofficial dvds.

Another note I thought we would of got some news on New Spider-man cartoon now film was out.

Latest posts

Back