Marvel's Earth-616 Timeline

I have a question. How does time compression work canonically if the sliding timescale truly is an in-universe phenomenon? Like for example, year 7 started in 1984. But by the end, it's 1987. So does that mean that sometime throughout this "year", the date just changed so that it was 1985, then 86, but from the perspective of the characters, the past year was always 1985 or 1986?
Look at the "Sliding Timescale Year" itself as a not a literal year but a collection of extended years.

I have a question. How does time compression work canonically if the sliding timescale truly is an in-universe phenomenon? Like for example, year 7 started in 1984. But by the end, it's 1987. So does that mean that sometime throughout this "year", the date just changed so that it was 1985, then 86, but from the perspective of the characters, the past year was always 1985 or 1986?
it change as time goes on. Now year 7 is 2014 and always is 2014. When it will change to 2015, it will be 2015 and will always be 2015.

Correct, but I'm talking about when it's actually the year in-universe. Like as of now, year 17 just started. Next year in 2025, will year 17 still be 2024?
next year year 17 will be 2025. And always will be 2025.

Correct, but I'm talking about when it's actually the year in-universe. Like as of now, year 17 just started. Next year in 2025, will year 17 still be 2024?
I get what you are asking, but it seems that nobody else got your question (I also don't have the answer, tbh).

Even though canonically only a few months have passed between the stories published this year and in 2025, since it's still year 17. So my point is that, each "year" is technically made up of multiple years due to time compression, yes? And canonically, now it's 2024, soon, it'll be 2025, but it's all year 17. Because time is always changing in 616. I'm basically building off of this post right here.
i explained in dept in the intro of this thread. But in short, the year in the timeline are years from our reality, the real world point of view. Basically that 1961 u can see in the timeline isn't actually 1961 from earth-616 point of view.

Wikia appearance lists can be misleading, as it counts reprints, and if a character appears in multiple stories in the same issue, that is still counted only as one appearance for them.

I suggest either use that site I linked, or the Marvel Chronology Project. (or official handbooks, sometimes they have appearance lists, but imo they can be outdated and still just as inacurate as wikia appearances).

Idk tbh. 2 of them are Canon to the old ultimate universe.
I have three Marvel novels.

Spider-Man Goblin Moon: It has a note saying it takes place in between Amazing Spider-Man #430/Spectacular Spider-Man #252 and Amazing Spider-Man #438/Spectacular Spider-Man #260. But I have yet to read this book. Also, it is co-written by Kurt Busiak.

Iron Man: The Gauntlet: It has a reference to a character named Anna Wei, who apparently appeared in a comic called Iron Man 2001. In this novel, it is revealed that she was assasinates by Mandarin. In the novel's present day, Iron Man uses FRIDAY as his AI assistant, but at the same time, Mandarin is alive. Researching a bit shows that in the modern era, FRIDAY showed up AFTER Mandarin's death. However, in the early 2000s era, both FRIDAY and Mandarin were around, so perhaps, the novel takes place in the 2000s era?

Venom: Lethal Protector: This novel is an adaptation of the comic of the same name. I have only read the first chapter of the novel, which adapts the first few pages of the comic. The only difference between the novel and the comic seems to be that the novel has been updated to the modern setting, but that difference can be chalked up to Marvel's sliding timescale. Also, the novel reveals more information about the background characters. This might be considered canon, but like I said, I only read the first chapter.

the civil war novel is the only one ive ever looked at and it seems to me just to be 616 civil war post mephisto spidey shenanigans

What's the canon status of Marvel novels?

Here is a list of the novels that have been confirmed as canon (mostly through the official handbooks and indices):
Amazing Spider-Man: Mayhem in Manhattan (Amazing Spider-Man #186)
Avengers: The Man Who Stole Tomorrow (Kang handbook entry)
Avengers and the Thunderbolts (Avengers Index, Captain America Index)
Avengers Battle the Earth Wrecker (Earth's Solar System appendix, Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe appendix)
Daredevil: The Cutting Edge (Sister Maggie handbook entry)
Fantastic Four: Countdown to Chaos (Red Ghost handbook entry)
Fantastic Four: Redemption of the Silver Surfer (Tyannanus handbook entry)
Fantastic Four: War Zone (Negative Zone handbook entry)
Fantastic Four: What Lies Between (Psycho-Man handbook entry)
Generation X: Crossroads (Razorback, Trans-Sabal handbook entries)
Hulk and Spider-Man: Murdermoon (Hulk online handbook bibliography)
Incredible Hulk: Cry of the Beast (Hulk online handbook bibliography)
Incredible Hulk: Stalker from the Stars (Gamma Mutates online handbook bibliography, Hulk online handbook bibliography)
Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets (Blackie Gaxton handbook entry, Amazing Spider-Man Index)
Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder (Amazing Spider-Man Index)
Spider-Man: Gathering of the Sinister Six (Razorback, Sinister Six, Stilt-Man, White Rabbit handbook entries)
Spider-Man: Revenge of the Sinister Six (Rocket Racer, Sinister Six handbook entries)
Spider-Man: Secret of the Sinister Six (Big Wheel, Mr. Bumpo, Finisher, Hypno-Hustler, Sinister Six handbook entries, Amazing Spider-Man Index)
Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours (Morlun handbook entry, Amazing Spider-Man Index)
X-Men: The Chaos Engine (Corps, Cosmic Cube, Merlyn, Saturnyne, Sat-Yr9 handbook entries, Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe appendix, Uncanny X-Men Index)
X-Men: Shadows of the Past (Quist handbook entry)
X-Men: Soul Killer (Belasco, N'Garai handbook entries, Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe appendix)
X-Men & Spider-Man: Time's Arrow (Black Knight (Sir Percy), Growing Man, Immortus, Iron Man (2020 AD), Kang, Merlyn, Morgan Le Fay, Terminatrix handbook entries)

also the following short stories from anthology collections:
Five Decades of the X-Men: "Up the Hill Backwards" (Pete Wisdom handbook entry)
Ultimate Hulk: "A Quiet, Normal Life" (Nebulon handbook entry)
Ultimate Silver Surfer: "Broken Land" (Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe appendix)
Ultimate Silver Surfer: "What's Yer Poison?" (Mephisto handbook entry)
Ultimate Super-Villains: "Child's Play" (Mephisto handbook entry)
Ultimate Super-Villains: "Private Exhibition" (Painter of 1000 Perils handbook entry)
Ultimate Super-Villains: "To the Victor" (Kang handbook entry)
Untold Tales of Spider-Man: "Poison in the Soul" (Shocker handbook entry)
X-Men Legends: "Diary of a False Man" (Uncanny X-Men Index)

The novels published in the 1990s by Berkley shared an internal continuity via appearances by characters created especially for that series. Therefore one could argue that ALL of them are canon, even though only some of them are listed above.

For a complete listing of Marvel novels (at least through 2009) see here: http://www.marvunapp.com/ohotmu/appendixes/novapp.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back