Millar talks Ultimate Fantastic Four sales

what was the biggest selling single issue of a comic ever?
my beer damaged memory seems to recall McFarlane's spiderman doing 2 million copies or something, but this may be the onset of senility.
anyone know?

olavthehairy said:
what was the biggest selling single issue of a comic ever?
my beer damaged memory seems to recall McFarlane's spiderman doing 2 million copies or something, but this may be the onset of senility.
anyone know?

I think Spawn #1 did significantly more, but I don't recall the number.

I think it was Jim Lee's first X-Men issue.

McFarlane Spiderman #1 = 2.5 million
McFarlane Spawn #1 = 1.7 million
X-Force - Liefield = "biggest of all time"
X-Men - Lee = "biggest of all time"

not a lot of help Google :roll:

Ice said:
From his Millarworld site:

"Also, our final FF arc-- Frihgtful (sic)-- is doing 120K-plus an issue and the first part is already sold out. Weird to see UFF as the best selling Ultimates book (by a 20K margin even over Ultimates) so very good news indeed. Some people seemed shocked to see Ultimates at number 20 in the charts, btw, but fear not-- It's still selling the same 105K it usually sells. All that happened is that DC and Marvel really upped their game in the last year or so and now a number that always put you in the top 3 just scrapes the top 20. Huge promotion on the new books as our run on Ultimates winds down. We haven't lost any readers and still sell bucket-loads, it's just that everything ELSE is now selling like crazy at the same time. I remember when we first started Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men only two or three books topped 100K. Now 400K is the new ceiling and 20 titles in the charts are clearing 100K. It's very heartening to see how much the industry has recovered in five years. And, of course, my Civil War book is still numero uno by a huge margin so I can afford to be quite Christ-like and relaxed about it all.

MM
"
All of this is wonderful news from every point of view.

I did not realise Ultimate Fantastic Four was doing well. Not at all. Now I realise instead of being concerned in case my favorite comic is cancelled, I can look forward to buying every trade that comes out for years to come. Joy oh joy!

Even better, people are going to look on the current approach, which seems to be equally fun for creators and fans, as a good one, a successful model that they could refer to if the book ever gets too stodgy and starts to drift downhill. That's good for Marvel, because they know how to get sales, and good for me because I get the quality I want.

The first five ESSENTIAL FANTASTIC FOUR books are out, and I just need to get to a comic shop with a few spare dollars in my pocket (after Ultimate Fantastic Four and now Ultimates) and I'll have the legendary Lee-Kirby run almost to the issue.

Has there been a better time for a Fantastic Four fan between then and now? I don't think so.

And comics in general are doing well, and a top creator is happy too. Why not, I'm happy with him. It's all just too good!

These are the good old days! Bravo for all the brilliant creators who've done this!

Bravo!
Bravo!
Bravo!

Latest posts

Back