Millar: Ultimates 2 #11 off to the printer

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Rhyo said:
Wow, is that ever total BS (and badly written - the run-on sentence in the first paragraph make no sense).

First, it assumes that Marvel is doing this (shipping late and shipping at targeted times) on purpose - which I don't believe for a second. I think Marvel's control over WHEN titles ship is tenuous at best, and I don't think there is a giant conspiracy to boost quarterly numbers and profits by timing the shipping of comics because I frankly don't think that they MAKE that much on individual comics, as opposed to movie, toy and IP rights.

I think too many people have seen the Davinci Code and taken the conspiracy therories to heart....

Like I said, I wasn't sure if it held any water or not, just wanted to get others' opinions.
 

Shihad

Well-Known Member
E said:
What he seems to be saying is that he's handing the script to Hitch, Hitch draws it, then Millar tweaks dialogue to fit Hitch's art.


Yeah but it can't take a month to change dialouge..... ???
 

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
I won't believe it until I've got it in my hands. I've been hurt too many times to trust again.

Side question, why is it we only get an explaination for the delays weeks after they're announced?
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
MaxwellSmart said:
I won't believe it until I've got it in my hands. I've been hurt too many times to trust again.

Side question, why is it we only get an explaination for the delays weeks after they're announced?
They're so lazy, it takes them that long to think of something buyable.

Or they wait so the explanation can seem buyable.

:p
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Rhyo said:
Wow, is that ever total BS (and badly written - the run-on sentence in the first paragraph make no sense).

First, it assumes that Marvel is doing this (shipping late and shipping at targeted times) on purpose - which I don't believe for a second. I think Marvel's control over WHEN titles ship is tenuous at best, and I don't think there is a giant conspiracy to boost quarterly numbers and profits by timing the shipping of comics because I frankly don't think that they MAKE that much on individual comics, as opposed to movie, toy and IP rights.

I think too many people have seen the Davinci Code and taken the conspiracy therories to heart....

I agree. On top of that, they know that delays mean frustrated fans, and delays give readers a chance to forget about the book.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Ice said:
No, the 14th, as it was said a couple days go, and it's on the main page here.

14th is 2 weeks away, which is what Marvel does. They go to print 2 weeks on a comic before they ship.

Ahhh, ok. I didn't think the 7th sounded right. That'll be a big week for Ultimate releases, with Ultimates 2 #11, Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #3, and Ultimate X-Men #71 (as well as Squadron Supreme #4, which is an Ultimate title in a way).
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
DIrishB said:
Ahhh, ok. I didn't think the 7th sounded right. That'll be a big week for Ultimate releases, with Ultimates 2 #11, Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #3, and Ultimate X-Men #71 (as well as Squadron Supreme #4, which is an Ultimate title in a way).

You jinxed it. :(
 

ultimatedjf

Well-Known Member
moonmaster said:
Damn Millar and his illnesses! He should really be ashamed of himself for getting sick. How irresponsible!



:lol:


I thought this was funny. See when Moony and I do the happy dance (along with Ice), it's my way of saying, "I have enough comics to get, so these delays don't bother me". Especially if its written by Millar, who I hope takes all the time that he needs to write, what with having that sickness and all. If he tried to go at a faster pace, we all know, especially Moony, that the final issues would be weaker than the usual 5/5ness, plain and simple, because the griping fanboys caused MM to work too fast/hard when he should be getting some good rest every day for a few hours or so.

It's like what I think happened with the sixth Harry Potter book; J.K. worked at not her normal speed, and produced, in my opinion, a weaker effort. The fact that there are now her sources saying next year the seventh will come out worries me. Because I'm pretty sure that the seventh could end up being the longest one (yes, longer than the 5th one) and I really want her to pace herself and take her time on it.


Whatever.
 

ShadowPrime

Well-Known Member
I am probably going to get absolutely murdered for this...and I grant that I have commented on this, to some extent, elsewhere on the Board, but...

I do think that in the current environment, fans/customers are largely taken for granted.

There may have been some ...or MANY... moral shortcomings in the bad old days, when Marvel and DC held all the cards (say, pre-Image), when there was a belief that the characters transcended the artists (and by that I mean the whole creative team), but by and large, when a title was advertised as monthly, it was, well MONTHLY. Were there exceptions? Sure. But by and large, there was a real effort to show some discipline, and get the product out on time.

And as a customer...you know, I DO care about that.

No, I wouldn't rather see a LOUSY Ultimates 2 #11 "on time" than see a great issue late. But on the flip side, part of the pleasure of reading a monthly title is, IMHO, the pacing of it. Geting a story in monthly installments. Memory of the last issue relatively fresh in your head, the teasers at the end of the issue setting you up and whetting your appetite for the next issue, etc. As I recall, the last panel of the last issue had Cap, full page, telling those @#[email protected]#@s to "Get your hands off my girlfriend" (Er - Cap's GF. Lousy syntax there. Apologies!). That panel was designed, in very old school fashion, to make you get pumped up at the prospect of seeing the Ultimates turn the tide, stop taking the lumps they have for several issues now, and begin bringing the pain to the "bad guys". Okay, mission accomplished.

But then? Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. And some more. Still waiting? Good! Well, KEEP waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Look, if I am supposed to stop buying monthly comics and only buy the trade paperbacks, just say so. I know many people do just that. Frankly, I never will, because while I may take the "chance" on a single issue of a title to see if I like it, I am not going to be doing much experimenting at the trade paperback price. I am only going to buy proven commodities, and then, I am likely to be "spoiled" quite often, given the long leadtimes between the monthly publishing and the publication of the compiled series. I enjoy and prefer the monthly pacing. But when the term "monthly" becomes an absolute joke......

Okay, things do happen. People get sick, they have issues in their personal lives, etc. Not trying to be coldhearted here. But I can't shake the sneaking suspicion that behind this IS a sort of... lack of discipline, a "taking for granted" of the fanbase, the CUSTOMER, a smug sense of holding all the cards.... "Oh, poor baby, don't like to wait months and months and months? Too bad! We have lives to lead, you know!". I mean... (WARNING - Old Fogey rant coming) if Kirby and Perez and Romita and Romita JR and Buscema and ..well..lots of other folks could manage it for YEARS, sometimes on multiple titles... is a LITTLE discipline and professionalism too much to ask?

Rant done. And please - if your response is "If you don't like it, then stop buying it", can we just take it as given that I do know no one is FORCING me to endure being strung along?

Shadow
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
ShadowPrime said:
I am probably going to get absolutely murdered for this...and I grant that I have commented on this, to some extent, elsewhere on the Board, but...

I do think that in the current environment, fans/customers are largely taken for granted.

There may have been some ...or MANY... moral shortcomings in the bad old days, when Marvel and DC held all the cards (say, pre-Image), when there was a belief that the characters transcended the artists (and by that I mean the whole creative team), but by and large, when a title was advertised as monthly, it was, well MONTHLY. Were there exceptions? Sure. But by and large, there was a real effort to show some discipline, and get the product out on time.

And as a customer...you know, I DO care about that.

No, I wouldn't rather see a LOUSY Ultimates 2 #11 "on time" than see a great issue late. But on the flip side, part of the pleasure of reading a monthly title is, IMHO, the pacing of it. Geting a story in monthly installments. Memory of the last issue relatively fresh in your head, the teasers at the end of the issue setting you up and whetting your appetite for the next issue, etc. As I recall, the last panel of the last issue had Cap, full page, telling those @#[email protected]#@s to "Get your hands off my girlfriend" (Er - Cap's GF. Lousy syntax there. Apologies!). That panel was designed, in very old school fashion, to make you get pumped up at the prospect of seeing the Ultimates turn the tide, stop taking the lumps they have for several issues now, and begin bringing the pain to the "bad guys". Okay, mission accomplished.

But then? Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. And some more. Still waiting? Good! Well, KEEP waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Look, if I am supposed to stop buying monthly comics and only buy the trade paperbacks, just say so. I know many people do just that. Frankly, I never will, because while I may take the "chance" on a single issue of a title to see if I like it, I am not going to be doing much experimenting at the trade paperback price. I am only going to buy proven commodities, and then, I am likely to be "spoiled" quite often, given the long leadtimes between the monthly publishing and the publication of the compiled series. I enjoy and prefer the monthly pacing. But when the term "monthly" becomes an absolute joke......

Okay, things do happen. People get sick, they have issues in their personal lives, etc. Not trying to be coldhearted here. But I can't shake the sneaking suspicion that behind this IS a sort of... lack of discipline, a "taking for granted" of the fanbase, the CUSTOMER, a smug sense of holding all the cards.... "Oh, poor baby, don't like to wait months and months and months? Too bad! We have lives to lead, you know!". I mean... (WARNING - Old Fogey rant coming) if Kirby and Perez and Romita and Romita JR and Buscema and ..well..lots of other folks could manage it for YEARS, sometimes on multiple titles... is a LITTLE discipline and professionalism too much to ask?

Rant done. And please - if your response is "If you don't like it, then stop buying it", can we just take it as given that I do know no one is FORCING me to endure being strung along?

Shadow

Excellent post, ShadowPrime. You pretty much summed up a lot of our feelings concerning the constant delays on Ultimates, mine especially. Kudos, sir.
 

Latest posts

Top