MonsterVerse Timeline

Because you put "(2014)" as if differentiating it to another thing called the same way

I know it's not technically in continuity with the Legendary Monsterverse, but I personally consider "Godzilla" (1998) to be part of it since it doesn't actually feature Godzilla (who we meet in 2014's version). I like to look at it as a sort of prequel and makes the real Godzilla's debut more epic. I also am nostalgic for the film. Either way, here are my timeline notes for what I like to call "Zilla".

1715870888165.png

I know it's not technically in continuity with the Legendary Monsterverse, but I personally consider "Godzilla" (1998) to be part of it since it doesn't actually feature Godzilla (who we meet in 2014's version). I like to look at it as a sort of prequel and makes the real Godzilla's debut more epic. I also am nostalgic for the film. Either way, here are my timeline notes for what I like to call "Zilla".

View attachment 2125
We're spoken about this before, I believe. Godzilla (1998) is actually in-continuity with the 1954 film and its sequel, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack according to Toho themselves. In fact, they list it as a canonical non-Godzilla film just to rub it in that it's a "fake".
1000006952.png

A variant of Zilla who didn't die in 1997 appears in the Final Wars timeline. Godzilla instantly curbstomps them.

Last edited:
I suppose that timeline probably looks something like this then.

August
Godzilla (1954)

November
Godzilla (1998)
Godzilla: The Series 1x01, "New Family: Part 1"
Godzilla: The Series 1x02, "New Family: Part 2"

????
Godzilla: The Series 1x04, "Talkin' Trash"
Godzilla: The Series 1x03, "D.O.A."
Godzilla: The Series 1x05, "The Winter of Our Discontent"
Godzilla: The Series 1x06, "Cat and Mouse"
Godzilla: The Series 1x08, "Leviathan"
Godzilla: The Series 1x07, "What Dreams May Come"
Godzilla: The Series 1x09, "Hive"
Godzilla: The Series 1x10, "Bird of Paradise"
Godzilla: The Series 1x16, "Freeze"

????
Godzilla: The Series
1x11, "DeadLoch"
Godzilla: The Series 1x15, "Competition"
Godzilla: The Series 1x17, "Bug Out"
Godzilla: The Series 1x12, "Monster War: Part 1"
Godzilla: The Series 1x13, "Monster War: Part 2"
Godzilla: The Series 1x14, "Monster War: Part 3"
Godzilla: The Series 1x19, "An Early Frost"
Godzilla: The Series 2x07, "What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been"
Godzilla: The Series 1x18, "Web Site"
Godzilla: The Series 2x08, "Wedding Bells Blew"
Godzilla: The Series 1x20, "Juggernaut"
Godzilla: The Series 2x12, "Shafted"
Godzilla: The Series 1x21, "Trust No One"

????
Godzilla: The Series
2x14, "Lizard Season"
Godzilla: The Series 2x18, "The Ballad of Gens du Marais"
Godzilla: The Series 2x17, "Ring of Fire"
Godzilla: The Series 2x04, "Protector"
Godzilla: The Series 2x15, "Vision"
Godzilla: The Series 2x05, "Freak Show"
Godzilla: The Series 2x09, "Metamorphosis"
Godzilla: The Series 2x13, "Where is Thy Sting"
Godzilla: The Series 2x16, "Underground Movement"
Godzilla: The Series 2x11, "The Twister"
Godzilla: The Series 2x03, "S.C.A.L.E."
Godzilla: The Series 2x01, "Future Shock"
Godzilla: The Series 2x06, "End of the Line"
Godzilla: The Series 2x10, "Area 51"
Godzilla: The Series 2x19, "Tourist Trap"
Godzilla: The Series 2x02, "Cash of the Titans"

????
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Last edited:
All we need are detailed time stamps now!
Timestamps should be pretty good here. Some month information is trivial but all years are accurate. I just finished this up this week and its pretty fresh on my mind if there are questions. Link to spreadsheet is attached timestamps are on the 'In-Depth Page'. (This only pertains to movies & tv shows).

Attachments

• Monsterverse.png
    Monsterverse.png
    613.8 KB · Views: 8
Since JLvGvK takes place after GvK (due to Lex's new Mechagodzilla), it might work placing it in 2026, reflecting the release dates between films. I'd be interested in covering that for you since there's a lot of universe hopping.

Since JLvGvK takes place after GvK (due to Lex's new Mechagodzilla), it might work placing it in 2026, reflecting the release dates between films. I'd be interested in covering that for you since there's a lot of universe hopping.
u can.

I'd probably do the Godzilla/Kong crossovers in black (000000) or gray (808080).

????
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 4-21) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 22-27)
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 1-3, 28-30) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #2 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #3 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #4 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #5 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #6 (pg. 1-28) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #7 (pg. 1-15) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #6 (pg. 29-30) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #7 (pg. 16-30) [DC Universe]

Last edited:
Okay, so Godzilla: Awakening can be canon if you assume the flashbacks are terrible memory (maybe put [retconned] or [memory] on those) and "Lee Shaw" (Monarch: Legacy of Monsters) and "Shaw" (Godzilla: Awakening) are different characters. There's actually nothing linking them beyond a tweet saying they're the same. They have to be because Lee Shaw was trapped in the Hollow Earth during 1981.

The comic was stated to be canon serveral times though. Here's Wikizilla's reasonings for it.
Godzilla: Awakening was conceived during the production of Godzilla (2014) and published shortly before the film opened in theaters,[1] though the two works ultimately contradicted each other in several ways. In the film, Drs. Ishiro Serizawa and Vivienne Graham state that Monarch was founded in 1954, the same year the USS Nautilus awakened Godzilla. In the graphic novel, the nuclear destruction of Hiroshima in 1945 attracts Shinomura, with Godzilla swiftly following it; Monarch is founded in 1946; and the first reported sighting of Godzilla takes place in 1948. Moreover, the film does not show or mention Shinomura at all, even though the comic shows the Castle Bravo H-bomb deployed against both Godzilla and Shinomura in 1954. Serizawa and Graham also suggest that multiple nuclear tests in the Pacific were in reality attempts to kill Godzilla, though only one takes place in the comic.

The second film in the Monsterverse, Kong: Skull Island (2017), settles one continuity issue, with Monarch agent Bill Randa stating that his organization was founded by President Harry S. Truman in 1946. Randa later refers to the "1954 Castle Bravo nuclear tests" as attempts to kill Godzilla, although in reality Castle Bravo was just one test from the Operation Castle series. In 2018, responding to an inquiry about Godzilla: Awakening's canonicity on Twitter, Godzilla (2014) and Awakening writer Max Borenstein offered the explanation that details from the comic that are not shown or mentioned onscreen could simply have been kept secret by Monarch.[2]

Despite the aforementioned continuity discrepancies, Legendary included Awakening in the Monsterverse timeline during a panel at WonderCon 2019.[3] Later that year, Ishiro Serizawa's Monarch personnel file was released on MonarchSciences.com to promote Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), and reinforced three sentiments from Awakening: Serizawa joining Monarch in 1981, his father Eiji being a founding member, and Godzilla being awakened by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945.[4] In addition, though Godzilla: King of the Monsters - The Official Movie Novelization is largely not canon to the film on which it is based, it includes a brief recap of the events of Awakening.

Legendary appeared to consider Awakening canon as recently as 2020, when the comic's events were referenced repeatedly in tweets for the Monsterverse Watchalong events. Details highlighted included the first Monarch meeting in 1946 and Douglas MacArthur's involvement with the organization,[5] Ishiro Serizawa's "background" and Monarch recruitment,[6] and the full significance of Eiji Serizawa's pocket watch.[7] However, Godzilla was again stated to have been "awakened" in 1954 by the USS Nautilus, peculiarly attributed to Awakening rather than Godzilla (2014).[8] This contradicts both Awakening, which actually depicts Godzilla having been active since 1945 and the Nautilus launching in 1950, and Serizawa's 2019 personnel file, which was even subsequently reposted in unaltered form.[9] The Watchalong also provided a second, more brief personnel profile for Ishiro Serizawa which reiterated his father being a Monarch founding member named Eiji.[10]

In 2023, the canon TTRPG Kong: Skull Island Cinematic Adventure made only indirect references to Shinomura, stating, "Monarch's original mission was to research a monstrous creature witnessed in the aftermath of the Hiroshima atomic bombing" and "[Monarch] were tasked with researching the origins of a giant creature reportedly attacking naval vessels after World War II."[11] Later the same year, the television series Monarch: Legacy of Monsters brought back Shaw as a major character.[12] However, its second episode showed that he did not learn about the Titans and join Monarch until 1952, rather than being a founding member in 1946. Its third episode depicted Monarch first learning of Godzilla's existence in 1954, followed by the U.S. military attempting to kill him with a nuclear weapon, with Shinomura neither mentioned nor shown. However, Godzilla is portrayed standing fully upright during the Castle Bravo detonation, aligning with Awakening rather than Godzilla (2014), in which he is mostly submerged.

I'd probably do the Godzilla/Kong crossovers in black (000000) or gray (808080).

????
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 4-21) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 22-27)
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #1 (pg. 1-3, 28-30) [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #2 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #3 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #4 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #5 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #6 [DC Universe]
Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #7**
Just in case anyone still thought this was non-canon for whatever reason, the monsters get transported back to their universe in the final issue. I'll update this with that by the way.

Fan Theory (total BS btw):
In 2025, during the events of Pacific Rim, the Gipsy Danger Jaeger's arm was severed by Knifehead, landing in the ocean. When the Kaiju rift closed, it sent a shockwave of dimensional energy that attached to the arm, causing it to be transported to an alternate universe.

It was recovered by Monarch after landing in their home reality (MonsterVerse). In 2027, it was reverse engineered into King Kong's B.E.A.S.T. glove.

Reasoning:
The exact Gipsy Danger arm (with identical appearance and abilities) was shown as the schematic behind Kong's B.E.A.S.T. glove on a monitor in Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.

Fan Theory (total BS btw):
In 2025, during the events of Pacific Rim, the Gipsy Danger Jaeger's arm was severed by Knifehead, landing in the ocean. When the Kaiju rift closed, it sent a shockwave of dimensional energy that attached to the arm, causing it to be transported to an alternate universe.

It was recovered by Monarch after landing in their home reality (MonsterVerse). In 2027, it was reverse engineered into King Kong's B.E.A.S.T. glove.

Reasoning:
The exact Gipsy Danger arm (with identical appearance and abilities) was shown as the schematic behind Kong's B.E.A.S.T. glove on a monitor in Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.
I like it!

Latest posts

Back