My theory (Ultimates 2 #7 spoilers)

Am I the only one who remembers that Hawkeye is SHIELD's oldest member? From back in Volume 1? It was just Fury, Hawkeye, and a bar tab trying to bring down the Soviet Union? That's why he was the first one to go: it shows that not even SHIELD's oldest members are safe.

Rhyo said:
Well, as I see it, there are two choices -

3. The wife and kids are more than they appear and must be removed as a security threat. Hawkeye as well (guilt by association).

UltimateE said:
3. The wife and kids are more than they appear and must be removed as a security threat. Hawkeye as well (guilt by association).

If they decided to go that route, I'd have to have it be they were less than they seemed to be, maybe illusions created by Loki to manipulate Hawkeye. Still, I just don't like that idea, it almost feels like a copout to me.

I agree. We've shared in Hawkeye's pain now, we've thought "oh ****!" when they got shot, we know how much they mean to him, and through association, to us. To have a revelation that it was all a fake will cheapen their deaths (or non-deaths). And let's not forget that Millar played a similar line in the death of Banner, he let us know that he survived because it would cheapen his survival had we found out later.

thee great one said:
Thanks to who ever changed the title.

A little late, and the damage may have been done (and you might be being sarcastic), but it was a good point. It shouldn't have been named how it was.

Entropy said:
If they decided to go that route, I'd have to have it be they were less than they seemed to be, maybe illusions created by Loki to manipulate Hawkeye. Still, I just don't like that idea, it almost feels like a copout to me.

Yeah, that would work too.

cool theory, hansel.

i like it, that's what i think is going to happen. with millar, no scene or line is ever wasted, besides maybe "you stupid cow!" i think the first scene is indeed foreshadowing, and the fact that it is scarlet witches' purse is just more evidence: she would make quicksilver get it.

it's either that, or hawkeye's family was simply made by the scarlet witch, which she used to manipulate him to leak all the info because she is the traitor and loki's apprentice! :twisted:

but yeah, i think the avenger's idea is cool, except for the fact i think it'd be funny if all the avengers did was go around and stop family-cides from happening, or say stuff like this:

Ultron: BWAHAHAHAHAHA! THE WORLD IS MINE!

Cap: No! We will stop you, and thus avenge Hawkeye's family!

*fightscene*

Cap: We've won... the day is saved.

Hawkeye: Now... maybe then can finally rest in peace.

Spade said:
ultron is the traitor

There's no way. Pym was talking to the traitor as if he had known him/her for a while... Ultron, being in his robot infancy, would have no way to integrate that quickly into the Ultimates drama, and behind the scenes no less.

Goodwill said:
There's no way. Pym was talking to the traitor as if he had known him/her for a while... Ultron, being in his robot infancy, would have no way to integrate that quickly into the Ultimates drama, and behind the scenes no less.
I *think* that just may another joke. Least, I hope he was....

A little more to fuel the fire, from MM today on MillarWorld, in response to someone asking about the discrepancies in Hawkeye's background (Olympic archer? Black Ops? Wife? Girlfriend?)

"He was living with Laura and they had kids without getting married. She was his girlfriend. As for the Olympic stuff, Hawkeye back-story still isn't completely divulged, but the idea is that he was an olympic archer with near-mutant accuracy and he was picked up by SHIELD when he was in his late teens."

"Still isn't completely divulged" -- hmmmm.

See, since there's a lot to fill in, there's no way Millar would kill off Hawkeye at this point. Well, he could very simply have Fury mention his past at the funeral or something, but that's probably not going to happen since there's a lot to accomplish in GTA.

Wait, is the gun shot to hawkeye like a real close-up of the gun?

Maybe somebody shoots the traitor before they shoot Hawkeye.

I still need to go and buy the issue :lol:

TheCell said:

That's entirely possible that it's that kind of misdirection. It is indeed a very close close-up.

TheCell said:

Its very strange the way the scene is drawn, just to give you the rundown (its the very last page of the issue btw). After Callum is shot, the top panel shows a gloved hand holding a gun and over in the corner, we see Hawkeye holding Callum. We see the scene so that Hawkeye is facing us and we are seeing the right side of the gun. The next panel just shows Hawkeye looking pissed saying he swears he's going to kill the traitor. The next shot is a closeup on the front LEFT side of the gun barrel.

The next panel after that is a closeup of Hawkeyes face and the gun, once again showing the right side of the gun. Whats interesting is that while the gun is shown hovering by Hawkeyes face, with the barrel at the corner of his glasses, it doesn't necessarily look like its POINTED at his head. The traitor also speaks in this panel, its the stupid soldier quote. The final panel is a closeup of a black gloved hand pulling the trigger of the gun, with several shell casings falling. This panel shows the gun drawn from the left side though. After that, theres just black and the to be continued message.

Now, the scene could have been drawn the way it is for dramatic tension, but it seems strange to me. Almost like there is another gun/gunmen there shooting at the other. It also seems like the traitor wasn't really aiming at Hawkeye either. I know how well Hitch can draw, if we wanted it to look like that gun was pointed at Hawkeyes head, it would damn well look like that. So I wonder maybe if the gunmen was shooting at something else. Just have to wait until sept for #8 to know for sure I guess.

Latest posts

Back