"New Mutants" arc

Goodwill

UltimateE said:
I couldn't agree with you more. it's not a bad story so far, just excrusiatingly slow.

Yep, that's what happened with Bendis' New Mutants arc... It killed me waiting because the way he writes his stories don't fit with a monthly schedule.

I thought New Mutants fitted in with the monthly scheduling well, just the first four issues were only worth two or three. Same with Nightmare, the first three issues should have been cut back a little. The suspense is what's making the book interesting but its going too far and now its dragging

No, no, I think that the New Mutants arc was stretched too thin and over too long a time for Bendis' writing style. For something to jump from the Angel story to the Wolverine/ Death Kid story and then have to wait a month for some explanation is a little silly.

The Wolverine story never fitted in with the arc. It would have been much better if it had been placed just before the arc. Either way though, it was still one of the most powerful and controversial issues- and the best

It could be argued that it's the best, but I don't see what's so powerful about it. It's contreversial, I get that part, but powerful? How does that story personally affect you, Cad?

For something like that GW, you have to think about it. The 'powerful' part is something that you have to see beyond a "literal point".

I know, which is why I asked you all, on a personal level what does that story mean to you? You do not have to make such large scale sacrifices on a day to day basis like SHIELD or the X-Men may have to do for the better of the world. I don't see how it can come off as powerful to anyone.

I think it was a sad story. It was kinda like a really story of what would happen should a kid lose control of his powers. But why didnt the X-men do something to save him. Like a lead suit or something? Did he really have to die.

Emotionally it's powerful. The kid didn't make a sacrifice. He had no choice. He certainly wasn't going to get past Wolverine. Sitting there, just a kid who killed an entire town accidently...knowing that there's no way the rest of the world could continue to let you live...having a conversation with the guy who is going to kill you...thinking about all the stuff you never got to do...yeah, it's powerful.

Well, I can see your point now, I guess... I just really think that there could have been more to it. The issue, for me, last a total of five minutes because of all the padding Bendis did to it.

I don't think padding had anything to do with it. It read very quickly, but because there was very little dialogue compared with a "normal" Bendis book.

I don't think there had to be all of that art in that issue... We got the point that he was killing off his entire town by the second page, yet, we still got stuff after the half-point of the issue.

I think the details added to it- what about the bit where his girlfriend or whatever realises whats happening. The art fleshes out the story and it sort of balances the lack of dialog. Plus, the lack of dialog didn't detract from the story. it would have been strange to read something like that and know that the whole thing was full of random chatting. The lack of dialog meant you paid more attention to the bits that were there

And to address the earlier point that it didn't fit with the arc - I disagree completely. I thought it at the time that it came out, but the following issue brought it in together very nicely.

Caduceus said:
I think the details added to it- what about the bit where his girlfriend or whatever realises whats happening. The art fleshes out the story and it sort of balances the lack of dialog. Plus, the lack of dialog didn't detract from the story. it would have been strange to read something like that and know that the whole thing was full of random chatting. The lack of dialog meant you paid more attention to the bits that were there

That may be, but, at the time, it doesn't seem all that great a time to be writing something like this, especially if you have 8-9 more members of team that need to be fleshed out.

how specifically do you mean it tied together. the only real reference was the footage of Wolverine seen in the situation room

Goodwill said:
That may be, but, at the time, it doesn't seem all that great a time to be writing something like this, especially if you have 8-9 more members of team that need to be fleshed out.

It's not like there's a finite amount of time or number of issues to tell a certain story...

I thought that was what the arcs were doing... Giving the story a certain amount of time to begin and end so that comics would translate better into trades.

Yes and no - but not all problems introduced in an "arc' have to be solved in the same arc.

Latest posts

Back