Newsarama reveals Ultimate Defenders

I think Luke Cage brings name recognition to the team, and he'll help the Defenders be something more then a team of second-rate losers. Hell, Hank's on the team, that should help some. Especially when three of the members (Hellcat, Black Knight, and Nighthawk) have no superpowers whatsoever.

PS- Supreme Power's Nighthawk is such a better "ultimization" then the Defender's version. He looks so goofy in the Defenders.

I wonder what Marvel's take on this is, since for all purposes it is a leak and it doesn't look like they had anything to do with it. Publicity is always good (and this is being talked about a LOT in a lot of places), but Marvel seems to like to keep the lid on things until Previews rolls around.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Thing with that is Dazzler is a team player she's an X-Men just like if they had another other lesser known X-character brought in people would be holding their breath until the final product... Luke Cage has way more going for him when it comes to his individual self... ya get what I'm saying?

I though Dazz WAS a lesser character in the X-Men lore.

Any, it may also be that Luke Cage will be on of the more written characters in from the Defenders... There are just so many characters showing up that it will be hard for Millar to keep up with them all, so you simply have ones just be there to have a team and focus on the more important characters. Bendis sort of did this with the New Mutants.

Found something intresting, although I'm not sure yet. . .I've heard that Luke Cage will be the Black Knight, kind of like his superhero name. Not sure I like the idea (As a seperate Black Knight would be funnier, not to mention Luke Cage should STAY Luke Cage), but I guess we'll see in June.

Lynx said:
Found something intresting, although I'm not sure yet. . .I've heard that Luke Cage will be the Black Knight, kind of like his superhero name. Not sure I like the idea (As a seperate Black Knight would be funnier, not to mention Luke Cage should STAY Luke Cage), but I guess we'll see in June.

What?! What?! What!? :furious:

I knew Millar had split personalities...

Caduceus said:
Yeah but how can you tell which one is the Evil Millar??

Um, the one who doesn't do stuff we want?

TheManWithoutFear said:
What?! What?! What!? :furious:
\\

Millar's done crazy stuff like that before in the Marvel Universe. Proteus for example. There was no David Xavier in 616. There was a David Haller, who was Legion, and another character, mixed in to make Ultimate Proteus. It's crazy.

There should be a comic about Millar's head...

Goodwill said:
Well, I think his head is right for the Ultimate line, especially the Ultimates, so I'm trusting him here.

Millar is the only writer where if I hear what sounds like a stupid story and hear Millar's name attached to it, it makes me say, "Oh, okay - I'll see what he does with it."

interesting...

Well, this looks good.

The Defenders issue is apparently a one shot, so its probably a "this is what Giant Man did next" episode. The fact that the Ultimate Defenders were introduced here implies that they will show up for some reason in the last arc. If I were a betting man, I would think we will be presented with a thematic plot involving what does it mean to be a super hero in the Ultimate Universe.

Damon Hellstorm was a character marvellously brought to irredeemable life by Warren Ellis in the final 10 issues of the early 90s Hellstorm comic. It was a wonderfully over the top, evil, depraved, beautifully written, gorgeously illustrated (by Leonardo Manco) series involving angels, demons, wars in heaven, satanists, British TV, Gargoyle... wonderful stuff. There was a quasi sequel called Druid.

As I said elsewhere, it would be fun to see Ellis loosed on an Ultimate Mystic Characters ongoing series...

Gavin

Oh this looks very cool. And personally I'd be happy at the limited amount of powers in the team. Less time trying to explain where the powers come from (not all heroes can be supersoldiers or mutants right?). Also, I really like that nighthawk has probably the most over the top costume out of the ultimate line so far. That has to be commented on. I can see a desperate Hank Pym pinching the bridge of his nose as nighthawk walks in, but accepting it anyway.
The Valkyrie character is gonna be interesting. obviously given that we are supposed to be unsure whether thor is a god or nutball, she cannot give sway on that argument. I think she's gonna be little more than thors biggest fan :)
As for the black knight, who he have links with excaliber? and if so, ult capt britain links.
Hell, this low rent ultimates prolly deserves it's own series, it does seem like it could be very amusing.

Gavin Bennett said:
Well, this looks good.

The Defenders issue is apparently a one shot, so its probably a "this is what Giant Man did next" episode. The fact that the Ultimate Defenders were introduced here implies that they will show up for some reason in the last arc. If I were a betting man, I would think we will be presented with a thematic plot involving what does it mean to be a super hero in the Ultimate Universe.

Damon Hellstorm was a character marvellously brought to irredeemable life by Warren Ellis in the final 10 issues of the early 90s Hellstorm comic. It was a wonderfully over the top, evil, depraved, beautifully written, gorgeously illustrated (by Leonardo Manco) series involving angels, demons, wars in heaven, satanists, British TV, Gargoyle... wonderful stuff. There was a quasi sequel called Druid.

As I said elsewhere, it would be fun to see Ellis loosed on an Ultimate Mystic Characters ongoing series...

Gavin

Where did you hear that the issue was going to be a one-shot? A while ago, I thought they were going to have their own arc...

It's not really a 'one-shot' per say. It's that the way Millar wrote it, it's as if it was a 'one-shot'. He had said that the first arc is really made up with a "three-parter", a "two-pater" and a "one-shot".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back