Non-Arrowverse DC TV Show Timelines

Another possibility, in the context of the comic, that newspaper was brought over because Winston was trying to be "incognito" and it was whatever his associate had lying around. So probably an old newspaper.

That's possible?
Here's the scene btw.

Superman Returns' Earth then?

Comic would be 2001 then. Problem is that that comic is specifically the Donnerverse version, so that kinda becomes speculation to place it in Earth-96. Unless we take Superman Returns to be the same continuity as the old series again, but them that kinda screws up the whole timeline again, lol.

So, I guess Human Target (2010) is Earth-78?

Comic would be 2001 then. Problem is that that comic is specifically the Donnerverse version, so that kinda becomes speculation to place it in Earth-96. Unless we take Superman Returns to be the same continuity as the old series again, but them that kinda screws up the whole timeline again, lol.

So, I guess Human Target (2010) is Earth-78?
I think it's just a meaningless Easter egg. I doubt they were trying to confirm Human Target was part of the Donnerverse. It'd be like using the Quake paper from Spider-Verse to place AoS in the universe it was featured in.

Well, I do think Superman and the Daily Planet exist in the Human Target universe in any case.
I'd agree there, but I don't get how Crisis being confirmed as a fictional comic works with it though.

Crisis as a comic was inspired by Superman's existence.
Feels lazy, but I think it boils down to the show itself not considering itself as part of a DC universe with heroes like Superman, The Flash, Batman, etc. while the comic put in the Superman reference in as an Easter egg with no real meaning to the actual show.

Feels lazy, but I think it boils down to the show itself not considering itself as part of a DC universe with heroes like Superman, The Flash, Batman, etc. while the comic put in the Superman reference in as an Easter egg with no real meaning to the actual show.
You're entitled to your opinion but TBH, if we undervalued everything by that standard, nothing would be connected.

The editor chose to put in a specific Superman '78 newspaper headline for a reason. We don't need Christopher Reeve's Superman to pop up and say "Hi" to Christopher Chance while beating the villain-of-the-week's ass to get a confirmation.

My theory of it being an old newspaper from decades prior is a reach, but the specific easter egg isn't IMO. The fans figure this out for a reason, because companies like DC and Marvel depend on fan knowledge for continuity's sake.

@selfishmisery Which comic was it?
(NOTE: The Wiki wrongly lists the main character as from "New Earth", because it's set in the show's universe.)

Earth-78
1978 - Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut
1979 - Superman II
1080 - Superman III
1984 - Supergirl: Director's Cut
1985 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
200? - Human Target Vol. 3 #1-6
2010 - Human Target 1x01-1x12
2011 - Human Target 2x01-2x13
2013 - The Flash

is that what you're thinking? IF we are to take it as canon. Then we have Earth-80 (Richard Donner Cut) and Earth-789 (Comic Continuation Universe).

Also, the wiki thinks the comic is set in the main DC earth, but it contradicts itself so likely normal wiki errors.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion but TBH, if we undervalued everything by that standard, nothing would be connected.

The editor chose to put in a specific Superman '78 newspaper headline for a reason. We don't need Christopher Reeve's Superman to pop up and say "Hi" to Christopher Chance while beating the villain-of-the-week's ass to get a confirmation.

My theory of it being an old newspaper from decades prior is a reach, but the specific easter egg isn't IMO. The fans figure this out for a reason, because companies like DC and Marvel depend on fan knowledge for continuity's sake.
I'm just saying there are Easter eggs that are just that. We literally just had the Quake one in Spider-Verse and this is literally no different with both using the exact paper from the original movie/show. I'm all for connecting projects that need to be, but I feel like there's more tangible evidence needed here, but agree to disagree.

Earth-78
1978 - Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut
1979 - Superman II
1080 - Superman III
1984 - Supergirl: Director's Cut
1985 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
200? - Human Target Vol. 3 #1-6
2010 - Human Target 1x01-1x12
2011 - Human Target 2x01-2x13
2013 - The Flash

is that what you're thinking? IF we are to take it as canon. Then we have Earth-80 (Richard Donner Cut) and Earth-789 (Comic Continuation Universe).

Also, the wiki thinks the comic is set in the main DC earth, but it contradicts itself so likely normal wiki errors.
Putting aside the Earth numbers, lets go with the Donnerverse chronology and assume, again, Winston was given an old newspaper from 1978 as a "incognito" prop.

@Jozaca I see you liked Rman's posts.

May I remind you that the Jessie show and any Disney Channel original series are 1000% NOT canon to the Earth-12041 Marvel Animated Universe. :p

@Jozaca I see you liked Rman's posts.

May I remind you that the Jessie show and any Disney Channel original series are 1000% NOT canon to the Earth-12041 Marvel Animated Universe. :p
The Jessie crossover does actually include the characters from the show, not a 30 years old newspaper. :p

To be fair, it is a super-specific reference. I think it arguably warrants a note on the Donnerverse timeline even if we were to not fully include it. It is very interesting though, you have to admit. They recreated it exactly the same as Superman II.

Arguably it works better if we were to assume that Superman Returns was the same continuity as the other films, even though that destroys the timeline somewhat. I think we'd have to assume that it's an old newspaper as crazy as it is.

Though, the idea that the Crisis on Infinite Earths comic was created based on, at least, a variation of Christopher Reeve's Superman is amusing.

Let's call this a gray area of canon, like Catwoman (2004) and the Burtonverse (which is taken as canon), and Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman with the Burtonverse (which is taken as non-canon). It's obviously a tie to the Donnerverse, but it's up to us to interpret it in whatever way we find reasonable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back