One Piece

Conversation between me and a friend today:

Me: Hey, do you like One Piece?
Friend: Eh. The pacing was terrible and it didn't go anywhere so I dropped it.
Me: Oh, it's sped up a lot recently. Let's see...OK, Luffy got seperated from his crew by a cyborg bear preacher man who punched him across the ocean. While he hasn't gotten back to them yet, he's in the middle of rescuing his brother Ace with an unofficial crew made up of an Amazon snake lady who wants to get in his pants, several of his old enemies (including the love child of Lex Luthor and Captain Hook), an ambiguously gay Edward Scissorhands butler, a rebellious fishman who kind of reminds me of Malcolm X, and a metrosexual revolutionary who was friends with his father and can kill people by winking.
Friend: ...Are you high?

The new One Piece is out.

And it's fun times.

Oh yes.

Looks like the adventures of the other Straw Hats are going to be covered by the cover mini-arcs.

Which is fine by me. It'll save time. So long as we don't lose a good story in the process.

I just have to say this arc keeps going in directions I don't expect, and whatnot.

First off, I thought they all would land in the Grand Line, but it's evident that they haven't, they are scattered all over the place.

Second, I figured that first Amazon he ran into would join the crew. That was wrong, as it seems the Queen will be the one joining, since she's in love with Luffy.

Then I figured Luffy would raid the Jail, and his various scattered crew members would show up and help out. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I didn't expect the hidden prisoners, the fact that Crocodile is helping them out, the whole breakout, and now, the damn Blackbeard crew showing up. I honestly can say I have no idea how this fight will end.

I just have to say this arc keeps going in directions I don't expect, and whatnot.

First off, I thought they all would land in the Grand Line, but it's evident that they haven't, they are scattered all over the place.

Second, I figured that first Amazon he ran into would join the crew. That was wrong, as it seems the Queen will be the one joining, since she's in love with Luffy.

Then I figured Luffy would raid the Jail, and his various scattered crew members would show up and help out. That doesn't seem to be happening.

I didn't expect the hidden prisoners, the fact that Crocodile is helping them out, the whole breakout, and now, the damn Blackbeard crew showing up. I honestly can say I have no idea how this fight will end.

I say we find out what drugs Oda is taking, then make sure he has a limitless supply of it.

...well, that's the end of Sanji's story. He was a fine cook and will be rememebered for it.

In other news, looks like Blackbeard has his own agenda. This could only be awesome.

...well, that's the end of Sanji's story. He was a fine cook and will be rememebered for it.

I seriously want to know where the hell Oda is going with this story. I mean, at first it was amusing, but this just seems kind of cruel.

In other news, looks like Blackbeard has his own agenda. This could only be awesome.

Oh, it'll be awesome. I didn't like Blackbeard at first, but he's growing into a very intriguing character.

Anyone want to wager what Luffy's bounty is going to become after this whole ordeal? I'm guessing it doubles. Because, breaking in is one thing. . .releasing the most dangerous prisoners in the world is something else. And, unlike the Thriller Bark incident, there's no way in hell the WG is going to be able to cover this up. Or that Luffy was responsible for it.

Also, anyone think we'll see Ace actually executed? Or Whitebeard, for that matter?

Last edited:
Looks like I was right.

I think it's hilarious how Nico keeps her cleavage even though she's on a frigid island in the middle of a blizzard.

I seriously want to know where the hell Oda is going with this story. I mean, at first it was amusing, but this just seems kind of cruel.

Oh, it'll be awesome. I didn't like Blackbeard at first, but he's growing into a very intriguing character.

Anyone want to wager what Luffy's bounty is going to become after this whole ordeal? I'm guessing it doubles. Because, breaking in is one thing. . .releasing the most dangerous prisoners in the world is something else. And, unlike the Thriller Bark incident, there's no way in hell the WG is going to be able to cover this up. Or that Luffy was responsible for it.

Also, anyone think we'll see Ace actually executed? Or Whitebeard, for that matter?

I could see Kuma explaining to a traumatized Sanji that he needed the Straw Hats to be stronger for whatever his ulterior motives are, and Sanji's most obvious weakness was his obsession with women. So he sent Sanji to that island in an effort to cure him of it. And then everyone screams at him "Oh, who are you kidding, you're just a prick!"

Luffy's bounty will probably be a lot bigger then that. After all, Luffy is doing all this after he punched out two of the World Nobles. And he was supposed to be dead after that!

As for Ace and Whitebeard...it's a toss-up. The only person in One Piece to die outside of a flashback is Arlong, but One Piece is anything but a predicable animal.

So, rumor has it that Viz is going to do a blitz with One Piece to catch up, ala Naruto Nation. There'll be a time jump from Alabasta to Impel Down in Shonen Jump, while the rest of the volumes will be released extremely quickly.

I hope this is true. I'd like to support One Piece in the States without having to resort to scanlations. It'd also be really nice to see the other two Color Walks and the Data Books come stateside. I just wish they'd fix stupid **** like "Zolo" and "Roguetown". I'm fine with the toned down language, but those two things bother the ever living **** out of me.

In other news, I'm almost caught up. Ten more chapters!

Eh I doubt they're dead, they probably got a less concentrated dose than Luffy.

They really should be. If there's one thing I dislike about One Piece is that no one ever dies in the present.

Hell, I still think Zoro should die sometime after beating Mihawk. Perhaps protecting his captain against one of the Yonkou or something.

Latest posts

Back