Out of Print (A New TPB/HC Thread)

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
This is the all purpose thread for complaining about out of print books. I remember when I first started collecting, trade paperbacks and hardcover collections were a easy cheap way to catch up on series without having to search bins for backissues.

Now everything goes out of print. Some books remind cheap on sites like amazon and ebay. But some skyrocket in price and there is no rhythm for some of them.

I understand big deluxe releases like the Marvel and DC Omnibus line and even the DC Absolutes. But when something goes out of print, private sellers sell that stuff for so much.

Examples are the first trade of the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series is like 100 dollars on amazon. Guardians of the Galaxy, both trade and hardcover are overpriced. There is a movie coming out and how are new readers suppose to catch up. Oh wait read the dumb Bendis relaunch. The thing is books that only came out a few months ago sell out so fast.

My question is if books are selling well, why are they not producing more? It seems like they are losing money this way.

Anyway this is a just a rant. What books would you like to see reprinted or maybe just what books would you like to see made?

I third the general gist of this thread. I've never understood how publishers can be so out of touch they allow for collections/books to go out of print when there's enough of a demand to justify huge jumps in the prices of those books through second-hand sellers on EBay/Amazon. As a company they're literally missing out on consumers' money, and instead it's going to jerks who overcharge like crazy for these books.

Remender found out that some of his Uncanny X-Force books were out of print on twitter once and it was hilarious. He had no idea that things like this happen and the amount of money people try to sell this stuff for.

The guy that was in charge of the TPBs/Omnibuses/etc. at Marvel was fired recently. The reports made it sound like the reason was because things were going out of print that people wanted and he wasn't reprinting them. If people are willing to pay $400 for an Omnibus its' a good indicator that there is still demand for the book. So I think it is expected that their reprint policy will change sometime in the near future more favorably. They've already announced a few OOP Omnibuses that are coming back (July, I think).

Books can be expensive to print so I get that it's not an exact science, trying to keep books in print and figuring out what should be reprinted. But that's all the more reason why they should be offering such books digitally.

Miracleman says hello.

Irritating, but given that nobody wants to get sued over it I can understand why it isn't in print.

My worry about Miracleman is that I just have this nagging feeling that Marvel is going to screw with the content once they do publish it. I *really* don't want them to change the name back to Marvelman for the collected editions, either, and I have a nagging feeling they will. It was originally Marvelman for what is the equivalent of the first 6 issues, but everything after that was published as Miracleman. It would be worse to change the 17 issues at this point.

Irritating, but given that nobody wants to get sued over it I can understand why it isn't in print.

My worry about Miracleman is that I just have this nagging feeling that Marvel is going to screw with the content once they do publish it. I *really* don't want them to change the name back to Marvelman for the collected editions, either, and I have a nagging feeling they will. It was originally Marvelman for what is the equivalent of the first 6 issues, but everything after that was published as Miracleman. It would be worse to change the 17 issues at this point.

I don't have a problem with that. It wouldn't fundamentally change the story in any way, only the superhero persona of one character (er, maybe three counting Miraclewoman/Marvelwoman and Kid Miracle/Marvelman), especially since he was originally referred to as Marvelman and only changed to Miracleman when brought to the US to avoid copyright/trademark infringement by Marvel. Since they now (apparently) own the rights, I'd love to see it as it was originally meant to be read as intended by Moore. Of course I still doubt we'll ever get reprints of the Moore/Gaiman runs, as its been, what, 3-5 years since it was announced and all we've seen are reprints of Mick Anglo's old comics from the 1950's and 1960's?

I don't have a problem with that. It wouldn't fundamentally change the story in any way, only the superhero persona of one character (er, maybe three counting Miraclewoman/Marvelwoman and Kid Miracle/Marvelman), especially since he was originally referred to as Marvelman and only changed to Miracleman when brought to the US to avoid copyright/trademark infringement by Marvel. Since they now (apparently) own the rights, I'd love to see it as it was originally meant to be read as intended by Moore. Of course I still doubt we'll ever get reprints of the Moore/Gaiman runs, as its been, what, 3-5 years since it was announced and all we've seen are reprints of Mick Anglo's old comics from the 1950's and 1960's?

I am pretty sure they will. There is a LOT of stuff to clear up; some characters and concepts are co-owned by other creators (I think Gary Moore co-owns the Warpsmiths) and they need to clear everything with everybody. This includes art as well; I think it is assumed that each artist owns the art they created, or at least the royalties need to be figured.

Latest posts

Back