Pet-Peeve Thread 4: More peeve than you can handle.

People who think I should get a Facebook and think I don't for these reasons.

Unless somebody actually tells me that, I don't assume it about them, but people do. Even if they don't know what Facebook is. Who do they think is going to stalk them? In the same vein, people who already have and actively use Facebook but complain about how much more information people can see on your profile now compared to before, despite all of it being completely optional to a) put there in the first place and b) set who sees what.

Unless somebody actually tells me that, I don't assume it about them, but people do. Even if they don't know what Facebook is. Who do they think is going to stalk them? In the same vein, people who already have and actively use Facebook but complain about how much more information people can see on your profile now compared to before, despite all of it being completely optional to a) put there in the first place and b) set who sees what.

i know a guy who thinks facebook is a combination of Big Brother (from 1984) and the machine fromMinority Report (I don't really understand that one, but he was talking about the book, which apparently is different from the movie).

This basically goes without saying by now, but normal, everyday people who refuse to get Facebook, Skype, or even the internet because they're ill-definedly paranoid that it'll let "people" stalk them, find out where they live, steal their identity, know too much about them, etc.

Well, they're pretty valid reasons.

i know a guy who thinks facebook is a combination of Big Brother (from 1984) and the machine fromMinority Report (I don't really understand that one, but he was talking about the book, which apparently is different from the movie).

This is brilliant.

I don't have a facebook page and don't plan to get one. My reasons are nothing to do with been paranoid. Mine are :

1) Anyone I really want to know what they did that day, I'll talk too. Directly on phone , in person or on a messager. Otherwise I don't really care what you do.

2) Everyone I know who has one is always been pestered with "Wanna play this game?" "wanna get this app?" "Hey you don't know me but add me!" It's like why would anyone want too?

3) I have a Myspace I use just to upload pictures and that's all i use it for. I'll stick with that.

4) the Drama. I can't be arsed listening to everyone ***** about rl or what other facebook people have. I'm not in highschool anymore and not been in it for years now. I'm above that crap. (I know Ironic as this is pet peeve thread. But this site is just to talk about games , tv , comics ect... like sites like imdb. It's nothing like facebook)

Last edited:
Nobody gives a damn, you're some middle-aged accountant or something

This is what makes the reasoning hilarious to me. No one I've ever heard make this excuse is anyone anyone would want to stalk in the first place.

1) Anyone I really want to know what they did that day, I'll talk too. Directly on phone , in person

:lol: This is the EXACT same thing my grandma said the other day when she started railing on Facebook.

Actually they have good reason to be paranoid.

I Stalk EVERYONE on Facebook

128893891203678199.jpg

Last edited:
As valid as they would be for not owning a cellphone, a landline, a voter's registration or the deed to a house. Nobody gives a damn, you're some middle-aged accountant or something, and if some phantom person or government wants to stalk you they will.

Well, the internet makes everything infinitely easier. Imagine if there was no internet, how hard it would be to find someone. You don't know people's past's. Maybe there some guy a girl has been trying to avoid. I mean damn! We already got serial killers with the "facebook" and "Craigslist" monikers in them. To see a deed to a house, you would need to go to a public forum like city hall or some city management building where there's measures taken to find who you are and why you're looking at it, not to mention CCTV in government buildings. Voter Registration cards are only accessible to government employees and even then, a very minute number. Cellphones and landlines are, for the most part accessible on the internet but you can easily call the companies in question (ie whitepages.com) and have the info blocked. Facebook, Twitter and SKype are all free services with botched, or have botched their, security services where one can find nearly all the information they need to locate a person. It's not about Big Brother in most cases, it's about self preservation.

Well, the internet makes everything infinitely easier. Imagine if there was no internet, how hard it would be to find someone. You don't know people's past's. Maybe there some guy a girl has been trying to avoid. I mean damn! We already got serial killers with the "facebook" and "Craigslist" monikers in them. To see a deed to a house, you would need to go to a public forum like city hall or some city management building where there's measures taken to find who you are and why you're looking at it, not to mention CCTV in government buildings. Voter Registration cards are only accessible to government employees and even then, a very minute number. Cellphones and landlines are, for the most part accessible on the internet but you can easily call the companies in question (ie whitepages.com) and have the info blocked. Facebook, Twitter and SKype are all free services with botched, or have botched their, security services where one can find nearly all the information they need to locate a person. It's not about Big Brother in most cases, it's about self preservation.

You're right! All the other countless advances in technology that made people much easier to track down throughout history were totally okay, EXCEPT FOR THE INTERNET which is the line. The world is now too dangerous a place for random middle-class accountants and real estate temps living in suburbs of Delaware, because thanks to Facebook all their photos can automatically be seen by random serial killers, and maybe even the CIA, all of whom have been just waiting for an opportunity like this!

The only solution is to cut themselves off from the millions of advantages things like Facebook and the internet itself offer, and stay in the not-at-all-arbitrarily-deemed-"safe" world of twenty-year-old technology, despite that stuff having also made it way easier to stalk people(or whatever) than the previous generation's level of tech, and so on and so on.

You're right! All the other countless advances in technology that made people much easier to track down throughout history were totally okay, EXCEPT FOR THE INTERNET which is the line. The world is now too dangerous a place for random middle-class accountants and real estate temps living in suburbs of Delaware, because thanks to Facebook all their photos can automatically be seen by random serial killers, and maybe even the CIA, all of whom have been just waiting for an opportunity like this!

The only solution is to cut themselves off from the millions of advantages things like Facebook and the internet itself offer, and stay in the not-at-all-arbitrarily-deemed-"safe" world of twenty-year-old technology, despite that stuff having also made it way easier to stalk people(or whatever) than the previous generation's level of tech, and so on and so on.

All I'm saying is that the internet makes it infinitely easier for a person who wouldn't normally go to great lengths to stalk someone to be able to do so from the comfort of their creepy superman pajamas. I will say, having your pics and everything on all these sites leaves practically anyone up for grabs as a potential identity theft risk. Regardless of the fact, Facebook has it's risks as well as benefits (which I can hardly see Facebook as a benefit other than connecting with your friends). Employers nowadays are crafty; they try to find out who you are before they even decide to offer you a job. They would find your facebook, ultimately find you here on UC and see how easily you fly off the handle on something as simple as a post and decide, "Wow, this person does not have the capacity for rational thought. Do not want." And THEN, and then you get a phone call from the company you've been waiting for thinking you got the job. YAY! and they tell you, "Sorry to inform you, but we felt you weren't qualified for the job. We went with someone else but you're more than welcome to try again when we have an opening available." And then you log in to Facebook where some douchebag hacked your account and posted photoshopped pictures of you on bikini bodies and receiving Cleveland steamers." The internet can be a fickle mistress, my friend. That naivete will get you no where.

I think just in the past 6 months, about 5 people have been fired for pictures they posted of themselves dancing on strip poles (as a jest and fully clothed mind you), holding a beer in hand, and my fellow coworker is on the block now just for talking to his wife on facebook. Granted I work in a government position where accountability is much higher than working at a toy shop, so we have to uphold a certain image in the public eye.

And to be completely honest, I'm just doing this to see how far you're willing to go in this conversation. It's actually kind of silly to even call this a peeve. You're young, why're you so bent out of shape about little things. It's not like you saw a guy hanging himself, forever scarring your heart and leaving you on xanex so you could talk to people on the internet without flying off the handle. Otherwise, I would have done this....

[video=youtube;LxdmVdruANc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxdmVdruANc[/video]

All I'm saying is that the internet makes it infinitely easier for a person who wouldn't normally go to great lengths to stalk someone to be able to do so from the comfort of their creepy superman pajamas.
Every advance in technology makes this easier. The internet was not the magic line from "safe" to "dangerous" any more than newspapers and photographs were. And again, the people I'm talking about are not people who would be stalked. They just don't get how it works.

Employers nowadays are crafty; they try to find out who you are before they even decide to offer you a job. They would find your facebook, ultimately find you here on UC and see how easily you fly off the handle on something as simple as a post and decide, "Wow, this person does not have the capacity for rational thought. Do not want." And THEN, and then you get a phone call from the company you've been waiting for thinking you got the job. YAY! and they tell you, "Sorry to inform you, but we felt you weren't qualified for the job. We went with someone else but you're more than welcome to try again when we have an opening available." And then you log in to Facebook where some douchebag hacked your account and posted photoshopped pictures of you on bikini bodies and receiving Cleveland steamers." The internet can be a fickle mistress, my friend. That naivete will get you no where.

And yet amazingly, that's never happened to me, and I'm betting it's never happened to Bass or DSF or Mole or whoever either, because again, a) nobody gives a damn, it's a ****ing comic board, b) that's not how Facebook works unless a person is stupid enough to actually set compromising photos of themselves so they can be seen by people they don't want to see them.

I think just in the past 6 months, about 5 people have been fired for pictures they posted of themselves dancing on strip poles (as a jest and fully clothed mind you), holding a beer in hand, and my fellow coworker is on the block now just for talking to his wife on facebook. Granted I work in a government position where accountability is much higher than working at a toy shop, so we have to uphold a certain image in the public eye.

a) They, not "the internet", chose to post those pictures, chose to make them visible to their employers, and thus took the risk, like they would with any level of technology.

b) My posts have repeatedly said this is a peeve of mine when it's invoked by people that nobody would want or need to stalk. You're a cop, good for you, you and other government employees are the exception, not the norm, not who I get annoyed hearing this stuff from. And you still have the internet and a profile on a comic board anyway!

And to be completely honest, I'm just doing this to see how far you're willing to go in this conversation. It's actually kind of silly to even call this a peeve. You're young, why're you so bent out of shape about little things. It's not like you saw a guy hanging himself, forever scarring your heart and leaving you on xanex so you could talk to people on the internet without flying off the handle. Otherwise, I would have done this....

This is the pet-peeve thread. It's for complaining about little things, and this is at least the second time you've come into it to insult people for doing so. Never mind that, despite being "young", I've been able to get through your posts without replying that you must be emotionally scarred or something(careful, your employers might see that you do that!). Never mind that you've somehow decided that going out of your way to spend this much time on a topic you don't care about makes you less of a loser than me, more mature, whatever.

If you don't want to read people "getting bent out of shape about little things", or can't read that without accusing them of being on xanex, try and be mature enough not to click on the pet-peeve discussion thread in the future.

All I'm saying is that the internet makes it infinitely easier for a person who wouldn't normally go to great lengths to stalk someone to be able to do so from the comfort of their creepy superman pajamas.
Every advance in technology makes this easier. The internet was not the magic line from "safe" to "dangerous" any more than newspapers and photographs were. And again, the people I'm talking about are not people who would be stalked. They just don't get how it works.

And yet amazingly, that's never happened to me, and I'm betting it's never happened to Bass or DSF or Mole or whoever either, because again, a) nobody gives a damn, it's a ****ing comic board, b) that's not how Facebook works unless a person is stupid enough to actually set compromising photos of themselves so they can be seen by people they don't want to see them.

a) They, not "the internet", chose to post those pictures, chose to make them visible to their employers, and thus took the risk, like they would with any level of technology.

b) My posts have repeatedly said this is a peeve of mine when it's invoked by people that nobody would want or need to stalk. You're a cop, good for you, you and other government employees are the exception, not the norm, not who I get annoyed hearing this stuff from. And you still have the internet and a profile on a comic board anyway!

This is the pet-peeve thread. It's for complaining about little things, and this is at least the second time you've come into it to insult people for doing so. Never mind that, despite being "young", I've been able to get through your posts without replying that you must be emotionally scarred or something(careful, your employers might see that you do that!). Never mind that you've somehow decided that going out of your way to spend this much time on a topic you don't care about makes you less of a loser than me, more mature, whatever.

If you don't want to read people "getting bent out of shape about little things", or can't read that without accusing them of being on xanex, try and be mature enough not to click on the pet-peeve discussion thread in the future.

Let's just cut to the chase. Can I be your pet peeve or not?!

Latest posts

Back