Pet-Peeve Thread 4: More peeve than you can handle.

i got invited to a 'Pints for Pits' meet and greet today. Without Facebook, how else would I have known? Gonna get drunk with my dog.

Incorrect. That is not telling you to get one. It is an option of many to use the website.

I get pop-ups from websites telling me to log in to Facebook. That is being asked to join. Just because I don't have to and it is optional, doesn't mean I'm not being asked.

On the notion that, in the age of Facebook, people have gone insane and don't care who comes to their events anymore, just how many people come: This is just absurd to me. Do you actually have any evidence for this? Do you know anybody who would actually rather have 200 randomers click "Attend" and come to their house instead of their 6 best friends? All I can say is that I, personally, have absolutely never seen this attitude from anyone. Yes, some people invite their entire friends list and beyond to every shindig they have, but the idea that they do that instead of focusing on the handful of people they specifically want to come is, in my experience, 100% untrue.

This is not new behaviour. PEople used to put up flyers or use word of mouth to get any number of people to a party. This is very usual behaviour. I find it distasteful, and some people grow out of it after their house has been destroyed a number of times, but I have been to many parties and many events where I have asked the host, "Who's coming?" and not only are they surprised to see me, they tell me, "Don't know."

On the notion that you, Houde, and anyone else are being excluded from things because you don't have/use Facebook and people have forgotten about/grown too impatient for all other forms of communication: Facebook is, by far, my first and best line of communication with the outside world. I use it as the primary way of arranging random hangouts, events and twice for full parties. Despite this, I also have friends who either don't have Facebook or don't use it often enough to be reliable, and never once have I or anybody I know excluded them because we couldn't be bothered to call/text/email them.

Likewise, even when I've been invited to something on Facebook by someone else who uses Facebook, I almost always get an additional text/call from them as the day of the event to confirm I'm coming or ask when, and treat my other FB friends the same way because, obviously, we want each other there and you are correct about how easy it still is to pick up the phone.

So basically, I find all this "hilarious"(not really) because I've seen about as much evidence for fancy new methods of communication actually controlling peoples' popularity as I've seen for fancy new weather satellites actually controlling the weather. Twitter, Facebook, email, cellphone or landline, people invite who they want to see, same as it ever was.

And if people crazy enough to care more about their public Attendee count or not using anything other than websites to invite people to things, no matter who this excludes, actually do exist(my count, to date, is nil), well, why do you want to hang out with them anyway?

As I said, I don't have a problem with people using facebook to keep in touch, much like I don't mind people using e-mails for the same reason. The behaviour you just described is what I said was what should be happening, and is appropriate.

I was very careful to express what it is I don't like about facebook and how it's used, and yet people respond by saying, "Well, that's not me, that's not how I use facebook" and then I have to just repeat myself. If you're not being narcissitic, if you're using facebook as an address book, then fine. I already said the technology has merit. I didn't lump you in with a bunch of shallow users, so why are you acting like I did?

I get that I post essays that rant, but if people cannot be bothered to read them, comprehend and process them and consider that maybe I am not completely bat**** crazy in my opinion, don't bother to respond.

I did not attack anyone on the site. I did not attack your use of the damn program because I don't know how you use it. I said that there were benefits to these technologies, and I clearly expressed that the selfish, shallow, narcissistic use of these social networking mediums to create a mini-celebrity cult out of yourself, is sick. If that's not you, then don't tell me I'm wrong because it doesn't apply to you or your friends.

I am done with this topic and this thread.

EDIT - I'm done with the thread because it winds me up. I'm ranting about stuff that pisses me off because it's the 'peeve' thread, and talking about it over the net just gets me more pissed off because there's no give and take as you have with a real conversation. So I'm being mad and rude and there's no cause for it. So the above is pissy and I'm recusing myself because I'm being pissy. If I were you, I would either not read it, or if I did, I'd try to forget it.

i got invited to a 'Pints for Pits' meet and greet today. Without Facebook, how else would I have known? Gonna get drunk with my dog.

:lol:

Last edited:
This is not new behaviour. PEople used to put up flyers or use word of mouth to get any number of people to a party. This is very usual behaviour. I find it distasteful, and some people grow out of it after their house has been destroyed a number of times, but I have been to many parties and many events where I have asked the host, "Who's coming?" and not only are they surprised to see me, they tell me, "Don't know."

But again, this doesn't mean they didn't have a specific handful of people in mind that they went out of their way to invite in addition to the mass invites, whether or not those people end up being able to make it, and so are not "sick" or so cut-off they don't even care who comes, etc.

I was very careful to express what it is I don't like about facebook and how it's used, and yet people respond by saying, "Well, that's not me, that's not how I use facebook" and then I have to just repeat myself. If you're not being narcissitic, if you're using facebook as an address book, then fine. I already said the technology has merit. I didn't lump you in with a bunch of shallow users, so why are you acting like I did?

I get that I post essays that rant, but if people cannot be bothered to read them, comprehend and process them and consider that maybe I am not completely bat**** crazy in my opinion, don't bother to respond.

I did not attack anyone on the site. I did not attack your use of the damn program because I don't know how you use it. I said that there were benefits to these technologies, and I clearly expressed that the selfish, shallow, narcissistic use of these social networking mediums to create a mini-celebrity cult out of yourself, is sick. If that's not you, then don't tell me I'm wrong because it doesn't apply to you or your friends.

I am done with this topic and this thread.

:lol:

A spirited counterpoint is not my way of saying "You attacked me and this is me getting back at you!". You didn't. Nor did I accuse you of saying "Everyone who uses Facebook is being a narcissist!". I don't even care about that aspect of any of it. I still think your stance on this issue, the part of it that I responded to and you and Houde blamed on Facebook and called "sick", is skewed.

This is what I'm addressing:
I too have missed out on Engagements, weddings, and even freaking births because I don't have a facebook. Glad to see someone agrees with me that facebook makes people lazy.

Asshats. The lot of them.
Firstly, I dislike facebook because it homogenizes relationships. Even with e-mail, you had to actually choose who would receive your e-mail. Now, you can put anything up on facebook and everyone can see it, and so long as you get enough responses, that's all that matters. Because I'm not on facebook I have missed every single engagement of my 'friends' for almost two years because they cannot be bothered to ask about me. At first, they said, "Oh, you're not on facebook. Sorry, I'll have to remember to ask you." Now it's, "Why don't you get on facebook? Stop making it hard for us to contact you." Well, **** you if contacting me is such a ****ing chore. It was a fine method of contact in 200-****ing-5.

From everything I've seen, having actually used Facebook for years, people don't get left out of events because they're not on Facebook, whether or not the people holding the events use it as an excuse.

People miss out on events because the people holding them didn't want them there bad enough to tell them about it. Could be for any number of reasons. Social networking isn't one of them.

I think I'm going to have to start tweeting about my toiletry habits 400 times per day.

This thread is a raging success.

But you should know your friend well enough to know if he's being sarcastic or not. Why has this become an alien concept?

You'd think. Except I have a shocking number of friends who say "ha ha" sarcastically if they don't find something funny. And if they do find something they type "ha ha" online. It's confusing as i'm never sure :lol:

Latest posts

Back