Question about Baxter Students

ourchair

A number of students have been offhandedly mentioned in the pages of post-Bendis Ultimate Fantastic Four. My question is, does anybody know if they may just be cleverly veiled nods to 616 characters and if so, who exactly?

*Mad Billy - apparently from Deliverance. He designed a press that was intended to test the strength of super-dense elements. Reed says that he, developed super-heavy super-hard metals under his bed, and we can assume the press was used to stress-test those metals. The press was used to test Ben's strength in UFF # 8. Mad Billy was also noted by Reed as having "built a particle accelerator in his bedroom" and "used to sit in the middle of it playing a banjo."

*Saxon - Invented his own language. One other student pointed out that his language was no good if no one else could understand it or speak it. He made a one-panel appearance in UFF # 2 as a chubby goateed lad.

*Strange Josie - Hailed from Seattle. According to Reed she invented a stealth corset and use it to sneak into boys' rooms at night and fire glue and chili paste into their pants.​

Incidentally, it won't be necessary to mention:

*Phineas Mason - First mentioned in UFF # 2 by Molekevic and mentioned again in UFF # 19. He was developing a gel-like substance designed for crowd control, which Rhona Burchill (AKA Mad Thinker) perfected later. He was booted out of the Baxter for dismantling the security systems. Phineas shares the same name as the Tinkerer, but the gel substance and security tampering are clear nods to Paste-Pot Pete and Mad Thinker.​

I thought at first this thread was a question about Baxter, the member here on UC.

As for the actual purpose of the thread, you'd probably know better than anyone else the likelihood of these students being Ultimized versions of 616 villains or allies, being the resident FF fan.

DIrishB said:
As for the actual purpose of the thread, you'd probably know better than anyone else the likelihood of these students being Ultimized versions of 616 villains or allies, being the resident FF fan.
True, but its entirely possible these are nods to characters not necessarily directly associated with the Fantastic Four side of the Marvel Universe. They could even just be references to B-grade 80s characters or New Universe crud from the days of Marvel's over-expansion under Shooter's tenure.

I think Ellis just wanted to convey that this was an actual school at one point and that there were other people next to the Four (Well, Reed and Sue) that were making technological advancements. I really don't think they're significant.

Goodwill said:
I think Ellis just wanted to convey that this was an actual school at one point and that there were other people next to the Four (Well, Reed and Sue) that were making technological advancements. I really don't think they're significant.
The potential is there but right now, they're fairly minor.

Phineas Mason also created the original Human Torch.

I thought Strange Josie was the Ultimate version of Paste Pot Pete, with her firing paste into people's pants.

thee great one said:
What about the kid in Ultimate Iron Man.

If you're talking about Obadiah Stane, he's the Iron Monger in regular Marvel continuity. I doubt the two kids who got themselves killed are any homage to anyone, since they're just cannon fodder.

Caduceus said:
That's pretty much my take on them as well, but I just wanted to check with other people who might know better.

ProjectX2 said:
Phineas Mason also created the original Human Torch.
Actually, the creator of the original Human Torch was Phineas HORTON and not Mason.

ProjectX2 said:
I thought Strange Josie was the Ultimate version of Paste Pot Pete, with her firing paste into people's pants.
Not paste. CHILI paste. :D

ourchair said:
*Saxon - Invented his own language. One other student pointed out that his language was no good if no one else could understand it or speak it. He made a one-panel appearance in UFF # 2 as a chubby goateed lad.
I think Starr Saxon would enjoy inventing and speaking a language that nobody else knew, but it's not him unless we see a passion for robotics.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/m/machinesmith.htm

If it is him, in a good ultimised version, we're in for fun. Starr Saxon had a sense of style, a personality, and the kind of mad deviousness that many super inventors should have but few do.

David Blue said:
I think Starr Saxon would enjoy inventing and speaking a language that nobody else knew, but it's not him unless we see a passion for robotics.

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/m/machinesmith.htm

If it is him, in a good ultimised version, we're in for fun. Starr Saxon had a sense of style, a personality, and the kind of mad deviousness that many super inventors should have but few do.
Good call. Perhaps the character wasn't intended to be him, but there's no reason why he can't be tooled to fit the 616 character.

Was it ever explained where the other students went after the N-Zone accident?

Hyperstorm said:
Was it ever explained where the other students went after the N-Zone accident?
Somewhere in the first half of the 'Doom' arc, Reed stated that the military had all the other kids relocated to an alternate facility in Oregon.

Latest posts

Back