Shared Universe Vs. Isolated Universe

Shared Universe or Isolated Universe's?

• Shared Universe (Marvel Universe, DC Universe)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Isolated Universe's (Darkhorse, Image, Vertigo)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Hire an editor with the cojones to say no once in awhile

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • The Bass Option

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Gemini

I imagine this would apply more to your Marvel and DC comic lines than anything else.

Recently I've been growing more and more tired with the shared universe concept in the Marvel universe. The more and more these storylines intersect the more frustrating they become to read. Back when Civil War was happening I would be the first person to be out there praising the benefit's of a shared universe. But now, I want Moon Knight in Moon Knight, Iron Fist in The Immortal Iron Fist, and Thor in Thor. I don't want to see them chumming it up with each other anymore, it's grown quite tiresom, and it seems to serve no purpose than to sell a few more comics and water down a writers vision for a series.

So I was wondering how the rest of the board felt about this, does anyone else feel that the shared universe concept has run it's course? or maybe think that the idea itself is not faulty but it's not being supported properly by editors?

I do personally think the bulk of my issue is stemming from the completley inept (for the most part) editorial team from Marvel. Or maybe it's stemming from event fatigue. Or possibly that I want the hero of the story to fight a villain, and not the star of another book, because then you obviously know the story will end in what can be summed up in a draw. It's probably the summation of all three.

I suppose without Shared Universe you can't really have a team like the Avengers or the JLA kicking around, because these are teams that are comprised of characters who for the most part have their own series, their own supporting casts, villains, etc. characters that can support themselves on their own quite easily. They aren't like the X-Men where you could more or less take the entire Mutant population and slap them into there own universe and noone would notice the difference. Isolating characters limit's their exposure and greatly reduce's the chance of new readers jumping onto a series.

Is there a happy medium that can be obtained? DC seems to have the right idea with having 1 major hero protecting a city (Superman for Metropolis, Batman for Gotham) with a group of under-heroes to flesh out the area, leading to a group of mostly isolated universe's comprising a larger shared one. Compared to Marvel New York having an epidemic of capes so bad that they're crawling all over each other eating each others young and so forth. Marvel seems to be trying to spread out their franchise's a little better sending the X-Men to 'frisco, and the 50 state initiative. But then again the 50 state initiative really only seems to be a depository for C and D list characters, and being in Frisco doesn't seem to stop Wolverine being in 7 places at once.

It's like having your cake and eating it too, does having Rulk beat the snot out of Thor benefit the over arching story of either series? no. But does having Iron Fist undertake a quest to the Capitol City of Hell, really accomplish anything other than getting him taken off of the Avengers a team which in the right hands he would be a fantastic fit? Not really.

I think Marvel and DC need to get some new editors with some fire and brimstone sensibilities. Only approve a cross-over if it really benefits all the parties involved and contributes to both stories, and not provide whipping horse's just so a writer can show off how bad *** their new character is. And ease of the events or else the bottom is going to fall out of the industry again.

Is there a happy medium that can be obtained? DC seems to have the right idea with having 1 major hero protecting a city (Superman for Metropolis, Batman for Gotham) with a group of under-heroes to flesh out the area, leading to a group of mostly isolated universe's comprising a larger shared one. Compared to Marvel New York having an epidemic of capes so bad that they're crawling all over each other eating each others young and so forth. Marvel seems to be trying to spread out their franchise's a little better sending the X-Men to 'frisco, and the 50 state initiative. But then again the 50 state initiative really only seems to be a depository for C and D list characters, and being in Frisco doesn't seem to stop Wolverine being in 7 places at once.

I think this is right for Marvel too, they both have self-contained corner's of the universe. It's just that marvel has more interconnected events, but even these are being dealt with ok.

For the most part character books are self contained and have their own self contained stories, Iron man, captain america, dead pool, captain britain (check that out it's awsome). But the Team books, e.g. new avengers, mighty avengers are much more integral. A lot of the cross overs for secret invasion happened as extra minis...I read secret invasion: thor, and thought it was executed well, you don't have to read secret invasion to follow this or read this to follow secret invasion. The event is just to give the whole universe some shared context and I quite like it.

A shared universe like marvel or DC only really happens in comics, some books and long running tv shows (e.g. star trek). However I figure the comic universes are more vast and varied than any i can think of, and i love them. If you want self-contained stories that's fine and there are some, and there are a lot more on TV. sinestro corps war could never work as TV series, civil war, secret invasion could never work, anything that's got the universes continuity in it only really fits in comics, and there are some great stories told in the universe, and even the bad ones add to the shared history. I vote shared, but yeah i take the editorial point.

Well excuse me for trying to spark some conversation on this board thats not about Planet-Man's irrational hatred of Blu-Ray (Kidding PM)
I think this is right for Marvel too, they both have self-contained corner's of the universe. It's just that marvel has more interconnected events, but even these are being dealt with ok.

For the most part character books are self contained and have their own self contained stories, Iron man, captain america, dead pool, captain britain (check that out it's awsome). But the Team books, e.g. new avengers, mighty avengers are much more integral. A lot of the cross overs for secret invasion happened as extra minis...I read secret invasion: thor, and thought it was executed well, you don't have to read secret invasion to follow this or read this to follow secret invasion. The event is just to give the whole universe some shared context and I quite like it.

A shared universe like marvel or DC only really happens in comics, some books and long running tv shows (e.g. star trek). However I figure the comic universes are more vast and varied than any i can think of, and i love them. If you want self-contained stories that's fine and there are some, and there are a lot more on TV. sinestro corps war could never work as TV series, civil war, secret invasion could never work, anything that's got the universes continuity in it only really fits in comics, and there are some great stories told in the universe, and even the bad ones add to the shared history. I vote shared, but yeah i take the editorial point.

I see the virtue's of shared universe's I really do (and Captain Britain & MI13 is sensational) but.

I feel that it kinda limits the developement of non-a-list characters, instead of having a character develope their own supporting cast's and rogue's galleries, they are consistently teaming-up with other heroes and fighting other characters rogue's. The only series that really seem to have any sort of character developement are the series that don't crossover with other's, Captain America, Daredevil, Thor, Incredible Hercules, etc.

The only team books that seem to get this right are books like Captain Britain & MI13, and Guardians of the Galaxy they are team books that focus around their own universe, and are comprised of characters that don't have their own books, they do have guest stars, but the guests are characters that won't have any impact on anything else.

Most of my favourite comics occur when they are isolated or do not interact with other characters. I mainly prefer isolated universes.

I enjoy both to different degrees. It can be very cool having characters crossover but sometimes with the huge events and all it can get really bogged down. I don't even pick up Marvel or DC books anymore (unless you can't Criminal or Wildcats) because of all the madness.

I like the way Kirkman ties in various Image books into his own little Kirkman-verse. The upcoming Image-wide company single issue crossover coming up in Invincible looks like it will be a lot of fun. Plus seeing Cyberforce, Spawn, Dragon, Youngblood and Shadowhawk all mixing it up together again. Neat-o! Image United anyone?

Latest posts

Back