Superman Anthology - Timeline

Pro Bot

I honestly believe Batman '89 Meets Superman '78 is possible, now. Possible, not certain.

Dok

Can you give me the exact duration of the movies (and the 2 versions of Superman II) please?
I don't understand whag are the canon versions and there are multiple versions in Wikipedia, and sice I've never seen one of those movies, I don't know what to watch?

Thanks!

Pro Bot

Can you give me the exact duration of the movies (and the 2 versions of Superman II) please?
I don't understand whag are the canon versions and there are multiple versions in Wikipedia, and sice I've never seen one of those movies, I don't know what to watch?

Thanks!
The duration is on here. Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut isn't as good as the other versions, it being so bloated, but it's basically the same film but with more... stuff. It was originally a tv movie, meaning they edited the cinema film to be longer so they could make more money off of it. There was demand to see it, so Warner Brothers released it, much to Richard Donner's displeasure. Since it's basically just an extension of the events, I included it here like any Extended Cut should be.

Superman II is the original version, and works better in canon, but Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is still an official film. I've used it here to solve a small continuity issue. It involves a different ending that makes it possible to include both films as canon. If that's not your thing, feel free to ignore it.

Other than that, Superman I, II, Returns, III, Supergirl, IV and Crisis work well together, continuity-wize. You just have to ignore release order for Superman Returns. It all makes sense due to some references in Crisis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dok

Dok

So the canon version of the first movie is the 188-minute version?

Pro Bot

So the canon version of the first movie is the 188-minute version?
They're all canon, technically. That's just the one with the most information about the events, if that makes sense. Sort of like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, which don't overwrite the movies but instead add to them.

The director prefers the Special Edition, and hates the Extended Cut. If you want to know everything, watch the Extended Cut. The Extended Cut is still an official WB restoration of the tv version of the film, complete with revised music to tie scenes together.

You might enjoy the Special Edition more, but the Extended Cut is the most "canon", I'd say.

Last edited:

Latest posts