Superman Anthology - Timeline (Outdated)

I don't entender very much, why Batman's Earth, why do not other Earth, like Earth, i don't know, Earth-78?
I would have swapped the around, to be honest.

Earth 96
1989: Batman
1992: Batman Returns
1995: Batman Forever
1997: Superman: The Movie, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, Batman & Robin
2001: Superman II, Supergirl
2004: Catwoman
2006: Superman Returns
2013: Superman III
2015: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
2020: Crisis on Infinite Earths

Earth 89
1977: Superman: The Movie, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, Superman II, Supergirl
1982: Superman Returns
1983: Superman III
1985: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
1989: Batman
1992: Batman Returns
2019 Crisis on Infinite Earths
2022: The Flash

Though, I'd rather they create a new Superman for Earth-89 based on Tim Burton's Superman Lives. Maybe an animated adaptation to tie it all together.

Last edited:
I don't entender very much, why Batman's Earth, why do not other Earth, like Earth, i don't know, Earth-78?
Batman 89 and Superman 78 will most likely have crossover comics, although its not confirmed yet. There are also some hints Superman 78 exists in the burtonverse, like a dvd box set that includes both franchises.

Batman 89 and Superman 78 will most likely have crossover comics, although its not confirmed yet. There are also some hints Superman 78 exists in the burtonverse, like a dvd box set that includes both franchises.
problem is that mismatch of the timeline as you can see Batman '89 comics is set very late in Bruce's life as the Batman and it is sound like that Superman '78 comic still take place after event of the fourth film and Clark & Lois still look like they still are in their mid-30s and I am not so sure if the event of SR are still in canon yet

Last edited:
I think the continuity of the Donner/ Reeve/ Routh stuff makes a lot more sense if it's like this.

Earth-78
- Superman
- Superman II
- Superman III
- Supergirl
- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Donner-Verse
- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Singer-Verse
- (Alt)Superman
- (Alt)Superman II
- Superman Returns

Earth-96
- (Alt)Superman
- (Alt)Superman II
- (Alt)Superman III
- (Alt)Superman Returns
- CW Crisis

Sorry, but I really don't think Guggenheim is the end all be all voice for canon, nor does he think that hard about this stuff, among other things.
It's weird how insistent people are about putting all of this into one hard-canon/ Earth and it doesn't help that he keeps putting his two cents into it.

According to Singer and the film itself, Returns was basically a reboot that treated Superman I and II as a "loose history" and ignores the story of III and IV. That, along with the fact that it's set in a completely different time period and etc all places Returns on a separate Earth from the Donner/ Reeve films.

As for CW's Kingdom Come, among Supe's vague lip service to elements from the Reeve films and Returns, he referenced that plot point from III, which never happened in the continuity of Returns up to that point and they also visually retconned everything about his world again compared to Returns.
They didn't put much thought into a lot of things when doing that Crisis event.

With a multiverse, is it that hard to believe Returns was it's own Earth, there's an Earth that's 100% Reeve in the 70s-80s, and Earth-96 each being their own things.

Last edited:
I think the continuity of the Donner/ Reeve/ Routh stuff makes a lot more sense if it's like this.

Earth-78
- Superman
- Superman II
- Superman III
- Supergirl
- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Donner-Verse
- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Singer-Verse
- (Alt)Superman
- (Alt)Superman II
- Superman Returns

Earth-96
- (Alt)Superman
- (Alt)Superman II
- (Alt)Superman III
- (Alt)Superman Returns
- CW Crisis

Sorry, but I really don't think Guggenheim is the end all be all voice for canon, nor does he think that hard about this stuff, among other things.
It's weird how insistent people are about putting all of this into one hard-canon/ Earth and it doesn't help that he keeps putting his two cents into it.

According to Singer and the film itself, Returns was basically a reboot that treated Superman I and II as a "loose history" and ignores the story of III and IV. That, along with the fact that it's set in a completely different time period and etc all places Returns on a separate Earth from the Donner/ Reeve films.

As for CW's Kingdom Come, among Supe's vague lip service to elements from the Reeve films and Returns, he referenced that plot point from III, which never happened in the continuity of Returns up to that point and they also visually retconned everything about his world again compared to Returns.
They didn't put much thought into a lot of things when doing that Crisis event.

With a multiverse, is it that hard to believe Returns was it's own Earth, there's an Earth that's 100% Reeve in the 70s-80s, and Earth-96 each being their own things.
um that is my problem with singer that he used 1 and 2 as his superman film universe is that it is too modernize for the 70s reeves films and there is no way superman and II has been happen in the same way as it did in the mid-70s pre-9/11 as in the late 90s/early 20000s post-9/11 world that was sr has

um that is my problem with singer that he used 1 and 2 as his superman film universe is that it is too modernize for the 70s reeves films and there is no way superman and II has been happen in the same way as it did in the mid-70s pre-9/11 as in the late 90s/early 20000s post-9/11 world that was sr has
Yeah, I wish that film had pushed harder as a hard-reboot, rather than a nostalgic retread of the Donner films.
Even the plot structure was super similar to Superman I. It's pretty much the complaint people had about The Force Awakens, except that one wasn't a reboot.

Superman '78 specifies the distance between Earth and Krypton. Unless there was some major exaggeration, Supergirl isn't set before Superman Returns.

Brainiac seems to be unaware of Jason and Kara. Kara makes sense, she wasn't on Earth for very long.

I suppose Jason is growing up hiding his powers, probably till he's 18 like Clark was when he made the Fortress?

It honestly makes more sense between Superman I and II, but if Nuclear Man is supposed to appear, then it's got to be post-IV.

It might make sense to compress the timeline a little because of ages of characters.

Superman I could be moved up to 2000/2001. This is because Lex mentions being in prison for 5 years in the comic Prequel. It ignores some numbers established, but to be fair I'm already ignoring a lot of numbers as it is because of the shifting timeline.

Superman III has the Olympics in it. Superman blew the Olympic torch out before it lit the fire. I guess it doesn't need to follow our exact timeline with each country, but it would make sense if it were the same year, right? So 2008 (China), 2010 (Canada) or 2012 (United Kingdom). Different universe, technically it could happen in different countries and on different years, but it's still evidence.

If I moved Superman III back, I could potentially move Superman IV back as well. There is a 1985 date in that film. The closest date to matching those numbers is 2015, but again, I'm ignoring 3 out of 4 of those numbers. I could easily set it the following year.

Hell, Supergirl could easily take place leading up to the moment the Daily Planet was gassed. Perhaps the reason Clark wasn't able to save them is because he was in space on a peace-seeking mission? Just random speculation.

Interesting.
In the upcoming issue, it's revealed that Brainiac put the Kryptonian city that Jor-El was located inside into a bottle. We can see this happening in the first issue, too.

This is interesting, because in every cut of Superman: The Movie, we can see the residents of Krypton falling to their death. Best guess is that the dome was put on in the frame before the exact scene in which Krypton exploded.

It's also interesting that Brainiac waited thousands of years to go to Earth and capture Superman. Also, do species age in Brainiac's pocket cities? How long do Kryptonians live for? Maybe it could place Krypton's explosion in 1948 like Lex Luthor estimated.

That would also put the films in this order:
1977 - Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut
1977 - Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
1977 - Superman II
1982 - Superman Returns
1983 - Superman III
1983 - Supergirl
1985 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
198? - Superman '78
2019 - Crisis on Infinite Earths (erm... I guess Clark would be really good at convincing everyone he's not Superman...)

If anyone knows the answer in the comics or such regarding that, let me know. Probably better to wait for the next few issues to clarify.

Last edited:
Earth-78 = Superman 1-4, Supergirl, Superman '78 (set further in the past)

Earth-96 = Superman 1 & 2 + Returns (set closer to 2006)

There is your solution. Similar histories, different time periods/timelines.

As for the thousands of years thing, was that brought up in the comics or a line of dialogue in one of the films?

IIRC you said Jor-El said it in the Fortress. He could have been referring to the slow death of Krypton and when it started to die rather than the instant it went kablooey.

Earth-78 = Superman 1-4, Supergirl, Superman '78 (set further in the past)

Earth-96 = Superman 1 & 2 + Returns (set closer to 2006)

There is your solution. Similar histories, different time periods/timelines.
Marc Guggenheim confirmed Superman III-IV is Earth-96 canon. Crisis references Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. It's messy but that's what we've got.

As for the thousands of years thing, was that brought up in the comics or a line of dialogue in one of the films?

IIRC you said Jor-El said it in the Fortress. He could have been referring to the slow death of Krypton and when it started to die rather than the instant it went kablooey.
He said he's been dead for many thousands of Earth years. Dialogue was in both Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns.

Last edited:
Marc Guggenheim confirmed Superman III-IV is Earth-96 canon. Crisis references Superman III, Superman IV and Superman Returns. It's messy but that's what we've got.
Is it possible that Brandon Routh's Superman went through his own version of Superman III and IV, whereas the ones we have belong to the Christopher Reeves Superman?

Is it possible that Brandon Routh's Superman went through his own version of Superman III and IV, whereas the ones we have belong to the Christopher Reeves Superman?
Nah. Guggenheim confirmed that this is specifically the Christopher Reeve Superman.

Lacy Warfield is a character that has only ever appeared in Superman IV, yet she was on the Daily Planet memorial in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

If they retcon Guggenheim, that's cool, but... yeah.

Nah. Guggenheim confirmed that this is specifically the Christopher Reeve Superman.

Lacy Warfield is a character that has only ever appeared in Superman IV, yet she was on the Daily Planet memorial in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

If they retcon Guggenheim, that's cool, but... yeah.
ah true, that does work in the broader sense, but when it comes to lining up the details its a bit more tricky, as you have found out

Teasers
Teaser Image of Darkseid
Superman_'78_teaser_-_Darkseid (1).jpg
So Darkseid is gonna show up and meet Earth-96's Superman, maybe? Damn, that sounds cool.

If he's looking for the Anti-Life Equation, that can support a 2016 placement, pre-Zack Snyder's Justice League.

Last edited:
21.7 Light-Years: Takes 5 years to get to and from Krypton.

Serveral Hundred Billion Light-Years (scientists estimate): Takes 2 years to go to and from that peace-seeking mission.

Sounds a little absurd, don't you think? Supergirl writers didn't consider the shear size of that number.

Numbers based on Supergirl, Superman '78

RCO013_1635845423.jpg
"Gotham Gazette: The Prodigal Son Returns"
"Mesterious Bat-Man Terrorizes Gotham"

Thoughts?

RCO013_1635845423.jpg
Bruce Wayne/Bat-Man (Earth-96)
Looks like Keaton...

So, according to this timeline:

Prior to 2006, Vicki Vale had encounters with "Caped Crusaders".

In 2016, Bruce Wayne returned to Gotham after being away for a while.

In 2019, Joker gasses the Daily Planet.

Seeing as he's still called "Bat-Man" (first appearance hyphen) and "terrorizes Gotham", it implies he hasn't been Batman for that long.

This implies that it should be as close to Superman Returns as possible. Maybe I will condense the timeline.

Edit: Okay. 2008 has an Olympics. Obviously it was in a different in real life, but I think it can be used as a year. Should I line up the torch lighting to be August, such as in real life? That implies a time jump that was never implied in the movie.

Oh, also the ages of characters is considerably more reasonable now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back