Superman Anthology - Timeline (Outdated)

I don't really see the need to split it into different unofficial Earths, especially to accommodate tie-in comics; we already knew just from Crisis that they were kind of putting two different continuities into one Earth based on broad strokes similarities (with an additional continuity seemingly created at the end of the event), but they seem to be holding that line so far. I think we may have a better sense of how consistent (if at all) WB and DC is going to be with the live action multiverse after The Flash movie; no need to jump the gun before then.

As it is, we still have at least one multiversal reset to explain discontinuities between the movies and comics connected to the original Superman film; I'd lean on that or theoretical unseen time travel events, or even just noting the different continuities at play before creating unofficial Earths just for the sake of the timeline.
IDK man, looks like DC and WB like this thing of destroying contuinities, i hope they to make everything clear in a near future

I don't really see the need to split it into different unofficial Earths, especially to accommodate tie-in comics; we already knew just from Crisis that they were kind of putting two different continuities into one Earth based on broad strokes similarities (with an additional continuity seemingly created at the end of the event), but they seem to be holding that line so far. I think we may have a better sense of how consistent (if at all) WB and DC is going to be with the live action multiverse after The Flash movie; no need to jump the gun before then.

As it is, we still have at least one multiversal reset to explain discontinuities between the movies and comics connected to the original Superman film; I'd lean on that or theoretical unseen time travel events, or even just noting the different continuities at play before creating unofficial Earths just for the sake of the timeline.
The only way that the Crisis ending could have changed/linked everything is if post-crisis Earth-96 Superman was much older and experienced everything in the 1970s/1980s. Otherwise, a shared continuity would be under the assumption that everything is set in present day I would assume.

I'm not legitimately making up random Earths and labeling them official. Superman Returns was supposed to be a separate using the first two films as a springboard. Crisis... kinda tried to link it all.

I used Earth-78 to make a point, I'm not saying those films are actually in that universe.

Hell, if you like, do this:
Pre-Crisis
2006 - Superman Returns: Prequel
2006 - Superman Returns
2019 - Crisis on Infinite Earths

Post-Crisis
1977 - Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut
1979 - Superman II
1980 - Superman III
1984 - Supergirl: Director's Cut
1985 - Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
1989 - Superman '78
2020 - Crisis on Infinite Earths

Or, you know. The previous version with modern day setting of all the films. That works fine, too.

Last edited:
I'm not legitimately making up random Earths and labeling them official. Superman Returns was supposed to be a separate using the first two films as a springboard. Crisis... kinda tried to link it all.

I used Earth-78 to make a point, I'm not saying those films are actually in that universe.

Hell, if you like, do this:
Pre-Crisis
2006 - Superman Returns: Prequel
2006 - Superman Returns

Post-Crisis
1979 - Superman II
1980 - Superman III
1989 - Superman '78

Or, you know. The previous version with modern day setting of all the films.
Hell, could throw The Richard Donner Cut in pre-crisis even though it doesn't make much sense. You'd have to say Superman started a relationship with Lois, impregnated her... and then made her forget they did it somehow.It doesn't have any timeline references, too. I'm... not sure.

Pre-Crisis
1968 - Superman Returns: Prequel #1
1997 - Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
2006 - Superman Returns: Prequel #2-4
2006 - Superman Returns

Note: Alternate version of Superman: The Movie with alternate dialogue, time travel and modern setting occurs. The same can most likely be said for every film.

Post-Crisis
1979 - Superman II
1980 - Superman III
1989 - Superman '78 #1-6

Can't really think of any continuity errors doing that.

Edit: with more thought, I end up at the beginning:
1. Different Earths
2. Same Earth, different timeline
3. Same timeline, modern day retcon

No matter how I do it, something isn't right.
1. Can't be different Earths, they're confirmed the same despite the fact Superman Returns was meant to be seperate.
2. Calling them different timelines is speculatory and not suggested in any media.
3. Superman Returns is "confirmed" to take place after Superman IV per Marc Guggenheim, which doesn't make sense. The prop dates and technology don't match.

I'll keep it the same for now.

I'll also put Supergirl before Superman Returns because that "serveral trillion light-years" feat is way too absurd to be true if it takes him 5 years to go 21 light-years and back. I'm going to assume that the scientists made a really bad estimate or the guy on the radio was exaggerating to get a reaction.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Their conclusion on Martha Kent is a little flawed. There's no reason why Superman Returns has to follow Superman III, especially when it was seemingly following the idea that Jason was conceived in Superman II.

But yeah. I'm pretty confident this is the best way to structure the continuity.

2000 Superman: The Movie
2001 Superman II
2001 Supergirl
2006 Superman Returns
2008 Superman III
2013 Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
2014 Superman '78 (comic book)
2019 Crisis on Infinite Earths

Supergirl fits more neatly like this than between III and IV.

Their conclusion on Martha Kent is a little flawed. There's no reason why Superman Returns has to follow Superman III, especially when it was seemingly following the idea that Jason was conceived in Superman II.

But yeah. I'm pretty confident this is the best way to structure the continuity.

2000 Superman: The Movie
2001 Superman II
2001 Supergirl
2006 Superman Returns
2008 Superman III
2013 Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
2014 Superman '78 (comic book)
2019 Crisis on Infinite Earths
I know that, about Martha Kent, I meant the Supergirl being set during the gap part.

I been a fan of these movies my whole life. Even had my own timelines I wrote in the 1990s when I was in high school. When we had much less source material to work with. My own ideas have changed back and forth over the years.

It never occurred to me to have Superman Returns after 2 with the other sequels following it. Figured easy to ignore Martha Kent's death because it was a only one line in 3 with no effect on the plot.

Thinking about it made me wonder where is Jason White if Returns happens before 3 and 4? I had an interesting thought - it's a stretch but hear me out. What if "Jeremy" in Quest for Peace is Jason White. Obviously you need to ignore certain details. But we know so little about the character. It actually adds to the story. Presumably "Jeremy" still does not know who his father is. Lois is the one who presents the letter to Clark at the Daily Planet. He sits with her at the United Nations.

Maybe he was given new identity to protect him after what happens in Returns. But still feels a connection to Superman he does not know what it means yet.

In terms of Superman 3 we see so of Lois it's easy to imagine any scenario of what her personal life is like at the time.

Cool head-canon, never considered that. That'd make Jason 11 years old.

Nope. More than likely an inaccurate year, just like a lot of them that say 2005 instead of 2006.

No. Lo más probable es que sea un año inexacto, como muchos de ellos que dicen 2005 en lugar de 2006.
No es unIt is not an inaccurate year.There are only 5 newspapers in the movie as props . The first one says that Lex was arrested in 1997, the second one is the one I sent that says Superman left in 2000 and then there's the one about him coming back in September 2006 and the remaining two are "SUPERMAN LIVES" "SUPERMAN DEAD" There are no more newspapers in the whole movie, the timeline works with those 5 .

It was a five year journey from 2001 to 2006, and the tie-in comic narrows down the timeline further. Trust me on this one. The comic shows the origin of these newspapers and it has to be 2006.

Fue un viaje de cinco años desde 2001 hasta 2006, y el cómic relacionado reduce aún más la línea de tiempo. Confía en mí esta vez. El cómic muestra el origen de estos periódicos y tiene que ser 2006.
No. No estoy seguro, durante la película y el cómic de la precuela dicen que nadie ha visto a Superman en 5 años.
SSuperman II se llevaría a cabo entre enero y febrero de 2000, On March 1st they discover the remains of krypton and Superman leaves. The days go by and on March 3 they publish the newspaper that I sent. 2000 would not count as a year without Superman since he was present during January and February.2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 would be the 5 years without Superman, 2000 counts it because in that year Superman was present and in the movie and comic they say that they are 5 years without Superman, no It wouldn't make sense to count 2000 since that year he did have Superman present for a few months.In September 2006 Superman would return so 2006 is discarded as the sixth year without Superman. Well, at least I interpreted it that way so that this newspaper can make sense, but if you think it's 2001 no problem.

O vas con 2000-2005 o 2001-2006.
dI'm sorry, I think you misunderstood me.2000 does not count as a year without Superman even if he is gone this year, the count starts from 2001 to 2005, those are the 5 years without Superman, in 2006 it was going to be the sixth year but this return, 2000 - 2006

I just treat Superman Returns as an elseworlds story that shares the bare basic events of the two Donner films in its history, but closer to the present day.
Trying to treat both Reeve and Routh as the same exact Superman/ universe is just messy and unnecessary. Fuck Guggenheim

The CW Kingdom Come Superman doesn't really feel like the same universe as Returns either. An Elseworlds of an Elseworlds, just like the CW's Earth-89 is in relation to the actual universe the Burton Batman films took place.

I wouldn't place Superman Returns in this timeline at all. It screws with the canon way too much. I'd just keep it like this;

Superman
Superman II
Superman '78 #1, "Brainiac: Chapter One"
Superman '78 #2, "Brainiac: Chapter Two"
Superman '78 #3, "Brainiac: Chapter Three"
Superman '78 #4, "Brainiac: Chapter Four"
Superman '78 #5, "Brainiac: Chapter Five"
Superman '78 #6, "Brainiac: Chapter Six"
Superman III
Supergirl
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

I don't consider extended cuts canon. With the upcoming 4k Superman set, it appears the theatrical cuts are the only ones being remastered (with the exception of the Donner Cut, which I'd consider non canon anyway). Keep Superman Returns and it's prequel comics on Earth-96.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back