The Death of Superman Lives... What Happened?

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
This is a fascinating and hilarious documentary focusing on the failed Superman Lives film directed by Tim Burton and starring Nicolas Cage.

cage-114100.jpg

It's worth watching alone for Kevin Smith's commentary on the scriptwriting process, not to mention serves as a great reminder of just how clueless some Hollywood producers can be.

Highly recommend checking it out, both for a laugh and as a cautionary tale. ;)

There's also a video of Kevin Smith talking about this on youtube, for those that don't want to go to the hassle of tracking down this movie. It's just as funny as his parts in the movie.

I watched this. Although those involved make a good case that the movie wouldn't have been the absolute disaster that it looks like from the outside, ultimately I think fans really dodged a bullet with this one. I just can't see it ending up very good, especially considering some of the bizarre decisions that were being made.

I guess some good came out of Batman and Robin after all

There's also a video of Kevin Smith talking about this on youtube, for those that don't want to go to the hassle of tracking down this movie. It's just as funny as his parts in the movie.

Is that the one where he talks about the giant mechanical spider that ended up being in
Wild Wild West
?

If so, yes. It was hilarious!

There was a better picture that came out a few days ago of the costume. The ones that have been circulating the last few years all look like pictures of pictures.

Can someone link to the documentary (assuming it's on YouTube)?

Is that the one where he talks about the giant mechanical spider that ended up being in
Wild Wild West
?

If so, yes. It was hilarious!

Lol, yup.

Apparently Jon Peters is the stereotypical clueless producer. Watching that guy stumble through portions of the interview and try to push off the bad ideas he pitched was pretty hilarious.

There was a better picture that came out a few days ago of the costume. The ones that have been circulating the last few years all look like pictures of pictures.

Can someone link to the documentary (assuming it's on YouTube)?

Sent you a PM.

You really need to see this, though.

You'll laugh.

You'll cry.

You'll probably strain your eye socket muscles from the large amount of involuntary eye-rolling at the stream of bad ideas that largely originated with Jon Peters.

It's definitely worth a watch, especially in light of Marvel's success with their formula, and as an examination of how clueless some of the folks in Hollywood can be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back