Too many Marvel films?

Well, at least Favreu is doing the right thing on how he's handling for the Iron Man movie.

Agreed. While he might not have been an originall fan---I'm sure he's got a huge collection of Iron Man stories that he's gotta read. And on top of the back research---he's soliciting fans for help.

THAT is good work. Credible director, credible actors, credible writers, and fan input/help. Iron Man should be spectacularly solid.

I think the other problem is that Marvel is going for whatever directors they can grab. And what's sad is that these directors have no passion for the material (example---Ratner).

That's what hurts the films. You don't need to be an expert....just passionate. When the director doesn't have a passion for the project---it suffers. Because then you don't have that connection like you do in the comics. A director reads that Elektra is a sexy ninja.....and that's the route he takes. He doesn't bother with the internal struggle she goes thru between what she wants and what she feels she must do. Blah blah blah.......

I read an article from the F4 director saying that he grew up reading the book and since there was so much history with the group that he wanted to follow the UFF storyline to introduce people to the characters and origins. Where was the UFF? Instead the fans get hype....not substance.

Quality....not quanity.
Bingo.

I mean seriously---Ghost Rider over Capt America? Elektra over a Nick Fury/S.H.I.E.L.D? Ant-Man instead of Thor? And ****ing Deathlok over anybody else? I mean WTF?
cap, thor, and nick are all getting there own movies and they should be great

cap's movie could end up really good or horrendous because its could end up being so heavy handed and patriotic alot of people won't like it, but if they play the character right it could be awesome

thor could be REALLY good if they have it mostly in asgard and develope his rivalry with loki right (the asgard levels in MUA did this very well)

nick fury could end up being better than james bond, if they play it right, fury is definatly going to get his movie, but the question still lingers do they go black or white?

i can see ant-man being a spoof super-hero movie something like his comic book if not it will get tossed out

deathlok will get scrapped (hehe pun) he cant support a movie in the least sense

namor really should have been the villain for FF2 it makes way more sense than jumping straight to the silver surfer

magneto sounds interesting, while wolverine sounds like garbage

the rumoured other movies (luke cage, iron fist, cloak & dagger, power pack, etc.) will probably never see the light of day

i would definatley support a DEADPOOL movie we need to get the word to the streets about this idea!

NEXTWAVE should get a cartoon show

The only movies I'm looking forward to (that I'm aware of, and not counting Spider-Man 3) are Captain America (awesome if done correctly) Iron Man (see previous) and Ant-Man (Edgar Wright as director and the idea makes me laugh).

The others make no sense. Particularly Deathlok.

Personally? I think the problem is that so many of them just plain suck. Simple as that.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
err wait took the keystrokes right out of my hands
err took the.......nevermind you get it

this is a little bit off topic, but lets take a look at the movies out there today over the last 5-7 years that have been based off of Comic Books. to understand movies on the market by Marvel we must first understand what is out there, and how much each movie has made in millions in the United States.

Marvel:
X-men 1[160],2[215],3 [235]
Spiderman 1[403],2[373],3[TBR]
Blade, 1[70], 2[81], 3 [52]
Hulk [132]
DD [102]
Elektra [24] (didn't know it was that bad)
FF [154]
Punisher [33]
Ghost Rider (TBR)

DC:
Batman Begins [205]
Supman Returns[200]
Catwomen [40]

Vertigo:
History of Violence[31]
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (published by the ABC imprint)[66]
V for Vendtta [70]
The Fountain (numbers not in)
Constantine [75]
Watchman (in production)

Image:
Spawn (still one of the best out there) [55]

DH:
Sin City 1, (2 is in production) [74]
Hell boy [59]

so is marvel making too many movies?, naw there just not making any good ones there just making cash cows.
DC is getting the more quality films out there with the Vertigo line, but there not racking in the money.

lets break it down even further marvel has made over 2 billion. yes, over 2 BILLION dollars in U.S. alone.

DC has made just under 687 million dollars....

with those type of numbers will marvel stop making movies? NO.

Last edited:
so is marvel making too many movies?, naw there just not making any good ones there just making cash cows.

I wouldn't say not making any good ones. Some crappy ones without a doubt. However I wouldn't call them all crappy.

you can NEVER have too many Marvel films!!!!

They'll have only made too many, when they start making movies out of really crappy characters because everyone else is taken.

I don't think Marvel should stop making movies, I just think they should concentrate their creative efforts and use studio budgets to put the major franchises on screen before they start messing around with the likes of Ant-Man, Moon Knight, Deathlok and others of the sort.

X-Men and Spider-Man have been huge films because the characters are well known and the respective casts and crews have been top-notch. Other films like Fantastic Four and The Hulk were enjoyable, but compared to the X-Movies and Spider-Man films, not all that great. Daredevil sucked, mostly because of Ben Affleck's lack of acting skills or ability to portray emotion with his one expression that he uses for every situation in every film he's been a part of. Punisher was good, in my opinion, just not very well marketed and yeah, it could've been better. Blade, as a franchise, managed to do pretty well despite the relative obscurity of the character to a non-comic book reading audience (vampire movies usually do well on their own).

I think Marvel should put more efforts into making high quality Iron Man and Captain America films before they even start to work on projects like Ant-Man and Moon Knight. A better option for those smaller characters is to build an audience for them in animated films and then consider a future for them in live-action projects.

I have no problem with Marvel making more movies as long as Avengers isn't murdered. Hopefully they'll be smart and tie in Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Ant-Man to make a great Avengers movie.

Daredevil sucked, mostly because of Ben Affleck's lack of acting skills or ability to portray emotion with his one expression that he uses for every situation in every film he's been a part of.
I would say it sucked because of the way the theatrical version was arranged. The director's cut is so much better it's sad.

Wait, there's a Moon Knight movie now? Jeez. He has his own movie, own TV series, and solo comic. Why is Marvel pushing this character so much all of a sudden? I don't see what makes him so interesting. :x Then again, I know hardly anything about him.

I agree with everyone else. Less movies about characters unknown to the general public, more about characters that people at least have a general acknowledgement of.

I agree with everyone else. Less movies about characters unknown to the general public, more about characters that people at least have a general acknowledgement of.
I beg to differ from the consensus.

Certain concepts -- indeed, like Ant-Man, Deathlok, and Moon Knight -- might translate better into film, compared to characters with more popular comics.

Case in point: Punisher tanked; Blade was an initial box-office success. Arguably, the latter was a lesser-known comic character (and his titles still continute to have lackluster sales).

Not every casual viewer who watches a "movie based on a comic book" is watching it because it's a "comic book movie". Certain characters and concepts may well be able to take on a life of their own, beyond their reputation as comic characters.

Last edited:
Not every casual viewer who watches a "movie based on a comic book" is watching it because it's a "comic book movie". Certain characters and concepts may well be able to take on a life of their own, beyond their reputation as comic characters.
Exactly. The fact that no one recognizes these characters actually may allow directors to take more liberties with the property to allow them to take the life of their own you say they do. For many people, Blade was first and foremost, a Wesley Snipes vehicle of bad-assery featuring a gun-toting sword-slinging vampire hunter and nothing else --- you couldn't see past Wesley Snipes trading in his stock tough guy act, but it worked.

If the series were actually a name brand, it could easily have been some weird kitschy 70s horror schlock that was being excessively reverential to the source material for reasons beyond the understanding of a casual viewer, which IMO is exactly what happened to the third X-Men film.

Then again, if Wesley Snipes just wanted to be a badass vampire hunter, he couldve been one without buying the Blade rights.

That being said, the movies really improved/streamlined the character so well that it's the movie version that appears in the comics now while the comic version has shuffled out to some bizarre limbo.

i dont mind them chucking out adaptations of lesser characters... but I am honestly glad that they've held back on some of their big characters.

The Iron Man movie could have come out a few years back, and it probably would have been ****, now Marvel has complete editorial control over the film and the character.

Captain America is the biggest one that they simply cannot **** up. the Cap movie needs to be epic and rooted in WWII and accessable to both hardcore lefties and neoconservatives. Captain America needs to be perfect and recreate the icon for the next generation.

And he needs a motorcycle helmet and a clear plastic shield.

Lest anyone forget the 70's TV movies.

Oh, and Red Skull needs to be Italian.

Then again, if Wesley Snipes just wanted to be a badass vampire hunter, he couldve been one without buying the Blade rights.
Well yes, he could have, but the point I'm trying to make (supplementary to compound's own point) is that people don't need to be told a movie has been adapted from 'iconic legendary OMG source material' to decide to see it.

What i'm saying is that there're a lot of people who went to see Blade for the bad-assness that was promised by the trailers and Wesley Snipes' sheer involvement, regardless of whatever the hell the filmmakers' intentions were.

And truth be told, that's a much better box-office pull than being told how *beloved* and *iconic* a property is, or whether the social issues a film addresses is *important*.

Latest posts

Back