Tropic Thunder, or, that movie where Robert Downey Jr. is black.

two words

"friggen brilliant"

I generally don't like Stiller, but seriously, I couldn't stop laughing, my girlfriends and I are going to see it again, cus we missed, a LOT cus we were laughing too hard.

It's nice to see Tom Cruise not surrounded by all the Scientology/Katie Holmes bull and just....having fun with this movie.

Okay, so this film is very entertaining, but a thought occurred to me:

Robert Downey Jr is an actor who's revered for being a character actor and he plays the comic exaggeration of such an actor.

Jack Black is a comedy actor who's known for playing the stupid fat guy in comedies and he plays the comic exaggeration of such an actor.

Ben Stiller is a comedy actor who's known for playing insecure losers and mock action heroes and he's playing the comic exaggeration of an action movie actor.

In other words; Ben Stiller is the only one not taking the piss out of himself.

He's miscast. He just does his Mister Furious shtick again. They should've got a proper action hero to play the Speedman role. In fact, would it have been cool if the actors had player themselves (just exaggerated)? So instead of Kirk Lazarus, it's Robert Downey Jr as Robert Downey Jr.

With that thought, as much as I LOVE RDJ in this (he's the reason I went to see this movie), I couldn't help but think it would've been awesome to have Daniel Day-Lewis play the part.

So, if I were to dreamcast Tropic Thunder, I'd have Daniel Day-Lewis instead of Downey Jr. But I can't think who to have instead of Jack Black. Rob Schneider? Martin Lawrence? Mike Meyers? Who would be the ideal 'crap comic actor'? Ben Stiller? And who's the action movie star to replace Stiller? Vin Diesel? Bruce Willis? Sylvester Stallone?

Who would you get?

Okay, so this film is very entertaining, but a thought occurred to me:

Robert Downey Jr is an actor who's revered for being a character actor and he plays the comic exaggeration of such an actor.

Jack Black is a comedy actor who's known for playing the stupid fat guy in comedies and he plays the comic exaggeration of such an actor.

Ben Stiller is a comedy actor who's known for playing insecure losers and mock action heroes and he's playing the comic exaggeration of an action movie actor.

In other words; Ben Stiller is the only one not taking the piss out of himself.

He's miscast. He just does his Mister Furious shtick again. They should've got a proper action hero to play the Speedman role. In fact, would it have been cool if the actors had player themselves (just exaggerated)? So instead of Kirk Lazarus, it's Robert Downey Jr as Robert Downey Jr.

With that thought, as much as I LOVE RDJ in this (he's the reason I went to see this movie), I couldn't help but think it would've been awesome to have Daniel Day-Lewis play the part.

So, if I were to dreamcast Tropic Thunder, I'd have Daniel Day-Lewis instead of Downey Jr. But I can't think who to have instead of Jack Black. Rob Schneider? Martin Lawrence? Mike Meyers? Who would be the ideal 'crap comic actor'? Ben Stiller? And who's the action movie star to replace Stiller? Vin Diesel? Bruce Willis? Sylvester Stallone?

Who would you get?

As good of an actor he is, I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is capable of playing a comedic role. At all.

Actually, most of his roles can be easily mocked, so I can see how him playing an exaggerated version of himself would make sense. But he can't play an exaggerated version of himself, because hisself is already exaggerated to the point of self-combustion. He can't exaggerate any further. His roles are so exaggerated that they exceed human level. Each time he takes on a role, he becomes that role, he doesn't become emmersed in the role, he doesn't "get to know" that role, he becomes that role down to matching genetic structures and thoughts and existence....His birthdate is changed each time he takes on a new role, his biological parents are changed, everything changes, because time and space allow it to change. It allows it to happen. Each time he takes a new role, the previous one is written out of existence. What previous role? If he possibly exaggerated any further, he would spontaneously combust and create a universal vaccum of anti-matter.

I'm fine with RDJ.

As for Vin, Bruce, and Sly, I would hate to see their careers reduced to "starring in a comedy movie just for a paycheck."

Last edited:
I finally saw this today and loved it. Once again I found myself hating Jack Black as once again he couldn't act he was EXACTLY like his other films just making more drug comments :roll: but besides that the rest of the cast were great.

I couldn't stop laughing at parts of it e.g
When Ben stiller's character killed the panda and screamed "noooooo" after seeing it's face
or
Again Ben stiller's character when he ate out of the head and booted it like a football and the guys watching said "they have no fear of death!"
and of course
Mtv awards winner for best kiss Tobey" Maguire
When Lyn saw that mini-mock trailer she turned to me and said "I bet you there is a load of Spider-man/Iron man slash videos on youtube using some of that" I haven't dared look :lol:

Overall 3/5 would be higher but Jack Black really brought the film down for me.

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It was hilarious and I loved the concept of the whole movie. And the trailers at the beginning were awesome.

Actually, most of his roles can be easily mocked, so I can see how him playing an exaggerated version of himself would make sense. But he can't play an exaggerated version of himself, because hisself is already exaggerated to the point of self-combustion. He can't exaggerate any further. His roles are so exaggerated that they exceed human level. Each time he takes on a role, he becomes that role, he doesn't become emmersed in the role, he doesn't "get to know" that role, he becomes that role down to matching genetic structures and thoughts and existence....His birthdate is changed each time he takes on a new role, his biological parents are changed, everything changes, because time and space allow it to change. It allows it to happen. Each time he takes a new role, the previous one is written out of existence. What previous role? If he possibly exaggerated any further, he would spontaneously combust and create a universal vaccum of anti-matter.
O.O

*spontaneously combusts in a vacuum of anti-matter*

As good of an actor he is, I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is capable of playing a comedic role. At all.

I'm fine with RDJ.

As for Vin, Bruce, and Sly, I would hate to see their careers reduced to "starring in a comedy movie just for a paycheck."

I-I-I-I-I-I....

*explodes*

It wouldn't be that, it would be doing a movie for fun, getting to joke about themselves.

And Bruce Willis HAS done comedies before, and has been good in them... Honestly... Imagining Bruce Willis in that role now is kind of amazing.

Disagree about DDL, though.

Latest posts

Back