Ultimate Doctor Otto Octavius

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Is this the right place for it?

Ok, well in issue #75 we see what's called "Mini Oscorp" where all of the things Norman was working on was kept in a secret bunker undetectable by SHIELD. One of the most interesting Easter Eggs was Doc Ock's tentacles. Now this would easily lead up to a return of one of Ultimate Spider-Man's greatest villains... but how would the doctor have the same mental connection to these arms that he had with his original ones?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, well in issue #75 we see what's called "Mini Oscorp" where all of the things Norman was working on was kept in a secret bunker undetectable by SHIELD. One of the most interesting Easter Eggs was Doc Ock's tentacles. Now this would easily lead up to a return of one of Ultimate Spider-Man's greatest villains... but how would the doctor have the same mental connection to these arms that he had with his original ones?
I'm not too keen on the idea, honestly, but I can ABSOLUTELY see how it'd work. :D

Ock's minor telepathic link with his tentacles is the core principle behind his power, and I wouldn't be surprised that that telepathic link isn't really some sort of psychic bond between him and the tentacles, but rather an ability to communicate with the particular electronic configuration that controls the tentacle device.

It's like he's got Ex Machina's Mitchell Hundred's ability to talk to complex machines but its limited only to that particular device. Which means that Ock could use just about any tentacle device he wanted. And that also leads to a scary idea of him controlling multiple tentacle devices at once. :: shudder ::

ourchair said:
I'm not too keen on the idea, honestly, but I can ABSOLUTELY see how it'd work. :D

Ock's minor telepathic link with his tentacles is the core principle behind his power, and I wouldn't be surprised that that telepathic link isn't really some sort of psychic bond between him and the tentacles, but rather an ability to communicate with the particular electronic configuration that controls the tentacle device.

It's like he's got Ex Machina's Mitchell Hundred's ability to talk to complex machines but its limited only to that particular device. Which means that Ock could use just about any tentacle device he wanted. And that also leads to a scary idea of him controlling multiple tentacle devices at once. :: shudder ::

I see what you're saying and I understand it but I just don't like it. Really the things were on him and they fused to him and became one with him.... these other tentacles really have nothing to do with Doc Ock and saying that he can talk to any tentacle like device just seems lame to me.

I'm with MwoF - I'd like it to be a lot less technical and more mysterious. Sure, he could use the tentacles, but he wouldn't have the same bond with them initially that he would with the original set.

TheManWithoutFear said:
It's gonna be really tough getting him back now, even with these tentacles popping up. The character might as well be dead.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't really mind that the character isn't becoming the "staple" villain popping up every time a filler arc is needed. The stories with Ock were decent enough in my opinion, the ending was fairly final and I thought it was good. But you are right, it did sort of lock up the character.

Caduceus said:
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't really mind that the character isn't becoming the "staple" villain popping up every time a filler arc is needed. The stories with Ock were decent enough in my opinion, the ending was fairly final and I thought it was good. But you are right, it did sort of lock up the character.

Correct and what I always say. It's better to have characters come to and end eventually and move the story forward.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I see what you're saying and I understand it but I just don't like it. Really the things were on him and they fused to him and became one with him.... these other tentacles really have nothing to do with Doc Ock and saying that he can talk to any tentacle like device just seems lame to me.
True, I'm not too sold on the idea, either. But I didn't want to disagree with you without being able to further the discussion productively at all. :D

The whole telepathic with tentacles bit is probably more in line with the 616 version of Ock, anyway. :D

Latest posts

Back