Ultimate Legacy Virus (Spoilers)

icemastertron said:
The only problem I see with this is why would S.H.I.E.L.D. want to stop the mutant gene? That would be basically them murdering.

No by stopping the gene that doesn't mean killing them. Read the post, Ice. The Legacy Virus is an accident that spawns from their attempts to stop the x-gene once and for all. We know that if they had the chance to turn everyone into homo-sapiens, they would.

Ok, a tad off-topic but related somehow. I noticed that you said mastermind died due to the legacy Virus, now could someone please explain how he regained his existense after Pheonix seeminly transceded him in I tihnk X-Men # 135. That would be helpful. Wow, amazing what you miss when most of what you read is from the 80's and before

Ultxon said:
Ok, a tad off-topic but related somehow. I noticed that you said mastermind died due to the legacy Virus, now could someone please explain how he regained his existense after Pheonix seeminly transceded him in I tihnk X-Men # 135. That would be helpful. Wow, amazing what you miss when most of what you read is from the 80's and before

Mastermind 1, Jason Wyngarde, was working with the Inner Circle of the Hellfire club to interfere with Phoenix. Unknowingly, he helped in the creation of Dark Phoenix and, Phoenix punished him by rendering him comatose by overloading his sensory input by making him one with the universe for a brief instand. He was still alive, just comatose. He recovered at some point, I believe (but am not certain) and was out and about, contracting the Legacy virus. He died in Uncanny X-men Annual #17

As for the Ultimate Legacy Virus, the story has an absolutely phenomenal potential that was never realised (with the exception of Colossus' death) in 616. An Ultimate Legacy virus would need a good bit of tweaking but is certainly workable, however its just too hefty a storyline to start so early. It needs to continue on and on for a good while, rather than a single arc. It also requires a fairly hefty cast, which UXM does have. It shouldn't be combined to the other titles. The threat of mutants taking everyone with them should have the Think Tank (FF) working on a cure, as well as SHIELD. The Ultimates would be involved in surpressing the outbreaks of mutant violence, as would the X-men. The only one who might not be majorly affected is Spidey and there is good potential for character developement for Liz Allen and a number of other characters there.

Caduceus said:
As for the Ultimate Legacy Virus, the story has an absolutely phenomenal potential that was never realised (with the exception of Colossus' death) in 616. An Ultimate Legacy virus would need a good bit of tweaking but is certainly workable, however its just too hefty a storyline to start so early. It needs to continue on and on for a good while, rather than a single arc. It also requires a fairly hefty cast, which UXM does have. It shouldn't be combined to the other titles. The threat of mutants taking everyone with them should have the Think Tank (FF) working on a cure, as well as SHIELD. The Ultimates would be involved in surpressing the outbreaks of mutant violence, as would the X-men. The only one who might not be majorly affected is Spidey and there is good potential for character developement for Liz Allen and a number of other characters there.

Good thoughts there Caddy. :twisted:

Caduceus said:

I don't think that it should be a long continuous storyline as that was one of the problems I saw with 616. It lasted forever and was going nowhere.

I do like the idea of an ultimate crossover dealing with the Legacy Virus. Having the Wasp and QS on the Ultimates get infected along with a couple X-Men as its a race against time to find the culprit and find the cure. Starring the Ultimates and X-Men, and featuring Reed Richards (since the rest of the FF aren't really affected by this). As the arc goes on, SW and the rest of the X-Men show signs of illness. I don't see this being a bad thing.

IcyFlames said:
I don't think that it should be a long continuous storyline as that was one of the problems I saw with 616. It lasted forever and was going nowhere.

I do like the idea of an ultimate crossover dealing with the Legacy Virus. Having the Wasp and QS on the Ultimates get infected along with a couple X-Men as its a race against time to find the culprit and find the cure. Starring the Ultimates and X-Men, and featuring Reed Richards (since the rest of the FF aren't really affected by this). As the arc goes on, SW and the rest of the X-Men show signs of illness. I don't see this being a bad thing.

Sorry Icy, I'm glad you actually want the LV to happen, but I don't want to see everyone get infected and then it's a race to find a cure. The fact that it actually takes some big names down would make it a much more interesting story. Someone at comixfan compared it to the aids epidemic and how when people complain about how "drawn out" it was in the 616 that it's just ridiculous. Sorry guys but AIDS and other diseases don't have this dramatic theme of there's always a cure to find and then everyone lives happily everafter. I'm speaking personally, My TWIN brother has a very serious disease and I wake up every morning and have to deal with the fact that his lifespan is cut shorter than mine because of it. I'd rather see it introduced and at first spread like wildfire and then someone could find a vaccine that might slow it down, but not a cure.

IcyFlames said:

I think what you've proposed is good but the problem without the drawn out story line is that, as MWOF pointed out, it lacks realism. In 616, it was drawn out but no-one really important got infected except Illyana Rasputin and Moira McTaggert. With the smaller mutant population of the UU, it would have to infect people more "important" and make it a more interesting storyline. The people you mentioned on the Ultimates are good but it doesn't need to be jammed into a short storyline.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Sorry Icy, I'm glad you actually want the LV to happen, but I don't want to see everyone get infected and then it's a race to find a cure. The fact that it actually takes some big names down would make it a much more interesting story. Someone at comixfan compared it to the aids epidemic and how when people complain about how "drawn out" it was in the 616 that it's just ridiculous. Sorry guys but AIDS and other diseases don't have this dramatic theme of there's always a cure to find and then everyone lives happily everafter. I'm speaking personally, My TWIN brother has a very serious disease and I wake up every morning and have to deal with the fact that his lifespan is cut shorter than mine because of it. I'd rather see it introduced and at first spread like wildfire and then someone could find a vaccine that might slow it down, but not a cure.

Exactly.

One feature of the 616 Legacy virus was that it amped up peoples powers the more it advanced. Would this be a good thing in the UU?

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't think... I'm not really a fan of amped up powers and second mutations and stuff like that.

To me this was one of the most interesting facets of the story. As the disease progressed, the character became more powerful but weaker. Take Revanche, who was still not sure she wasn't Psylocke. She used her amped up powers t see through the implanted memories and confronted her past with Matsu'o She wasn't suddenly a hugely powerful character but her power evolved enough to develope her character and resolve her character.

All I can think of is that Chris Rock skit:

"They ain't never curing AIDS... they're still mad on all the money they lost out on polio!"

TheManWithoutFear said:
Some of the other boards are having fun with this I guess.

The question is name three X-Characters that would make the legacy virus more interesting...

Do you mean who would be made more interesting by getting the Virus or do you mean something else?

Well, I don't see the point. Really, Tony Stark with a tumor doesn't seem to change his character any and, though I'll most likely be proved wrong by the Ultimate Iron Man thing, I don't think it really would effect any character unless they are on the verge of death... Who knows. I'm with MwoF, here.

Goodwill said:
Well, I don't see the point. Really, Tony Stark with a tumor doesn't seem to change his character any and, though I'll most likely be proved wrong by the Ultimate Iron Man thing, I don't think it really would effect any character unless they are on the verge of death... Who knows.
Starting with this and..

Goodwill said:
I'm with MwoF, here.
ending with this doesn't make sense. MWOF asked the question and is pretty much for the Ultimate Legacy Virus. You don't see the point and didn't answer the question he asked. How can you agree with him??

I'm confused?

Anyway my three

Cyclops/Alex - One of them infected would make a good story and we could delve into their relationship more. Yes, I am willing to sacrifice my favorite X-Man (Cyclops).

Wolverine - His healing factor would never let him die.

Dazzler - She hides behind her attitude. This would help show her true colors. If a younger member was infected that would of course make for a good story too.

Latest posts

Back