Ultimate Magneto Question

I think you're all missing something. The argument here is that Magneto in the Ultimate Universe lacks depth, and is portrayed as a 2 dimensional villian with no purpose but to fight the X-Men. I say thats poppycock. Magneto is an extremist, yes, but his beliefs are routed in the most primal of human emotions. Fear. He strikes out at humans, preaching about the supiriority of mutants not just because of a conviction that his chosen people can do a better job of runing the world, but because he fears that if left unopposed Humanity will do to him just what he is trying to do to them. He's striking out in defense, before a blow has ever been thrown. His drive is for survival of his species, not for the extinction of our own. Is he a bad person? Defifnatly. Does he do horrific things in the name of his beliefs? Hell yes. Does he have no depth? Nope, Mags is doing everything he does for a reason, and its not just what you see on the surface.

Baxter said:
I think you're all missing something. The argument here is that Magneto in the Ultimate Universe lacks depth, and is portrayed as a 2 dimensional villian with no purpose but to fight the X-Men. I say thats poppycock. Magneto is an extremist, yes, but his beliefs are routed in the most primal of human emotions. Fear. He strikes out at humans, preaching about the supiriority of mutants not just because of a conviction that his chosen people can do a better job of runing the world, but because he fears that if left unopposed Humanity will do to him just what he is trying to do to them. He's striking out in defense, before a blow has ever been thrown. His drive is for survival of his species, not for the extinction of our own. Is he a bad person? Defifnatly. Does he do horrific things in the name of his beliefs? Hell yes. Does he have no depth? Nope, Mags is doing everything he does for a reason, and its not just what you see on the surface.
That's exactly what I was arguing for, although I didn't get into the fear as a driving motivation simply because I understood that that was implicit: If Magneto believes in the survival of the fittest then that means that he is driven by the fear that if he and his kind do not assert their will and dominion over humanity, then humanity will do it back at them.

Baxter said:

Well put. For that you get a :rockon:.

I guess I see what you're saying, but he wasn't smart about what he did. He could have done so much more in a slower pace, but he wanted to take the meglomaniac approach both times that we've seen him do something diabolical.

Goodwill said:
I guess I see what you're saying, but he wasn't smart about what he did. He could have done so much more in a slower pace, but he wanted to take the meglomaniac approach both times that we've seen him do something diabolical.
Well, the movie version Magneto goes all megalomaniacal all the time. He has no room for subtlety, and that doesn't seem to affect the integrity of his character, so why should similar behavior make Ultimate Magneto any less credible?

I don't know, I think you guys are trying to give him the depth that he never had. There was no depth in anyone when Millar was on UXM.

Latest posts

Back