Ultimate Marvel Timeline / Chronology (v 5.0)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
I'm updating the TPB time line and was using yours plus my notes to line things up...you have the entire Ultimate Iron Man I and II happening after Ultimatum in the Ultimate Comics Era yet still have references happening in the pre-Ultimatum timeline. Just curious if there might need to be some tweaking of the timeline for that...Thanks again for this resource!

Yup, I just overlooked that when I altered the placement for Ultimate Iron Man (Vol. 1 and 2). As far as the Ultimate timeline is concerned, per Millar's Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates #2, Card's Ultimate Iron Man minis are now looked at as a television show within the Ultimate universe which fictionalized (to a ridiculous degree) Tony Stark's childhood (just to be clear for anyone who hasn't read it and is wondering about the placement).

Its fixed now, thanks for pointing that out. :)


Also, I'll be updating again in January, once the holidays are over and I have some time to sit down and read the Ultimate releases from October-January and place them appropriately on the timeline.
 

Mattimeo84

Well-Known Member
That's what I thought, I had reflected that in mine based on the comics and the discussion on this board, just glad to help.
 

wyokid

Well-Known Member
DIrishB said:
Yup, I just overlooked that when I altered the placement for Ultimate Iron Man (Vol. 1 and 2). As far as the Ultimate timeline is concerned, per Millar's Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates #2, Card's Ultimate Iron Man minis are now looked at as a television show within the Ultimate universe which fictionalized (to a ridiculous degree) Tony Stark's childhood (just to be clear for anyone who hasn't read it and is wondering about the placement).

Its fixed now, thanks for pointing that out. :)

Also, I'll be updating again in January, once the holidays are over and I have some time to sit down and read the Ultimate releases from October-January and place them appropriately on the timeline.

Such a d-ck move on Millar's part. His whole return was just a giant middle finger IMO.
 
Last edited:

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Such a d-ck move on Millar's part. His whole return was just a giant middle finger IMO.

That or fan-service. Cards Ultimate Iron Man minis didn't suck, but they altered and unnecessarily changed the character in ways no one really liked. I'm glad Millard did this, and honestly felt it was the one redeemable part of his Ult Avengers run. To each their own.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Only now Iron Man has no origin. The origin in UMTU also got retconned.

I know. Normally that might bother me, but again, no origin story in my opinion is a preferable alternative to Cards pointless and downright stupid changes to the Tony Stark character. Nano-monkeys are no bueno, my friend.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before another writer takes a stab at an Ult IM origin story... If I had to guess, I'd expect it sometime around Iron Man 3's theatrical release in 2013.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Another long overdue update is now complete! Updated for all recent Ultimate Comics releases, through Ultimate Comics Ultimates #6, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #6, Ultimate Comics X-Men #6, and Ultimate Comics Hawkeye #4.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Is this still being updated?

It will be eventually. I'd kind of taken an "update it every 3 months or so" approach to the timeline for the past couple years. I've been focusing more on the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline lately, though by no means am I done updating this.

I also just recently lost my job (so can't afford to spend money on comics, real or digital--except for those first few issues of the Valiant relaunch, couldn't resist), and don't have regular access to the internet other than through my iPhone (so DL them for free isn't possible either). I'm currently job-hunting now and once I have some money in my pocket again and the time, patience, and motivation to update it, I'll tackle this again.

It will be a few months at least, though. :(
 
Last edited:

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Long overdue update is now complete, big thanks to Mattimeo84 for helping out.

I'll try to keep the updates coming regularly over the summer for the Divided We Fall crossover, and hopefully from there on out (especially now that the Marvel Cinematic Timeline is up to date through next year until Iron Man 3).

Enjoy, and let me know if you see anything that should be fixed.
 

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
wyokid said:
Only now Iron Man has no origin. The origin in UMTU also got retconned.

DIrishB said:
I know. Normally that might bother me, but again, no origin story in my opinion is a preferable alternative to Cards pointless and downright stupid changes to the Tony Stark character. Nano-monkeys are no bueno, my friend.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before another writer takes a stab at an Ult IM origin story... If I had to guess, I'd expect it sometime around Iron Man 3's theatrical release in 2013.

when did this happen? I know Card's Ultimate Iron Man minis got retconned, but when did the origin from UMTU?


Anyway, as always, I'm impressed. Although at this point, I'm just glad I can ignore most of the continuity and remember the stuff I liked!
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Captain Canuck said:
when did this happen? I know Card's Ultimate Iron Man minis got retconned, but when did the origin from UMTU?

Anyway, as always, I'm impressed. Although at this point, I'm just glad I can ignore most of the continuity and remember the stuff I liked!

Well, technically the Ult Iron Man minis retconned the UMTU origin, though with UIM minis now being retconned I guess you could either accept the UMTU origin or not, so it's kind of up in the air.
 

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
I would say its back in. The only real monkey wrench in this is that the whole-body brain was a big part of the plot in Ultimate Human.
 

JBeard

Member
Nice to see it updated :) you do such great work DirshB, however i would offer one thing. I would place Spider-Men straight after the Prowler arc of spider-man and before the tale of two cities storyline in Ultimates. Only because Fury is shown to be in charge of SHIELD still, not Flumm, Captain America still isn't on the team and the fact that the world isn't that much of a mess currently in the spider-men story.
 

cmdrjanjalani

Well-Known Member
I would say its back in. The only real monkey wrench in this is that the whole-body brain was a big part of the plot in Ultimate Human.

Well to be fair, Ellis' term is 'biological computronium' or something like that is rather vague. And it wasn't a big plot point. Tony saves the day by using the nanomachines in his body, which is actually long acknowledged since Ultimates 2 I believe. Maybe that living tumor "Anthony" might be some explanation for that. Personally I'd like to think that Stark's intelligence is superhuman. They did the same thing with Reed as a reason why he made even crazier inventions after the accident. I'd say bring UMTU back as his origin as default unless some comic says otherwise, there's no reason why it wouldn't be. Heck, the Spider-Man Ultimatum flashback with MJ and Iron Man seems to harken back to that time.

The biggest continuity gaffe these days is how Bendis and Millar give conflicting data on how long the Ultimate Universe has transpired since the beginning to present day. Bendis asserts based on Peter's birthday that everything has happened within a year. Millar states in Ultimate Avengers that several years has taken place already. Specifically the Perun issue in Volume 3.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top