Ultimate Spider-Man #108 discussion (spoilers)

I'm always right.

Scenerio should've been: Everyone thought Ronin was Moon Knight and they noticed his chaotic behavior and confronted him. Moon Knight also confronts Ronin and Ronin ends up killing Moon Knight. Ronin actually being Elektra or **** even The Rose. All right that was baseless but still better than this.

Lot, a lot a real lot better than what Bendis has done, still the rest of the story is nice...

Story-wise not too bad, but the art was TERRIBLE. I seriously can't tell Kitty apart from Jessica Jones. I thought Ronin shot Jessica Jones until she said she was a mutant.

Not sure how I feel about the new Ronin angle. It's not horrible (yet), so I guess that's good. But I'm not sure I like it.

I do like that this issue got back to the "Peter's high school life" plot, which was woefully lacking lately. Unfortunately it looks like it was only for these last 3 issues.

So...2.9/5

Story-wise not too bad, but the art was TERRIBLE. I seriously can't tell Kitty apart from Jessica Jones. I thought Ronin shot Jessica Jones until she said she was a mutant.
I do have to agree with you there - for all that I've always liked Bagley's art (hardly anyone can display emotion in faces like he can) it's been a common thing with him to draw many characters alike. Sometimes it seems like he can't even draw Peter similarly across frames...from straight on he looks like a 15 year old and yet from the side he's drawn like an adult.

So did Bendis just forget about Danny Rand?

No. It's not like Bendis hasn't done this before. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Here, it works. Daredevil, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi, Doc Strange do not appear in the issue but that doesn't mean Bendis "forgot" about them. In fact he probably did them justice by not forcing them in and giving them some lines that would further mischaracterize them.

Re: USM 108 discussion (spoilers)

Well, I liked the issue and I think the art was a vast improvement over last issues.

But. . .

. . . it's only been "two weeks" since Silver Sable?

WTF?

You know, the two week timeframe is actually about right. It may have been about 17 issues, but the last three story arcs comprise about a day and a half each. Deadpool was one day. Morbius was one night bookended by Pete at work and at school. And The Clone Saga was an afternoon (when Scorpion attacked) and the following night (everything else). It's decompression at it's finest (worst?), folks.

You know, the two week timeframe is actually about right. It may have been about 17 issues, but the last three story arcs comprise about a day and a half each. Deadpool was one day. Morbius was one night bookended by Pete at work and at school. And The Clone Saga was an afternoon (when Scorpion attacked) and the following night (everything else). It's decompression at it's finest (worst?), folks.

That actually makes sense. But you'd think that there would be more spacing in between these events.

Yeah, I'd like to think there was some time between arcs to beef it up a bit.

Except Bendis wants for Peter to never leave high school. I think that I'm in around the same place in my Sophmore year as Peter, and when I think back one everything that's happened in this year. And everything that's happened in Peter's year...

Instead of making my life feel very dull, it makes his seem unrealistic. No one's life, Spider-super-hero or not, is that exciting.

The art... eh. I was hopeful two issues ago when Kitty was reintroduced, (because, when he's on the ball, Bagley draws a damn foxy Kitty,) but now it's descended to the level of the worst of the Clone Saga, (the nigh-incoherent battle with Doc Ock.) I have no real beef with the arc thus far, (unless a bit of true stupidity a la Mary's first transformation occurs,) and I'm even giving Ronin a chance until I can get a good look at the Arc as a whole. Hell, I'm even digging Skinny Kong, (of course, it could just be a little bit of former-fat-guy sympathy talking:p).

Anyone have a clue as to what the next Arc is going to be? I'm assuming Death of a Goblin, but Bendis is known for his whims.

-Matt

ROTFL! I love your review Wade! :D When I read this issue I was thinking "huh, the reporter looks somewhat like MJ, probably just the red hair that makes me think that" :p

I liked that they talked about Kingpin's wife again. At least one USM villain is something a little more than evil... I don't know if her hair is different though, I mean it was dark last time we saw her, (unless there was something between her Cats and Kings appearance and now?) It did look black there, but sometimes hair can look pretty different when the light catches it. I don't know *shrugs*

The multiple personality discussion throughout the book was pretty weird. I know almost nothing about MK in 616, so I can't compare. I do think it probably could've been written better, but I think that about most fictional multiple personalities, so *shrug* Oh, and I have a little girl talking in my head, so I don't find that the least bit weird.

Moon Knight's Ronin. Wow. Never saw that coming. Never. In a million years. I'm shocked. Anyway, it would've been nice if there was a real twist with Ronin, but I wasn't really expecting it, so I can't say I'm disappointed.

I do find it interesting that MK had to go and destroy Peter's school and bring him to Kingpin. Peter's never going to trust anybody again after this.

Hmmm, so is Ult. MJ gonna be a reporter? She's hinted at acting, teaching and now reporting. I liked that MJ had a plot that didn't involve her being in harm's way. I like MJ, I thought she was really great in the beginning of the title, what I don't like is them constantly putting her in harm's way to add suspense. It makes the whole thing feel very convoluted, and when you do it less, it feels a lot scarier. I really thought she was gonna die when GG threw her off a bridge, but now it's waaaay overused.

Ugh, I hope this thing gets straightened out soon, the MJ and Peter talk, Kitty comes along, it gets awkward and she runs away formula is very uninteresting... Really, if you're gonna have her here, do something with her.

Bet Kitty saves Liz from Ronin. Bet you a thousand bucks... *read more* Okay, not directly, but she did confront Ronin... Bet you Liz realizes she's wrong about mutants by the end of the issue, but you a million bucks...

I agree with E, I was glad to see the school characters again, but it probably won't last :?

Well, I don't know MK well enough to know if Bendis handled him right, the Ronin thing was very predictable, but I still think it can be very interesting. The stuff at school could've been better, but so far I still like for this storyline okay. I mean, Spidey's in Kingpin's hands, which could make the next issue very interesting... Hopefully.

Gotta wonder though, why didn't Kingpin ever just check out the school? I mean, seriously, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to park outside the school, see who comes out, identify Peter and follow him home. He'd have nothing to lose.

Got a chance to catch back up on the title.

I'm actually enjoying this. The art. . .eh. It's not terrible, but you can kind of tell Bagely isn't really trying anymore. I'm going to enjoy Immonen's take.

As for the story, I like it. It's decent. Not spectacular, but decent. I even kind of like that Ronin is Moon Knight. Because, honestly, the only way it could be better is if it was Elektra. Hopefully, Bendis can give us a nice resolution to this arc (And explain what the hell Dr. Strange has to do with Kingpin).

Just read this and... I dont care, at all, about any characters or plot. There was a time when I did care, I was actually interested in these characters and stories, I felt empathy. Now that is a distant memory and all I have now is just a story that is pointless and bland. **** you Bendis seriously I really loved this book but I can't take it anymore.

Dropped

Latest posts

Back