Ultimate Spider-Man #96 (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear said:

Information on Ultimate Vampires? Like what? The same old? What really annoyed me was the #1 question that people asked Bendis about this arc when it was up and coming was what SHIELD had to do with Ultimate Vampires and his answer was "We called SHIELD and they thought we were joking." Cmon' SHIELD would be all over this.

We know something's "wrong" with Peter's blood. I think you're taking it out of context. The Vampires think it's "diseased" because it's not normal blood. You're looking at it from their perspective. We already know Peter's powers and his blood are a set up for the story.

Not much is known about Magical or mythical creators in this Universe. I mean Ultimates vol. 2 is a few months ahead of everyone else... and they still think Thor is some crazy guy with powers. As for the Vampires... it could just be Bendis. But... most Vampire stories say it takes two bites not three to become a full Vampire... and MWoF before you go all over on me on this. Remember a lot of alternate realities are based on small almost doesn't seem necessary of mentioning things. Like "What if... The Amazing Spider-Man did not Marry Mary Jane." Spider-Man was knockout a few seconds longer than the 616 Spider-Man and that made him think it was not save for him to marry Mary Jane. It may not seem like much but sometimes it's the little things that have the biggest impact on these universes.

Taskmaster said:
I enjoyed this arc. I was disappointed Blade didn't show, but oh well. The vampires and the wolf-thing were cool.

I want MJ to die. Or to leave for a very long time. I prefer Peter with Kitty, simple as that.

Good post.
The sWatcher said:
Not much is known about Magical or mythical creators in this Universe. I mean Ultimates vol. 2 is a few months ahead of everyone else... and they still think Thor is some crazy guy with powers. As for the Vampires... it could just be Bendis. But... most Vampire stories say it takes two bites not three to become a full Vampire... and MWoF before you go all over on me on this. Remember a lot of alternate realities are based on small almost doesn't seem necessary of mentioning things. Like "What if... The Amazing Spider-Man did not Marry Mary Jane." Spider-Man was knockout a few seconds longer than the 616 Spider-Man and that made him think it was not save for him to marry Mary Jane. It may not seem like much but sometimes it's the little things that have the biggest impact on these universes.

Could be because I'm drunk... but that posts makes no sense to me.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Could be because I'm drunk... but that posts makes no sense to me.
I'm sober and I agree. He fell apart into nonsensical ramblings after
The Watcher said:
most Vampire stories say it takes two bites not three to become a full Vampire...
I also agree about the SHIELD. If they accept the existance of aliens, vampires isn't a stretch. They might still be studying them, so they haven't tried to make a strong move against them until they have a solid plan. I wouldn't be suprised if the next appearance of vampires is in a SHIELD capacity.

Not a bad issue, interesting thing with Doom and dracula and all that. I learn something new every time I come here. :lol:

I felt the end was forced too, though I'm glad to see Peter acting like a teenager for once. Morbius sure kicked his *** though, is he that strong in the 616?

The biggest tragedy of this arc (and the past three arcs) is how Bendis is wasting the Peter/Kitty relationship. We know that Peter cares about MJ, and vice-versa, but why the hell does Bendis have to bring this to the forefront when we've hardly had anytime on a new, somewhat more interesting relationship? There are lots of stories to tell with Kitty/Peter, and we've already had MJ and Peter break up/get back together in two arcs.

Blah. I'm afraid Kitty/Peter is going hte way of Gwen.

Last edited:
Sacred&Profane said:
The biggest tragedy of this arc (and the past three arcs) is how Bendis is wasting the Peter/Kitty relationship. We know that Peter cares about MJ, and vice-versa, but why the hell does Bendis have to bring this to the forefront when we've hardly had anytime on a new, somewhat more interesting relationship? There are lots of stories to tell with Kitty/Peter, and we've already had MJ and Peter break up/get back together in two arcs.

Where were you when we discussed this? There is no interesting stories to be told with Peter and Kitty. The story and stories that will be told are called "Deadpool". Besides Kitty doesn't live in New York, if she's around all the time, I'll be irked by consistent "What the hell is she doing there again? And coincidently at the time that Peter's in trouble?"

TheManWithoutFear said:
I dunno. I'd hope so. Vampires are supposed to be strong. They should be what Namor is.

Hell no.

Lynx said:
Personally. . .I don't think vampires belong in Spider-man. Yeah, it was ok for the Super-Special since it showed Spidey that there is some weird stuff out there, but. . .it's just totally pointless. He proved that point perfectly fine with the Super-Special, and even reinforced it with the Strange two-parter. Making Morbius into a regular vampire? Even more pointless. I would much rather have had Morbius undergo an accident similiar to Peter's, but with a bat. I like that he was good, but. . .ugh. Bendis better get his act together during the Clone Saga. I mean, ever since Legacy, everything has been anywhere from ok to absolutley horrid (Except maybe Hollywood and Warriors, but even they weren't spectacular).

You do know though that this is the Ultimate universe i.e everting is diferent i for one loved it blade sucks anyway.i love the fact that peter cant turn into a vampire guess they'l used it in the clone saga.i dont see your point on the vampire thing since even in the clasic universe Peter has encountered Vampires.

Sacred&Profane said:

Deedpool arc duh.Remember she's also with the X-men i.e cant be with him all the time.He huged MJ big deal...he still considers her a friend i mean i huged my friend dont mean im in love with her.

anyway nex issue scorpion i love scorpion and love his Ultimate suit.

ProjectX2 said:
Or, Bendis could never have read Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Who does?

Random said:
I didnt like this arc, it was okay but I was hoping for something more original with the vampires, this just seems to use the same mythology we've seen before. And I hate Moribus's costume, too dracula. I would of liked more of Peter's and Ben's reaction to all this, soaking it in.

Vampire fans would have been pissed then. its better this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Venom Melendez said:
Vampire fans would have been pissed then. its better this way.
I guess but really how many "vampire fans" read USM often. I just want something more original and less cheesy

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well that's a bit harsh. You don't think they should be unnaturally strong? What I meant in context was Namor was too powerful and these Vampires don't seem strong enough. Like they should switch weight class.

I thought you meant vampires being as strong as Namor. And considering how Namor is the most powerful metahuman on the planet, I thought it was a bit outrageous.

And no, I think vampires should only be a bit stronger than ordinary humans.

ProjectX2 said:
And no, I think vampires should only be a bit stronger than ordinary humans.

Well, according to Vampire : The Masquerade and Vampire : The Requiem...

Oh, let's not get into that. Let's just say it depends on the story. In some stories they are not one bit stronger than a normal human, in most they are somewhat stronger and only in very few vampire story will you see them lifting cars and such. Super Speed and hypnotic powers are more common. And the transofrmation into a flock of Bat and into a wolf harkens back to the classics. I don't think Anne Rice's vampire do.

Last edited:
I don't think Anne Rice's vampire do.

I believe that Rice's vampires do not have this particular skill/ability.

Personally, Anne Rice's interpretation of vampires is the best I've ever encountered. In so many ways, it's realistic when considering what a Vampire is... an immortal human with a thirst for blood, some additional strength and powers that come with being undead but still retaining the things that make us human (emotion, desire, etc).

But, alas, this is not Anne Rice's world so Bendis can do whatever he likes with them...

Anne Rice defined the Sensual Vampire. She almost trademarked it.

There is also the Sophisticaded Aristocrat created by Bram Stoker or the horrible monster of the movie Nosferatu. And yes, the brutal biker-like vampires of some horror movies of the 90s.

It's not so much that Rice's vampire are the best. They are a different archetype focusing on a different aspect of the myth (namely the Vampires as a sexual metaphor).

The Vampire RPGs by Whitewolf are in fact a pretty good ressource about vampires. The basic clans of Vampire proposed by the core books (Masquerade and now Requiem) are quite simply the different archetypes that have appeared over the years in litterature and cinema, along with their usual powers : Ventrue (That's Dracula), Brujah (That's Dracula 2000 and such movies), Toreador (Anne Rice's vampires), Nosferatu (Kind of obvious, huh?) etc. They all reflect a different trend.

Bendis Vampires seems a mix between the classic vampires in powers and the modern vampire thug in attitude.

Last edited:
The clans are imho the best interpretation yet. Anne Rice's are good as well, altho a bit too similiar to each other (and I thought the origin idea was poor).

edit: That's probably because I thought the origin of Vampires in Vampires: The Masquerade so damn cool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back