Ultimate X-Men #75, Ultimate Power #1 previews @ PCS

I know I've been pesimistic about Kirkman's Cable.....but from the preview it looks like it won't totally suck.

I won't say that he's gonna bring back the awesome Vaughaness......but I'll at least give it a shot. In his defense---team books are much harder to write as opposed to single hero stories. There are so many other stories going on....more people to focus on....etc.

Time to have a random rant!

I don't know wtf you people are talking about when you call Kirkman's UXM crappy. It's not even filler! Sure, Magician's existence is, but everything else isn't. We got some major development on storylines like, say, Phoenix. Before Kirkman's stuff we were still completely in the dark about what was going on with that. And even after getting several answers, it's still left unanswered and open... in a good way. Nightcrawler, meanwhile, has gone through some major development, although I liked it a bit better when he was unaffected by Weapon X. But this way is a bit more realistic and it's not like we ever saw Kirk as life-loving as his 616 self, so I don't mind. Rogue's become super-horny and undergone her first major multiple personality trip that we know of. The Shi'ar have been introduced in a more realistic yet still creepy way. The quality of Kirkman's writing is debatable, but to go running around screaming "FILLER!" at the top of you lungs is incredibly naive.

And I love Kirkman's work on UXM, I think it's much better than anything from Vaughan's run. Vaughan's work on the series was great, but I just like Kirkman's stuff more. But I'm a Kirkman fanboy and completely biased. :p

Ultimate Power... eeeeeehhh... Hopefully Millar isn't going to end up spreading himself even more thin than already. Health issues, y'all.

This should be damn good.

I don't know wtf you people are talking about when you call Kirkman's UXM crappy. It's not even filler! Sure, Magician's existence is, but everything else isn't. We got some major development on storylines like, say, Phoenix. Before Kirkman's stuff we were still completely in the dark about what was going on with that. And even after getting several answers, it's still left unanswered and open... in a good way. Nightcrawler, meanwhile, has gone through some major development, although I liked it a bit better when he was unaffected by Weapon X. But this way is a bit more realistic and it's not like we ever saw Kirk as life-loving as his 616 self, so I don't mind. Rogue's become super-horny and undergone her first major multiple personality trip that we know of. The Shi'ar have been introduced in a more realistic yet still creepy way. The quality of Kirkman's writing is debatable, but to go running around screaming "FILLER!" at the top of you lungs is incredibly naive.

And I love Kirkman's work on UXM, I think it's much better than anything from Vaughan's run. Vaughan's work on the series was great, but I just like Kirkman's stuff more. But I'm a Kirkman fanboy and completely biased. :p

Ultimate Power... eeeeeehhh... Hopefully Millar isn't going to end up spreading himself even more thin than already. Health issues, y'all.

:rockon"

Exactly. I'm a Kirkman fanboy too (though MTU wasn't very good).

**** the haters.

vvd said:
In his defense---team books are much harder to write as opposed to single hero stories. There are so many other stories going on....more people to focus on....etc.

Have you read any of the Walking Dead?

Anyone else think that Scott is trying to propose to Jean?

Last edited:
Lil Brother said:

Millar's not writing Ultimate Power. Bendis, JMS and Loeb are.

I'm a Kirkman fanboy too, but his UXM has lacked so far. It's still good stuff, definitely not as bad as some make it out to be, but it's nowhere near his usual standards.

Everything that happened in the 9-issue "mega arc" could've been told in four issues and it would've worked a lot better, but Kirkman stretched it out to 9 issues because that's what he was hired to do: write nine issues, touch on a few points and leave the book otherwise unchanged. I have faith that now that the situation has changed and he can do what he wants we'll see quality storytelling, which frankly these past 9 issues weren't.

Latest posts

Back