Ultimate X-Men: Apocalypse (#90-93)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #93 Spoilers

It sounds like something editorial made Kirkman do so Loeb and his monkey can carry on without having to use all of this stuff.

You, I would belief that if I thought for one second Loeb cared about continuity.

Well I got the issue today.

It's utter garbage. It's monumental trash.

We get a few pages of a naked Jean fighting Apocalypse in the least original or meaningful way possible. She shoots fire at him and it slowly gets to be too much and the Apoc begs her to stop.

Apoc's a battle armor? A bio-mechanical suit? But no one cares, at all. Sinister doesn't say a word he lays there in the ruined Apoc armor/suit/whatever. Jean talks to Cyke like he's garbage. "Your emotions are beneath me." Then she holds the Professor's head and restarts the world with "I expect you to start over."

Xavier's not walking now, he's back in his chair at the school. And here's where things get really....iffy in continuity which is a sheer nightmare for the timeline holder.

Jean talks about Xavier being the problem, he's the reason this happened and mutant rights are now pushed back a 100 years (why? Because Angel and Leach died? No one else died in this besides a few red shirt Morlocks). But they NEVER explain what Xavier did that caused Apocalypse.

And if Apocalypse was Sinister then that means...what? When did Xavier do anything with Sinister? Sinister was just a whack job (with maybe a bio-armor which he couldn't use until he killed 10 mutants? Tony Stark doesn't need to drink baby blood to power up why does Apoc/Sinister need to?) WHY IS THIS CHARLES'S FAULT?!?!

No one says a damn word about it. AND when does this restart happen? Well, here's a continuity mess.

Xavier's alive but the school's open to the kids and Toad is a member of the X-Men both of which only happened because Xavier died. So if Xavier never died why are they here? Beast is on the team, I thought he would be in SHIELD now if Xavier never died Beast wouldn't have been any the wiser.

IS THAT WHAT CHARLES DID? Is Beast and the Legacy Virus the thing that caused Apocalypse? If it is, some mention of it would be nice. Especially since the virus didn't create Sinister, Sinister didn't use the virus, and Apocalypse didn't use the virus. So what the hell?

Colossus is still with Jean-Paul in Chi-town which again he's only there because of Xavier's death.

So it isn't a restart in any way. "I expect you to start over" is what Jean does. And Xavier seems to believe that at the end of the chapter but besides bring Angel back to life...it seems to take place on the same day Apocalypse arose from the sewers and started tearing up New York. An idea further reinforced with a panel showing a newscast that shows the piece of New York that was effected in the battle only it's undamaged.

So, what did Jean restart? If Xavier did something that caused Apocalypse/Sinister to start their killings and all...wouldn't restarting mean going back in time BEFORE he did it instead of at the time Apocalypse would have shown up only this time for some unknown reason he doesn't?

I can't make sense of it. It's utter garbage and to think this was the story Kirkman wanted so badly to tell? This is what he did? He ruined Apocalypse for good, ruined Sinister, Bishop, Cable, and told the most retarded Ultimate X-Men story yet for WHAT?

What was the purpose of this story?

Jean's Phoenix?

**** YOU! We knew that! You couldn't have told that story with some kind of meaning and character? You had to make her transform and leave over the course of ten pages?

This was beyond bad.

Kirkman's run F.

A big ole F.

This last story ruined the only two arcs I really liked. Cable and the Aftermath one shots. It ruined good characters, it progressed NOTHING, there's no consequences to it, there's vague explanations for the whole thing happening despite everyone saying it's Xavier's fault.

Seriously, this issue gave me hepatitis, diabetes, and cancer.

Have to agree with FoolsFolly. This issue was the definition of lame.

However, I do think it did a great job as serving as a prelude to Loeb's Ultimatum, in terms of the quality of the story. This sucked, which is a perfect primer for what I'm sure will be the Ultimate Suckfest, Ultimatum.

The art was horrendous as well. I've never heard of Harvey Tolibao (an apparent fill-in artist), and I never want to hear of him again. His artwork is terrible.

Bleecch.

Its amazing how USM is now the best book in the Ultimate line.

*shakes head in utter disappointment and grief*

But. . . does it make sense with USM 119?

Nope. At least in terms of Jean and Collossus appearing (Nightcrawler's appearance is also questionable). As of right now, thats a timeline mistake too (apparently Bendis forgot, or the editor failed to mention Jean/Phoenix flies off to the unknown post UXM #93). Maybe in upcoming issues Collossus will rejoin the team, though I doubt Jean will appear again as a part of the team before Ultimatum (I'm sure the title will involve some Phoenix elements), so at this point we'll chalk it up to yet another screwy Ultimate timeline moment.

Harvey Tolibao wasn't all that bad. I got the feeling he was trying to ape Larocca so it would read better together in trade.

Harvey Tolibao wasn't all that bad. I got the feeling he was trying to ape Larocca so it would read better together in trade.

An actual ape's art would've been easier to look at and decipher for me.

I mean, did you see Cyclop's abs in the "meeting room" scene towards the end? That was retarded.

This is depressing especially considering Kirkman is not supposed to be a bad writer. As far as I know though the X-Men retains their memories that may be some semblance of excuse why some aspects of the X-Men post-Xavier's "death" are still kept.

I really think that Kirkman's reason for leaving is complete B.S. The way he crappily resolved the Dr. Cornelius "Clone Wolverine" sub-plot was horribly lame. Now the Legacy Virus is nothing more than a silly plot device to make an excuse to keep Beast alive. The only way to save that part is hopefully a good writer touches on the actual subject and cares about continuity.

ok, while this issue was sub par, i still found it to fit and make sense unto its self.

in terms of just, uxm, it works, it sucks it was lame, but it still works

DIrishB, sorry this messes up your timeline so much

I don't think any bit of this worked at all. When in the last four issues did any character actually...act in character? It was four issues of heavily plotted plot.

There was no heart or soul in it. Apocalypse's actions carry no weight at all, which is further undercut when you find out he's not even Apocalypse...he's an unexplained Sinister bio-armor.

It was okay, I guess. As far as I can tell all the stuff in the arc still happened, just the effects and the memories were erased, so it shouldn't affect the timeline really, except for its relation to USM 119.

The art was mostly good but got crappier and crappier as the issue went on and ended with bizarre muscles on everyone. Very weird.

It was okay, I guess. As far as I can tell all the stuff in the arc still happened, just the effects and the memories were erased, so it shouldn't affect the timeline really, except for its relation to USM 119.

The art was mostly good but got crappier and crappier as the issue went on and ended with bizarre muscles on everyone. Very weird.

But it was made to be a reset before Xavier created Apocalypse in a manner and time period never stated in the comic. That's the fundamental flaw.

But it was made to be a reset before Xavier created Apocalypse in a manner and time period never stated in the comic. That's the fundamental flaw.

Well, I guess in that erases something that never happened in the first place. But it shouldn't affect a linear timeline.

It's magic we don't have to explain it, then, eh?

So I wonder if this places Sinister back in Triskelion or erased him from existence altogether?

This was U3 bad. Total garbage. Gotta agree with FoolsFolly here. And the art was awful.

I don't know about you anyone else, but I am not wasting anymore of my money on sub par crap. I am dumping this book. UFF is next. And I am seriously not buying Ulti-crap-matum. If we hate it but we keep buying it, JQ will keep publishing it. There is too much other good stuff to waste my time and money on bad comics.

That's it Mike. I used to go my LCS every week - now it's more like once every 3 or 4 weeks. Because I just stopped collecting comics I hated to 'keep the collection'. LCS day is now a much happier time for me. :)

As for this issue - I read it online. It was, essentially, a game of top trumps. I think Kirkman actually gave Apocalypse a superb power - the ability to control mutant DNA - it's an astonishing idea. I really hope it takes on but it won't, because this arc was really poo. But he had that terrific idea and I'd like to see it again.

Also - the cover for the next issue looks like either Colossus gets AIDS or something to do with the legacy virus.

And finally, I think the "It's all your fault, Charles" is something Kirkman was told to put in as a set up for Ultimatum. Millar had a whole "Xavier is up to something" shtick, and Kirkman didn't use it (which is totally fair enough) - and at the end, he suddenly brings it in. I can only imagine this was so the issue ties to Ultimatum and Loeb will 'reveal' what Xavier is up to.

Latest posts

Back