Victorian Marvel stories?

compound

Have there been any alternate reality/non-continuity/What If? stories that take place during the Victorian era/Industrial Revolution period? If so, could you provide me with some titles/issue numbers?

(Marvel only please.)

Let me change the question, then. Anybody got clever ideas for Marvel alternate-reality stories, set in the Victorian era?

* From a quiet glen in upstate New York, an intrepid team of four voyagers attempt an early, Jules Verne-esque moon launch, using a primitive cannon-like device. Leading the mission is a nebbish inventor and physicist; he is joined by a schoolteacher (who hopes to bring the great American way to the savage "moon peoples"); her brother, a fiery steam engine driver; and a Russian-Jewish emigre machinist. But things don't turn out the way you expect them to, in this cautionary tale of the perils and wonders of discovery.

* A fiesty Negro, a ne'er-do-well hillbilly con artist, and a short-tempered Chinaman decide to become "heroes for hire", dispensing hypocritical "justice-at-a-price" to those who are prepared to feed, clothe, and shelter them, as they make their way Eastwards across the US. Will their travels make them into genuine champions of the oppressed in the so-called Land of the Free? Or will they choose self-interest and pursuit of the dollar? It's a Very American Story, exploring the intersections of multiculturalism, capital, and frontier mythology.

compound said:
* A fiesty Negro, a ne'er-do-well hillbilly con artist, and a short-tempered Chinaman decide to become "heroes for hire", dispensing hypocritical "justice-at-a-price" to those who are prepared to feed, clothe, and shelter them, as they make their way Eastwards across the US. Will their travels make them into genuine champions of the oppressed in the so-called Land of the Free? Or will they choose self-interest and pursuit of the dollar? It's a Very American Story, exploring the intersections of multiculturalism, capital, and frontier mythology.
That'd be an awesome Jackie Chan movie.

*bump*

I like this thread. How did I miss it the first time?

Last edited:
Incidentally, nobody answered the first two questions (in terms of actual stories OR random ideas).

Perhaps some newer members have something to contribute?

Incidentally, nobody answered the first two questions (in terms of actual stories OR random ideas).

Perhaps some newer members have something to contribute?

I missed it last time, but I know! There's...one, I can think of offhand. One of the Cyclops and Phoenix limited series had them going to Victorian England for...some reason to...do something with Sinister who is, as Roguefan mentioned, from that time. There's no doubt quite a few other story arcs set in that general timeperiod (I'd look at Gambit) but thats the only limited series I can think of offhand.

There's the 1802 miniseries, but I think that's a little before Victorian times (Elizabethan, since it's during King James' reign, and he came immediately after Elizabeth as I recall).

I think you mean 1602.

I had an idea for a Victorian Avengers, which is why I bumped this thread. I'll have to get around to typing it up.

There's the 1802 miniseries, but I think that's a little before Victorian times (Elizabethan, since it's during King James' reign, and he came immediately after Elizabeth as I recall).
Actually, it's 1602, and it's not really what I'm after -- I was thinking more along the lines of Industrial Revolution era stories. More like the Elseworlds mini-series, JLA: Age of Wonder, or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but with a Marvel context.

Last edited:
Yes I would very much like Victorian Punisher who was a vet of the Napoleonic wars and has a huge assortment of bayonets.

*BUMP*

Nothing to add, really. Just wanted to revive the thread, in case anybody had some new ideas for possibilities.

Please relocate this to the Baseless Speculation thread, as necessary -- I want to encourage suggestions, as much as discussions on existing storylines.

hm.... I'd make Tony Stark an industrialist who's moved his factories to Hong Kong. He's fallen into the throes of opium addiction and spends all his time at the brothels and opium dens. That is, until he realizes that a local magnate calling himself the Mandarin is ruthlessly buying up territory to discover powerful mystical power underneath the city. So, Stark has to don steam-powered armor to thwart him.

Black Widow would be an agent for the Russian royals, and Colossus and his sister would tie in somehow (maybe Colossus is a personal bodyguard?).

Spider-Man's gotta be a Pip-like orphan who works endless hours in a factory, and gets powers from the strange chemicals being used in the factory. His villains would similarly be mutated by Victorian-age technology. Doc Octopus and Green Goblin could thrive particularly well in a Victorian environment, I believe.

The X-Men would have to be American colonists who ran away from home after facing persecution, I think.

hm.... I'd make Tony Stark an industrialist who's moved his factories to Hong Kong. He's fallen into the throes of opium addiction and spends all his time at the brothels and opium dens. That is, until he realizes that a local magnate calling himself the Mandarin is ruthlessly buying up territory to discover powerful mystical power underneath the city. So, Stark has to don steam-powered armor to thwart him.
I actually really like that idea.

I've always liked Victorian styles--clockwork machinery, kickass greatcoats, smoke and fog, and the sense of disconnect between prudish upper classes and seedy opium dens and prostitution. Zombipanda's ideas would be cool.

Black Widow would be an agent for the Russian royals, and Colossus and his sister would tie in somehow (maybe Colossus is a personal bodyguard?).

Spider-Man's gotta be a Pip-like orphan who works endless hours in a factory, and gets powers from the strange chemicals being used in the factory. His villains would similarly be mutated by Victorian-age technology. Doc Octopus and Green Goblin could thrive particularly well in a Victorian environment, I believe.

The X-Men would have to be American colonists who ran away from home after facing persecution, I think.
Good ideas. Especially the Iron Man one.

I think Daredevil would work well. You wouldn't even have to change much. Lawyer by day, vigilante by night. A devil theme would fit in well in the time period. Hell even Kingpin would translate well. The only trouble would be his chemical induced superpowers, but I'm sure I could find a Victorian angle on that.

I must do some thinking. If I really get into it you may see something pop up in the fan-fiction forum.

Latest posts

Back