Violent Massacre....Geek Style!

E.Vi.L. said:
Why can't it be hilarious and wrong at the same time?

The guys who did this are jackasses. I'd never do something like this and would never be friend with someone who did.

But I didn't know the dead guy OR the jackasses who pulled the stunt so it's just funny to me.

Exactly. I would never in a million years even consider doing that - maybe the outrageous factor is why it's funny.

I don't play WoW...never did...never will.

I do feel bad that someone died. But I don't know the person or anyone who does...so I can't feel too bad or that much remorse. But the clip was funny.

It's proably the editting. We have the somber memorial....and then cut to a band of jackasses running thru the world to punk rock...then cut back to somberville.

The act was deplorable....but the way it was done was just funny.

okay, if they know who this guy is, they shouldnt go and ****ing pay respects to his character, they should get together some money (maybe NOT pay for WoW for a month or so) and send it to the guy's family, and have a lot of letters from all of his online friends...

Seriously, the online funeral in an MMORPG is a rediculous concept, and I don't see it as mature... I see it as people hiding behind their immaturity to try to pretend that they are actually adults, which they obviously arent'

I suppose those of you who think this is a mature, good hearted thing also think that MMORPG marraiges are a good idea... When the point of a game is war, and you make friends through that game, you don't use the war game to pay tribute, you use an Online Forum, or even better, you ACTUALLY pay respect to their family.

I dont know, I found it amusing, but more because I could easily see these guys trying to make this stupid mockery of a wake into a bigger deal than it should be... I hope to god if any of those people were friends with him in real life that they didn't think that this made up for their responsibilities to him and his family in the real world...

The other guys took advantage of a stupid *** situation. I probably wouldnt have, but I would have agreed with the initial argument that this was a stupid idea.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Seriously, the online funeral in an MMORPG is a rediculous concept, and I don't see it as mature... I see it as people hiding behind their immaturity to try to pretend that they are actually adults, which they obviously arent'

Exactly. Well put. And it lends to the other part of what makes this humorous - that people could actually get offended and take it personally.

Never mind the fact that it is brilliant. I'm not familiar with these kinds of games, but I assume that by killing people like that it earns points or something to develop your character. You do what you gotta do.

I actually have a similar story to this, except it doesn't involve in real deaths, just the game characters.

Ice and I had been playing a game called Tibia for a while, and had just reached the new land. We were walking around in the wild when this random giant spider (these guys aren't suppose to be there) appears and starts chasing us. We try to run, but it gets Ice, and then me.

I later found out it had been summoned. I was angry, but then I imagine Ice and I running away from a freakin' giant spider and it makes me smile.

I see the humor in it but this does demenstrates the worst of humanity, seriously. These guys go out and do something to say farewell in their own way. And a bunch of guys come in and completely make a joke of it. And the thing is it meant A LOT to these guys to say good bye, and then some guy comes by and ruins it. Its no different than when during a moment of silience some *** hole yells out obsenities or some one crashing a memorial service. The said thing is there are people just like this all over the worldand its because of them I wouldn't mind the world ending

Dr.Strangefate said:
okay, if they know who this guy is, they shouldnt go and ****ing pay respects to his character, they should get together some money (maybe NOT pay for WoW for a month or so) and send it to the guy's family, and have a lot of letters from all of his online friends...

They're not paying respects to the character. They're paying respects to the person that played it. Most of these people probably don't know the person outside of WoW, and organising dozens of people to send money to someone isn't particularly practical in a global community. This is a simple way to pay respects to a person in the aspect of their life that they knew them in. It's a sweet gesture.

I've seen funerals for characters - such a massacre could be funny.

But this wasn't a funeral for a character - but for a person. That requires some damned respect.

Dr. Strangefate said:

I don't see how this makes sense. A community paying respects to someone they miss is a mature gesture. Your operating under a prejudice that is: doing anything relating to WoW other than actually fighting a monster is considered immature; Enjoying the game is immature. Creating and participating in an online community within the game is immature. I disagree.

These characters and that community mean something to those players. The loss of one of them meant something.

And to those who it meant nothing to, to those who claim it was immature and 'sad', they burst in, playing the Scatman, killed everyone and ran away.

I find that act immature and despicable. (Though, the Scatman is always funny.)

Just because an online game isn't 'real', doesn't mean the people and their relationships towards each other, aren't.

Dr. Strangefate said:
I suppose those of you who think this is a mature, good hearted thing also think that MMORPG marraiges are a good idea... When the point of a game is war, and you make friends through that game, you don't use the war game to pay tribute, you use an Online Forum, or even better, you ACTUALLY pay respect to their family.

The game isn't just a war game. It's a ROLE-PLAYING GAME. The purpose of such games is to create communities, and as such, the game itself IS an online forum.

And, since the community is so vast, paying actual respects isn't neccessarily appropriate or sometimes possible. The WoW funeral doesn't mean that respects weren't paid to the family. You're assuming that the funeral excluded such a possibility, but that's not neccessarily the case.

I could understand if these guys got attacked by monsters and npcs, or if the people who attacked didn't realise it was a funeral - but they purposely attacked them because they were having a funeral, which is just... cruel.

Dr Strangefate said:
The other guys took advantage of a stupid *** situation. I probably wouldnt have, but I would have agreed with the initial argument that this was a stupid idea.

Then you wouldn't go to the funeral - which is fine. But to purposely ruin it for others because you don't agree? That's remarkably spiteful.

To ruin someone else's idea of a good/meaningful time because you don't agree with it - that's not right.

And it's even worse if that time to them is profound, and to you, it means nothing.

Because that's saying their hurt is false and meaningless, and that you have the right to judge it.

I can't agree with that, and I can't find such acts funny.

Things like this are only funny if they aren't real. If this was a skit on a tv show, or a faked online video it would be funny, but someone actually died. Its sort of like this: If a man walked up to a baby, pulled something out of its hands and began punching it, that would be horrible and that man would be sent to jail for a long time. But on "Robot Chicken", when they do a stopmotion animation of a man grabbing candy from a baby and punching it in the face, thats funny. Its violent and horrible, but its being presented as something thats so horrible that no one would do it in real life, which makes it ridiculous and therefore humorous. When someone actually does it, its just plain disgusting. Like this.

E.Vi.L. said:
Why can't it be hilarious and wrong at the same time?

The guys who did this are jackasses. I'd never do something like this and would never be friend with someone who did.

But I didn't know the dead guy OR the jackasses who pulled the stunt so it's just funny to me.
I completely agree with this. Yeah it's really messed up but just thinking about all those guys at that lake and like an army just coming over the hill and massacring them I just can't keep a straight face. I've also felt this way when I saw the video of some random guy who was asked to drink a bottle of ipecac for $100. he had know idea that he would be violently vomiting for like 10 min he seriously thought he was gonna die. That video inspired the "puke contest" in family guy, stewies expression was almost exactly like the guy in the real video. It was so wrong yet so funny

moonmaster said:
Things like this are only funny if they aren't real. If this was a skit on a tv show, or a faked online video it would be funny, but someone actually died. Its sort of like this: If a man walked up to a baby, pulled something out of its hands and began punching it, that would be horrible and that man would be sent to jail for a long time. But on "Robot Chicken", when they do a stopmotion animation of a man grabbing candy from a baby and punching it in the face, thats funny. Its violent and horrible, but its being presented as something thats so horrible that no one would do it in real life, which makes it ridiculous and therefore humorous. When someone actually does it, its just plain disgusting. Like this.

I agree completely.

Durp durp Diddly-Durp durp!

Latest posts

Back