Warnings on Sesame Street!!

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
I know we have a weird news thread but this is just so damn cool

18medium6001.jpg

Sunny days! The earliest episodes of "Sesame Street" are available on digital video! Break out some Keebler products, fire up the DVD player and prepare for the exquisite pleasure-pain of top-shelf nostalgia.

Just don't bring the children. According to an earnest warning on Volumes 1 and 2, "Sesame Street: Old School" is adults-only: "These early 'Sesame Street' episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child."

Say what? At a recent all-ages home screening, a hush fell over the room. "What did they do to us?" asked one Gen-X mother of two, finally. The show rolled, and the sweet trauma came flooding back. What they did to us was hard-core. Man, was that scene rough. The masonry on the dingy brownstone at 123 Sesame Street, where the closeted Ernie and Bert shared a dismal basement apartment, was deteriorating. Cookie Monster was on a fast track to diabetes. Oscar's depression was untreated. Prozacky Elmo didn't exist.

more here http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html

:lol: :lol: this just made me laugh. It's brilliant it's almost like they are joking but they aren't :lol:

It's funny, alright. But not the good kind of funny.

My favorite part is "the milk looks dangerously whole." :D This, people, is why Disney movies have gone from Maleficent "all of the powers of Hell" (from Sleeping Beauty, an all-time classic) to Alameda "look at me! I yodel!" Slim (from Home on the Range, the last traditionally-animated feature Disney has made so far, and so entirely forgettable I had to look up the villain's name).

no one found this funny?

More like sad, as in the level of PC-ness going on in the world.

I watched these as a kid...I grew up on Sesame Street and I don't think it's a coincidence that I was in gifted classes all throughout elementary school and Jr. High. There's nothing wrong with them.

I wanted to eat cookies for meals too, all the time...but it had nothing to do with Cookie Monster liking cookies. It's because cookies are ****ing awesome. Having Cookie Monster not want cookies all the time is not going to make kids crave vegetables. That's not how it works.

As for Oscar the Grouch...welcome to the real world. All grown-ups act are grouchy. Seeing Oscar gave me a heads up on dealing with it.

But the best thing about old Sesame Street....no Elmo.

I'm with VFD and E. It's funny, in a very sad way. I grew up on late 80's/early 90s Sesame Street. How did I turn out? Fine. Sure, I'm a big guy, but it had nothing to do with Cookie Monster. Hell, it really had nothing to do with cookies. Oscar the Grouch? He was funny. Now he has depression? What the hell? He was just grouchy! And the whole Bert and Ernie being gay is so ridiculous. Sure, it's possible, but they don't even begin to explore their relationship. It's two friends living together. Hell, I have two separate groups of guy friends that live together and only one of them is gay. And even if they are, so what?

Three generations turned out fine with the way it was, what's the big deal now?

More like sad, as in the level of PC-ness going on in the world.

I watched these as a kid...I grew up on Sesame Street and I don't think it's a coincidence that I was in gifted classes all throughout elementary school and Jr. High. There's nothing wrong with them.

I wanted to eat cookies for meals too, all the time...but it had nothing to do with Cookie Monster liking cookies. It's because cookies are ****ing awesome. Having Cookie Monster not want cookies all the time is not going to make kids crave vegetables. That's not how it works.

As for Oscar the Grouch...welcome to the real world. All grown-ups act are grouchy. Seeing Oscar gave me a heads up on dealing with it.

But the best thing about old Sesame Street....no Elmo.

Yeah I see your point. I just had visions of a child going to buy season 1 on dvd and been told "Sorry kid your underage for this" :lol:

Latest posts

Back