Why the Hulk and not Magneto

Johnny Bravo said:
We'll never see Mags executed in th UU, for the simple reason that having him alive suits Marvel better from a storytelling point of view. Mags serves best as a threat that can always be hanging over their heads, about to strike. Also a Mags story done well is unbelieveable, and it doesn't serve them well to do him off. The same reason they have the Hulk on the run now, that's how he's done best.

And as for the thread's initial q, the Hulk incident was a lot more black & white than Magneto's situation. Also, if i'm remembering correctly, Mags didn't start the war with humans, America did when they launched the Sentinels into the Savage Land in Tomorrow People?Its been a while since I read Millar's run though....

I think you have it completely right.

America launched a full-scale attack on a fully populated Mutant City without warning. I mean, do we even know how many innocent mutants died in that attack?

Magneto was provoked the first time... The second time he never even got to the level where people were being slaughtered by the lot, and so on and so forth. There are so many levels of his crime. I mean, we all know he's guilty, but what exactly is he guilty of. And how could they even prove that he killed anyone. If Magneto took the argument that all of those Metal objects stood up and killed the targets themselves... How could anyone prove him wrong? How do Mutant Forensics teams figure that all out...

Hulk was bruce banner. He eat people. He killed thousands. One guy.

Yeah...

Bass said:
and a lot of politics when dealing with fundamentalist right-wing groups, their incarcerated leaders -

Um, right wing? Magneto? The man is a vegetarian and demands Solar powered everything. The man in an environmentalist. The guy is left wing. Just because he wants violence doesn't mean he's right wing

P.S. I like him too much too.

Johnny Bravo said:
if i'm remembering correctly, Mags didn't start the war with humans, America did when they launched the Sentinels into the Savage Land in Tomorrow People?Its been a while since I read Millar's run though....

Uh, yeah from what I gathered Magento is responsible for 9/11 in the Ultimate Universe. You know the attacks on NYC and Washington as stated at the beginning of The Tomarrow People. Which is why Bush continued the Sentinel initiative. Which lead Magneto to capture Jenna, which lead Bush to send the Sentinels to the savageland.

Hawkeye101 said:
Uh, yeah from what I gathered Magento is responsible for 9/11 in the Ultimate Universe. You know the attacks on NYC and Washington as stated at the beginning of The Tomarrow People. Which is why Bush continued the Sentinel initiative. Which lead Magneto to capture Jenna, which lead Bush to send the Sentinels to the savageland.

Like I said, its been a while since i read Tomorrow People. Do you mean attacks on par with 911 or literally 911?

Hawkeye101 said:
This confuses me, As I have pieced together, Magneto is responsible for 9/11 in the Ultimateverse. He attacks washington. He has the washington bridge blown up and then threatens the entirety of the world on his floaty asteroid in the arctic. All the while completely aware of what he has done.

Hulk kills eight-hundred or so, completely stupidafied by the hulk serum, and the Hulk recieves the death sentance. Magneto, however, does not. What gives!? I can't find anything that would explain this apparent paradox.
Loki.

Hawkeye101 said:
Um, right wing? Magneto? The man is a vegetarian and demands Solar powered everything. The man in an environmentalist. The guy is left wing. Just because he wants violence doesn't mean he's right wing

P.S. I like him too much too.

Nah. Right-wing is the concept of "I know what's better for you. You do as you're told." and Left-wing is the concept of "People can do what they want so long as it doesn't hurt anyone." They have their places. Left-wing is good for friends and local communities, but Right-wing is good for parents and military institutions.

Someone's goals can be what's considered "left-wing" such as pro-abortion, pro-environment, or whatever. But as soon as they begin lobbying that their opinions on society are the only applicable ones and lose any empathy for their opposition, they become right-wing.

Left-wing and Right-wing isn't decided by just what buzz word people use in politics, but an attitude towards a social or cultural issue.

At least that's what I think. :D

Dr. Strangefate said:
I'm pretty sure the Gas Chamber is no longer considered Humane Execution... I mean, thats what the Nazis did...
Well, they used it in the U.S. in the.....70's....I think. But yeah it was used and I believe it can still be "requested" by a deathrow inmate.

Johnny Bravo said:
Like I said, its been a while since i read Tomorrow People. Do you mean attacks on par with 911 or literally 911?

Litterally 9/11. At the beginning of The Tomarrow People, it says that the Brotherhood is responsible for the attacks on Washington and NYC next to the picture of a fireman carrying a victim and yelling.

Last edited:
Hmm, Really?

That's interesting, but isn't the whole Iraqi Conflict going on in the UU? Don't we need to be hunting down the middle eastern terrorist groups for that? Or maybe we just credited Hussein for helping out Magneto, and thats why we went in...

Yeah, it's kind of confusing. But I remember someone on this site saying 9/11 never happened in the Ultimate Universe but it was replaced by what Magneto was doing. So why are we in Iraq in the comics? Someone should ask Millar that because I don't think WTC Bombings were ever mentioned in the Ultimate Universe.

I don't think they actually said it was Iraq, though its not hard to see why people would say that. And Tony said why they went to the middle east in issue 7.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But I remember someone on this site saying 9/11 never happened in the Ultimate Universe but it was replaced by what Magneto was doing. So why are we in Iraq in the comics? Someone should ask Millar that because I don't think WTC Bombings were ever mentioned in the Ultimate Universe.
They never mentioned the WTC Bombings in the comics, but they do mention 9/11 in the Ultimates Annual, I think. The way I understood it was that Magneto's attacks had nothing to do with 9/11 which was the same thing as always. However, I could be wrong.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Hmm, Really?

That's interesting, but isn't the whole Iraqi Conflict going on in the UU? Don't we need to be hunting down the middle eastern terrorist groups for that? Or maybe we just credited Hussein for helping out Magneto, and thats why we went in...

Magneto was buying weapons from Middle Eastern men in the Tomarrow people as well. The US could have easily pieced that together and that's what started the Iraq war.

Here kids.......Magneto didn't take down the Towers, it was a nutcase sitting in a cave yelling "Jihad." Seriously.

On a serious note, if Mags had done that, the Sentinels would have been sent in long before#6. And, considering Marvels output & support post-911 I can't see them re-writing that in any Universe. Clutching at straws....

Well, they didn't know where the Savage Land is before Cyclops lands there... At which point they send in a fleet of death machines to annihilate an entire city.

The unseen New York attack probably took down the World Trade Center...

The Pentagon attack was most definitely Detonator exploding (as shown in "Return of the King")

They were probably looking for Magneto in some Pakistani caves..

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yeah, it's kind of confusing. But I remember someone on this site saying 9/11 never happened in the Ultimate Universe but it was replaced by what Magneto was doing. So why are we in Iraq in the comics? Someone should ask Millar that because I don't think WTC Bombings were ever mentioned in the Ultimate Universe.

Well, you could use the same argument for "why are we in Iraq in the real world?" It doesn't have anything to do with 9/11.

But back on topic, i think Loki is a pretty good reason.

Random said:
Because it would cause a huge turmoil in human mutant relations. Many mutants think of Magneto as their leader. We are now seeing the Brother being a little less violent with out him, but if he were to be killed it may can a riot.

I agree with Random it would case a huge proble. But maybe just maybe Fury has some big plans for Magneto.

icemastertron said:
I don't think they actually said it was Iraq, though its not hard to see why people would say that.
Look at the first page of U2 #7. Though they never say it, Iran is clearly highlighted in red on Fury's map. I mentioned it in the U2#7 thread, but no one seemed to care. :(

I really think 9/11, as we see it is what they have in UU. Millar has mentioned that he's trying to make the Ultimates as realistically as possible, including the acknowledgment of current events. That's why he decided to use Dubya's mug for the President, current raids of the Ultimates in Middle Eastern countries and stuff like that. Regarding the comment about NYC being attacked, I don't think it specifically means the 9/11 bombing. NYC is probably the whipping boy of the Ultimate Universe, considering all the crazy superhumans running around and trashing everything. It makes sense that the 9/11 terrorist attack was successful, considering that most of the super-heroes only surfaced in 2004, in UU's timeline. Back in UU 2001, Parker is still a skinny normal nerd, Jean Grey's still in the nuthouse because she's hearing voices, and Cap is still a popsicle.

Latest posts

Back