Wizard reveals new Ultimates 3 information, sketches

On MW, someone has read the new Comic Box 9 (A European comics mag), which has an interview with Joe Q. He mentions Ultimates V3, as summarized below:

Ultimates 3 is late, that's why it's not solicited yet and will not be solicited before summer.
Ultimates 4 looks to move faster.

On MW, someone has read the new Comic Box 9 (A European comics mag), which has an interview with Joe Q. He mentions Ultimates V3, as summarized below:

Ultimates 3 is late, that's why it's not solicited yet and will not be solicited before summer.

Oh...that's great...Joe Mad's had all this time and they're still late?

Greetings Everyone,
This particular thread spurred me from inaction into posting my thoughts on this issue. I work at a comic store up here in the North East US (Very North East) and I have seen a lot of the solicitations come and go into late and delayed books and I have to say, it is really starting to bug me. These people are professionals. This is their job. It is unfair to those of us who pay their salaries to promise one thing and consistently deliver late. Another huge example of this is McNiven on Civil War. Why has this become, and especially in Marvel, an acceptable set back? If my boss asked me to clean a rack and I told him it would be a lot nice and higher quality if I cleaned the rack tomorrow, or better yet the next week, how long would I have a job; how long would any of us have jobs if we treated things that way?
What really irks me is that are so many talented artists who DO get their work on time, who do act like professionals and yet we get late book after late book. Now, even when this guy has had so much extra time because of someone else's poor deadline hitting ability, he is still going to be late. This is the kind of thing that requires a message, but unfortunately, it is the kind of message none of us want to send.How do we get these people to listen? Not buy the book... but we are all so engaged (myself included) that it isn't going to happen. I think they understand that. So is there anything else that can be done? If there is I think it is important it gets done so we can send the message to be what you are, professionals.

~AnTwan

Greetings, I know I lurked here for like a month before I started posting here.

Now, to what you said.

Oh, yeah. It's stupid and only one artist (to me) is worth the wait...Hitch.

And since this came out of the Ultimates 3 thing, I have to say Joe Mad's had what...half a year that we know of, he HAD to be informed before we were that he'd be doing Ultimates 3. And he still can't make the first issue on time.

That's so bad, he should be fired. Give the book to someone else. (Maleev, Leinil Francis Yu, and Peterson all spring to mind right away).

And about the Civil War thing. Yeah, but I'm not sure how much was McNiven's fault and how much was Millar's fault. But either way, it's a BIG CROSSOVER that has way too many tie-ins. It needed to come out on time, not just for that story, but because of all the tie-ins also depend on Civil War being on time.

I don't disagree at all at anything you said, and again, welcome AnTwan.

Greetings Everyone,
This particular thread spurred me from inaction into posting my thoughts on this issue. I work at a comic store up here in the North East US (Very North East) and I have seen a lot of the solicitations come and go into late and delayed books and I have to say, it is really starting to bug me. These people are professionals. This is their job. It is unfair to those of us who pay their salaries to promise one thing and consistently deliver late. Another huge example of this is McNiven on Civil War. Why has this become, and especially in Marvel, an acceptable set back? If my boss asked me to clean a rack and I told him it would be a lot nice and higher quality if I cleaned the rack tomorrow, or better yet the next week, how long would I have a job; how long would any of us have jobs if we treated things that way?
What really irks me is that are so many talented artists who DO get their work on time, who do act like professionals and yet we get late book after late book. Now, even when this guy has had so much extra time because of someone else's poor deadline hitting ability, he is still going to be late. This is the kind of thing that requires a message, but unfortunately, it is the kind of message none of us want to send.How do we get these people to listen? Not buy the book... but we are all so engaged (myself included) that it isn't going to happen. I think they understand that. So is there anything else that can be done? If there is I think it is important it gets done so we can send the message to be what you are, professionals.

~AnTwan

I totally agree with what you said.

Foolsfolly - So, let's just say that Joe Mad delay the first issue, why he should be fire and not Hitch that delayed so MUCH more then him?

Whatever, I'm not buying Ultimates 2, I'll wait for trade. If Ultimates 3 starts delaying as much as 2 I'll do the same.

Maybe you guys should.... I don't know give it a shot at least. Nothing will ever hold a candle to Millar and Hitch's run on this so if you're going off of the fact their following them up, maybe you should just give up comics all together because very little will be this good.

Maybe you guys should.... I don't know give it a shot at least. Nothing will ever hold a candle to Millar and Hitch's run on this so if you're going off of the fact their following them up, maybe you should just give up comics all together because very little will be this good.

Exactly. I'll always give books a try. At least once. It's a fact of the business that teams change. No one just rides it out to the end. And to be honest---they need to.

If you just stick with one team/comic...stuff gets to be stale. Perfect example is Bendis/Bags on USM.

I used to read Loeb's Superman/Batman. Then he left. I gave the new team a shot but just didn't like 'em. So I dropped the book. Fair enough. But to just drop a book because you think it's gonna suck is just plain dumb.

That's like saying you were gonna drop UFF because Ellis/Immonen quit. Had you followed your logic---you would've completely missed out on Millar/Land's awesome run.

I personally am looking forward to Loeb inject some real fun into Ultimates. Hopefully it won't be too campy.

Oh, yeah. It's stupid and only one artist (to me) is worth the wait...Hitch.

And since this came out of the Ultimates 3 thing, I have to say Joe Mad's had what...half a year that we know of, he HAD to be informed before we were that he'd be doing Ultimates 3. And he still can't make the first issue on time.

That's so bad, he should be fired. Give the book to someone else. (Maleev, Leinil Francis Yu, and Peterson all spring to mind right away).

And about the Civil War thing. Yeah, but I'm not sure how much was McNiven's fault and how much was Millar's fault. But either way, it's a BIG CROSSOVER that has way too many tie-ins. It needed to come out on time, not just for that story, but because of all the tie-ins also depend on Civil War being on time.

I think the blame can mostly fall on Mr. Quesada. He has been over the top lienient with late books, but I suppose it is tough to condem people for something you are notorious for.

The tie-in thing is probably the biggest issue. Amazing Spider-Man keeps getting delayed, but certainly not because JMS and Garney don't have it together. It just makes it more bittersweet that both The Ultimates and Civil War have been really freaking good.

I totally agree with what you said.

Foolsfolly - So, let's just say that Joe Mad delay the first issue, why he should be fire and not Hitch that delayed so MUCH more then him?

Whatever, I'm not buying Ultimates 2, I'll wait for trade. If Ultimates 3 starts delaying as much as 2 I'll do the same.

I basically agree with what AnTwan said, but I need to address this.

The difference between Joe Mad and Bryan Hitch is Hitch used his time off to get ahead on Ultimates 2. The first 5 issues of Ultimates 2 were on time.

Joe Mad's had roughly the same amount of time. . .and his first issue is already late. So late, in fact, that it won't even hit until summer.

I'm telling you. . .Ultimates 3 will become the next Battle Chasers.

Last edited:
They should have switched Ed McGuiness and Joe Mad around. At least McGuiness finishes his stuff.

You got to be ****ing kidding me!

This can't be right. They've had like 6 months to get ahead...and they're late?!?! They could have finished it by now if they pulled their thumbs out of their collective asses (since I don't have a specific person to blame yet).

Greetings Everyone,

~AnTwan

Maybe if I put some guns to Loeb's and Mad's heads, telling them they had a week per issue, otherwise the trigger gets pulled. I'm thinking some Jigsaw (from Saw) type device would be suitable.

The difference between Joe Mad and Bryan Hitch is Hitch used his time off to get ahead on Ultimates 2. The first 5 issues of Ultimates 2 were on time.

Joe Mad's had roughly the same amount of time. . .and his first issue is already late. So late, in fact, that it won't even hit until summer.

I'm telling you. . .Ultimates 3 will become the next Battle Chasers.

Nah...Ultimates isn't a creator-owned book, and has a big enough following that if the need came, they'd bring someone else in to finish the art...I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do so now...before Mad stretches Ultimates 3 out to such a degree it makes Ultimates 1 and 2 seem like a weekly book.

Nah...Ultimates isn't a creator-owned book, and has a big enough following that if the need came, they'd bring someone else in to finish the art...I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do so now...before Mad stretches Ultimates 3 out to such a degree it makes Ultimates 1 and 2 seem like a weekly book.

I point you to Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk. I rest my case.

Far as I remember, the first 7 were on time.

With the news that Rhyo posted, they would have already done so. BUT! Since there was all this news about Mad drawing the series, and since the contract has already been signed (I doubt anyone would work before their payment is all settled and what not), I don't think they'd bring in someone else. They havent before on this series, they won't now. Especially since he already begun.

Last edited:
I point you to Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk. I rest my case.

You're comparing The Ultimates to Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk? And then resting your case? Puh-leeze.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Mad isn't working on any top rated TV shows in his "spare time" (though Loeb is...however, I think we can all safely say if there are any delays, it can be attributed to Mad).

I'm not familiar with how well Loeb keeps to his schedule, but I know Mad is terrible at it.

You're comparing The Ultimates to Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk? And then resting your case? Puh-leeze.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Mad isn't working on any top rated TV shows in his "spare time" (though Loeb is...however, I think we can all safely say if there are any delays, it can be attributed to Mad).

I'm not familiar with how well Loeb keeps to his schedule, but I know Mad is terrible at it.

My point was more to the fact that Wolverine vs Hulk was popular, but they refused to take Lindelof off the title.

They could put McGuiness on it since he's doing 4. And it'd be out on-time. It'd be the next Superman/Batman. Who cares about Mad?

Latest posts

Back