X-Men: Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

So…Whadja think?

• Total voters
Hasn't the continuity of the X-Men movies pretty much been a complete mess for years now. It may not make total sense, but I appreciate that this film corrected course as much as possible. At least Cyclops, Jean, Rogue and Professor X are all still alive and on the team.

The timeline makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

They used Wolverine, Kitty, and Mystique the way they did because they were trying to balance the elements from the original story with the universe they had created for the movies.

The original story was written in the 70s, so that was the "present" part and the future was i think in the 90s. Kitty was sent back in that story by Rachel Grey to stop Mystique from assassinating Senator Kelly. DoFP was actually Mystique's first appearance in the comics.

They wanted this movie to bridge the original trilogy with the prequels, so they couldn't very well send Kitty back in time. They could have sent Charles, Erik, or Wolverine, but the heart of the movie was Charles and Erik's struggle/friendship, so they sent Wolverine back. And they did a good job with him. He wasn't the focus at all.

I guess they made it so that Kitty was the one who sent him back because they wanted her to remain important to the story. It doesn't make much sense, but it was a nod to the comics.

And Mystique's important role wasn't a stretch. She was the one they were trying to stop in the comics too. But in the movie universe, they had established her as a stone cold killer and mutant activist, but then showed that she was like a sister to Charles growing up. This movie showed how that transformation happened in her.

I guess I should have stated that I am familiar with the comics and story and they're trying to make nods to the comics. That aside I'm talking solely about how some of it didn't work. It's fine that they used the characters the way they did but in the larger scope of the mythology it didn't make sense. Wolverine going back was all good. Made sense. Kitty being given extra unexplained powers, regardless of being a nod to the comics, did not. Mystique's role as a killer and assassin was spot on but I was talking about giving her the added importance with trying to tie her powers in with the Sentinels adaptions.

Last edited:
I guess I should have stated that I am familiar with the comics and story and they're trying to make nods to the comics. That aside I'm talking solely about how some of it didn't work. It's fine that they used the characters the way they did but in the larger scope of the mythology it didn't make sense. Wolverine going back was all good. Made sense. Kitty being given extra unexplained powers, regardless of being a nod to the comics, did not. Mystique's role as a killer and assassin was spot on but I was talking about giving her the added importance with trying to tie her powers in with the Sentinels adaptions.

Yeah okay, fair enough. And sorry for assuming that you just didn't get it. I should go by the assumption that you guys know the classic stories.

I fully agree that Kittty's powers don't make sense. My reaction was, "That doesn't really make sense, but I'm glad they kept her at least sort of important in the story."

And with Mystique… they established in First Class that her specific mutant ability was special when Beast used it to try and transform himself. But I think this movie was trying to bridge who she was in First Class and who she becomes in the later movies. So there needed to be a little bit more exploration of her relationships with Charles and Erik. They probably could have done that without using her DNA to advance the sentinels, but I don't really see why it's a problem that they did.

Finally got around to seeing this.

Man, it was good. Definitely the best X-Men film.

Overall it was great, but the ending with the surprise appearances of a few old members of the team who'd died was a great nod to both fans wishes and acting as an example of how the timeline has changed.

Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to it coming out on DVD so I can marathon them all at home (yes, even Origins - Wolverine... gotta take the good with the bad).

I'm really interested if they're going to do anything with the wolverine that stayed in the past and was rescued by mystique. was that a way to just keep wolverine around for the prequel movies? would he get his adamantium still with maybe help from magneto? a lot of really cool things could come from that and I can't wait for apocalypse.....aside from Channing tattum playing gambit that parts awe full.

I'm really interested if they're going to do anything with the wolverine that stayed in the past and was rescued by mystique. was that a way to just keep wolverine around for the prequel movies? would he get his adamantium still with maybe help from magneto? a lot of really cool things could come from that and I can't wait for apocalypse.....aside from Channing tattum playing gambit that parts awe full.

Hey kickface, welcome to the comic board! :)

Wolverine always was in the past. They sent his consciousness/mind back into his old body. That's why when they stop Mystique from shooting Trask and Wolverine sees Stryker and freaks out he doesn't know where he is. When he freaks out, his consciousness sort of goes back to the future (when he cuts Kitty) and so the Wolverine from the past has control over himself again, but doesn't remember how he got there. The last thing he remembers is sleeping with the girl he was supposed to be guarding. So when the movie was over, his consciousness went back to the future and his past self is in control again.

That was really confusing. Think of it this way: They send his mind back in time to possess his younger body. But his younger body was there in the first place and so it was there at the end.

Hey kickface, welcome to the comic board! :) Wolverine always was in the past. They sent his consciousness/mind back into his old body. That's why when they stop Mystique from shooting Trask and Wolverine sees Stryker and freaks out he doesn't know where he is. When he freaks out, his consciousness sort of goes back to the future (when he cuts Kitty) and so the Wolverine from the past has control over himself again, but doesn't remember how he got there. The last thing he remembers is sleeping with the girl he was supposed to be guarding. So when the movie was over, his consciousness went back to the future and his past self is in control again. That was really confusing. Think of it this way: They send his mind back in time to possess his younger body. But his younger body was there in the first place and so it was there at the end.

Exactly.

But as for Mystique taking Wolverine (while she's posing as Stryker), it can be assumed she finds out about the Weapon X project and submits Wolverine to it anyway. It's likely it happened similarly to how it happened in the X-Men Origins - Wolverine film, except it's Mystique posing as Stryker instead of it actually being Stryker. One could assume she out Wolverine through the adamantium bonding process because she knew he'd survive it, and more importantly (despite her fighting for mutant rights and fighting against the experiments on mutants Trask was conducting), she was willing to put Wolverine through that as she knew his healing factor in combination with adamantium coated claws would be a useful weapon in case the Sentinels did go active in the future.

Least, that's how I'm explaining her motivations to myself.

i just saw this the other day. Holy **** this film rocked! my only complaint is the future sentials looked like ass to me , the ones in the past though looked soooo good so it's okay :) can not wait for apocalypse though he looked a little skinny in teaser at end

Mole, your post reminded me that I still hadn't seen this so I watched it yesterday.

It was...okayish. I liked First Class better but this was definitely better than Last Stand. There were a few plot holes (or maybe just inconsistencies) that bugged me, and I generally feel like if I notice a plot hole it has to be pretty bad because I generally don't notice them and don't ever look for them.

Mole, your post reminded me that I still hadn't seen this so I watched it yesterday.

It was...okayish. I liked First Class better but this was definitely better than Last Stand. There were a few plot holes (or maybe just inconsistencies) that bugged me, and I generally feel like if I notice a plot hole it has to be pretty bad because I generally don't notice them and don't ever look for them.

What were the plot holes?

What were the plot holes?

The biggest one was more of an inconsistency I guess, but it was how nothing changed until the moment that Mystique didn't kill Trask. It ignores all of the things that were different until that point, as if nothing else mattered.

The biggest one was more of an inconsistency I guess, but it was how nothing changed until the moment that Mystique didn't kill Trask. It ignores all of the things that were different until that point, as if nothing else mattered.

I haven't watched it since last summer, but if I remember correctly, nothing changed until Wolverine woke up.

I haven't watched it since last summer, but if I remember correctly, nothing changed until Wolverine woke up.

Now I can't remember - maybe. But it's the same idea. Things should have been changing the instant that he went back in time.

Now I can't remember - maybe. But it's the same idea. Things should have been changing the instant that he went back in time.

Okay, I get that. But I'm pretty sure they explained at the beginning that while he was asleep in their reality/his consciousness was in the past, the new timeline would be fluid and not set yet so everything would remain the same. As soon as he woke up the new timeline would snap into place. Maybe unrealistic (haha, "THAT'S NOT HOW TIME TRAVEL WORKS!!!") but I think they covered their bases.

I thought it was great. For the most part, the plot made sense to me (I'm willing to forgive some inconsistencies regarding time travel), and more importantly, it did a really good job of fixing a lot of the problems in the X-men film series.

Also, I've heard rumors that Idris Elba will be Apocalypse in the sequel.

Latest posts

Back