Your 5 favorite films of 2006 -- Update as you go.

7. The Devil Wears Prada - (9/10) - Anne Hathaway wins me over in this film... And Meryl Streyp might get an Oscar nod out of her portrayal of the Editor of Runway (aka - Fictional Vogue)

Don't worry, it's not even a question of might anymore. She's a lock for a nom, and you can take that statement and throw it back at me on Tuesday (nominations are announced) if she doesn't get one. Which, at this point in the race, would be shocking, really.

I'm loving these lists, guys! Dr. Strangefate and Planet-Man, you could probably write some really decent full-length reviews, and they would sound like a professionals, I bet. Like Moony when he writes for his school paper (and what a lucky paper for the school to have). :D

Planet-Man, you could probably write some really decent full-length reviews, and they would sound like a professionals, I bet.

Thanks, I hope you're right. That's what I want to do for a living.

Moony's lucky to have a school newspaper he can write for. Mine sucks absolute a**. When they can finally get their s*** to put out an issue, which is maybe twice a year, it's filled with inane crap about racial diversity(our school is 80% white and their was some racist graffiti last year) and comics that literally look like they were drawn by a 5-year-old(did you ever see Gamma Man's art thread? Something like that).

Thanks, I hope you're right. That's what I want to do for a living.

It's what I want to do also. But I can't write a good quality review at all -- yet. I'm hoping to take a class in college that will help with that. Because I get great grades on my English papers, but I've yet to write a review of a film that I felt was really decent.

Moony's lucky to have a school newspaper he can write for. Mine sucks absolute a**. When they can finally get their s*** to put out an issue, which is maybe twice a year, it's filled with inane crap about racial diversity(our school is 80% white and their was some racist graffiti last year) and comics that literally look like they were drawn by a 5-year-old(did you ever see Gamma Man's art thread? Something like that).

I hate bragging, but, since I've only written a couple articles for one of them, I don't feel like a complete *** for saying that our school has two newspapers, and both have won the award for best school newspaper in the U.S. at least once.

I only read one of them with any enjoyment, but, again, that's probably because I favor it over the other.

There are still a number I need to see, but here's a list of my top picks. No real order except for the first five being the ones I liked the best.

Pan's Labyrinth
Children of Men
The Departed
A Scanner Darkly
Stranger Than Fiction

Blood Diamond
Death of a President
Neil Young : Heart of Gold
V For Vendetta
The Prestige
The Science of Sleep
The Good Shepherd
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
A Prairie Home Companion

I just saw Babel tonight and I can safely say it's the best film of 2006.

I've now seen 3 of the 5 Best Picture nominations, and if this doesn't win I'll be disappointed. Little Miss Sunshine was fantastic, but just not up to the rank of Babel, and The Departed was just plain mediocre.

I've only seen The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine and of the two I'd have to vote for LMS.

Two years ago was the only time I'd ever seen all five nominees before the Oscars.

There are a few years I've retroactively caught up on though.

Latest posts

Back