15 minutes of fame up?

See...now I can understand why some people don't find Dane Cook funny. I've seen a couple of his stand-up routines. Some are funny. Some aren't. It's hit or miss with him. But for the record---I thought he was hilarious in "Waiting"..."Employee of the Month" was funny...his "Vicious Circle" special was great....his SNL gig--not so much.

So yeah....I'm a Dane Cook fan. But I'll also be the first to admit that there are comedians out there who are WAY funnier than him. But I'm a huge Patton Oswalt fan, so what do I know? :?

Comedians of Comedy :rockon:
I think describing Dane Cook as "hit or miss" is just about perfect.

I haven't really gotten into his comedy, but from what I've seen, I've only really liked about 40% of it. I also totally understand the "How does someone get that famous without making any jokes?" observation that people keep making. Cuz he really doesn't make jokes. He just says crazy things.

And the Comedians of Comedy rock. Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zack Galifinackis and Melissa Bamford is just about the best combination of awesome, insanely underrated comedians that I can think of.
Halle Berry's time's up too.
I think her time ended a few minutes ago. She's nowhere near as popular as she was a year or two ago.
ice told me to tell you guys that Borat was also on the list
As Lynx said, Borat is definitely done. This has been said a few times. But I think Sacha Baron Cohen has a good career ahead of him. I think he's good at making offensively hilarious and original characters and if he can channel that into a movie career, he'll be popular for a long time to come.

Last edited:
I've heard Sacha Baren Dohen described as the second coming of Peter sellers.

I could totally see that. Let's just hope he's not a complete jag like Sellers.

No way is Dane Cook's time is up at all. Guy makes one movie that isn't a blockbuster hit, and people are crying "Time's up!" I know sometimes that's all it tkaes, but not so in this case. He does have his comedy career, which is not going anywhere, anytime soon, contrary to what the non-blievers think. He isn't overated. He is a hit-and miss, but that's more to the work where he doesn't write his own jokes, i.e. SNL and the movies (haven't heard about him writing "Employee if the month"). He isn't a walking cliche of anyone, don't care what anyone says.

And the Comedians of Comedy rock. Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zack Galifinackis and Melissa Bamford is just about the best combination of awesome, insanely underrated comedians that I can think of.

I loved that special. I cannot wait to find it on DVD.

That part where Patton and Brian start cracking jokes about geeking out on comics was great!

"New Avengers #17? Is that Bendis'? OMG Awesome!" :lol:

Dane Cook's been spread way too thin... I wouldn't be surprised if he burnt out in the coming year. It's entirely possible if he doesn't stick with his stand-up. He was great in Waiting, but did little for me in any other movie he was in.

No way is Dane Cook's time is up at all. Guy makes one movie that isn't a blockbuster hit, and people are crying "Time's up!" I know sometimes that's all it tkaes, but not so in this case. He does have his comedy career, which is not going anywhere, anytime soon, contrary to what the non-blievers think. He isn't overated. He is a hit-and miss, but that's more to the work where he doesn't write his own jokes, i.e. SNL and the movies (haven't heard about him writing "Employee if the month"). He isn't a walking cliche of anyone, don't care what anyone says.

You're entitled to your opinions, Ice, I only ask you open your eyes a little wider.

And it really has nothing to do with his movie career. Lets face it, Hollywood and its satellites are a very "Flavor of the month" type thing. Soon people will be sick of the Cook-sicles. Trust me. I know I was after the second time I heard one of his CD's. And I haven't seen him on SNL or any of the movies he was in (except Waiting, which was lame), but from his stand-up (which I hope he's at least writing), I'd call the majority of his jokes "misses", and the ones that are funny he just drags out and beats to a dead horse while screaming into the mic. But like I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

Dane Cook's been spread way too thin... I wouldn't be surprised if he burnt out in the coming year. It's entirely possible if he doesn't stick with his stand-up. He was great in Waiting, but did little for me in any other movie he was in.

Waiting sucked. I wouldn't call him great in it. Even mediocre might be laying it on a little heavy in terms of a compliment.

You're entitled to your opinions, Ice, I only ask you open your eyes a little wider.
Open for what? I have my thoughts as you have yours, as you've said.

Waiting sucked. I wouldn't call him great in it. Even mediocre might be laying it on a little heavy in terms of a compliment.
I wouldn't call him great either in that. Again, it wasn't "his" movie and it was more of a "cameo" role per sey than anything.

I only consider it to be "15 minutes of Fame" if the person/event was the focus of at least a mild craze.

Dane Cook perpetually waxes and wains in popularity. He was popular this year because of Tourgasm and Employee of the Month, now he'll be out of the limelight for a while, and then make a comeback sometime next year, and so on. He's not a "15 Minutes" kinda guy.

Borat, on the other hand, is. And he's has about 14 minutes so far(the fifteenth will be when the DVD comes out). But after that people will forget.

Sacha Baron Cohen might have a hit with "Bruno"(or not), and he'll probably have a terrific career after that, maybe even going down as one of the Comedic Greats, but I think Borat fever is over and done with.

I only consider it to be "15 minutes of Fame" if the person/event was the focus of at least a mild craze.

Dane Cook perpetually waxes and wains in popularity. He was popular this year because of Tourgasm and Employee of the Month, now he'll be out of the limelight for a while, and then make a comeback sometime next year, and so on. He's not a "15 Minutes" kinda guy.

Borat, on the other hand, is. And he's has about 14 minutes so far(the fifteenth will be when the DVD comes out). But after that people will forget.

Sacha Baron Cohen might have a hit with "Bruno"(or not), and he'll probably have a terrific career after that, maybe even going down as one of the Comedic Greats, but I think Borat fever is over and done with.
That's a very reasonable way of putting it. Nice job.

Let me tell you the problem with Dane Cook. Some frat boys decided he was funny and started this ridiculous MTV style epidemic where everyone who wished they could be in the clique all declared he was the funniest man alive. Also younger generations began realizing how funny George Carlin was and thought, "Man, he's too old. We need someone young and hip." Bam! Dane Cook it was.

That's how it looks from my perspective. I've never laughed at a Dane Cook joke, though that may be due to all his lines suffering from 'imrickjame*****itis.' Stupid people go around repeating a quote that may have been funny the first time, to the point in which you want to shoot yourself the next time you hear it. The worst part is, the people (I know) who repeating the lines have rarely even seen the dang source material!

Last edited:
That's how it looks from my perspective. I've never laughed at a Dane Cook joke, though that may be due to all his lines suffering from 'imrickjame*****itis.' Stupid people go around repeating a quote that may have been funny the first time until it you want to shoot yourself the next time you hear it. The worst part is, the people (I know) who repeating the lines have rarely even seen the dang source material!
My sister became obsessed with Dane Cook a while ago and would go around for months saying "**** shoes, I'm goin' shoeless!" every five seconds. It was goddam annoying.

See, I don't blame people who don't want to listen to him because others have overdone it. I have a friend who's like that. I hate when people over do anything. Though his jokes don't suffer from "'imrickjame*****itis".

See, I don't blame people who don't want to listen to him because others have overdone it. I have a friend who's like that. I hate when people over do anything. Though his jokes don't suffer from "'imrickjame*****itis".

I have a friend who will derail any hilarious conversation by inevitably quoting an entire scene from Family Guy or South Park that's tangently related to the topic at hand. It's so frigging annoying.

Ice---rest easy. You have a Dane Cook fan in me. I was getting ready for work yesterday morning and HBO was playing "Vicious Circle". I've seen it like 4 times and it's still funny.

The british girl I'm seeing came over last night and stopped off at Blockbuster on the way. She brought his VC DVD with her and I ended up watching it again.

Dane Cook is funny.

"I DID MY BEST!" :cry:

:lol:

But to each his own.

Ice---rest easy. You have a Dane Cook fan in me. I was getting ready for work yesterday morning and HBO was playing "Vicious Circle". I've seen it like 4 times and it's still funny.

The british girl I'm seeing came over last night and stopped off at Blockbuster on the way. She brought his VC DVD with her and I ended up watching it again.

Dane Cook is funny.

"I DID MY BEST!" :cry:

But to each his own.
I really hope they make it into a DVD. They better.

I actually liked Waiting... And his role was for comedic purposes and I thought he was successful.

"Eat at Shennanigans, enjoy your food...
Eat at Shennanigans, CALVIN WORKS HERE!"

Hilarious to me.

He's only funny in movies. His stand up sucks. The only funny thing i heard him say was WHOPPERRRRRRRRR!!!

His "Vicious Circle" or "Tourgasm"? Because "Vicious Circle" is already on DVD---trust me---we watched it last night.

"Employee of the Month" comes to DVD on 16 Jan.
Vicious Circle is on DVD?!

Dammit! I'm on his e-mail list and he never mentioned that! Does it have the 40 minutes that was cut out?

Tourgasm is coming to a DVD box set, but there's no date yet.

Latest posts

Back